Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My 1 year Anniversary and a Big Thank You (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/654476-my-1-year-anniversary-big-thank-you.html)

BITSA 06-15-10 08:26 AM

My 1 year Anniversary and a Big Thank You

Well it’s been 1 year since I quit smoking and began cycling again. In that time I have logged a little over 2800 miles (includes trainer miles). My first ride was for 10 miles with a few stops to catch my breath while struggling up a long hill ending with a 15 MPH avg (which included the long downhill).
My last ride was for 40 miles averaging 17.2 with a route that only takes me up the long hill.

To get to where I am today, I would like to thank all of you on this forum for the inspiration and motivation to keep going and staying off the smokes. I stumbled upon this forum around July of last year and finally joined in September. I know that I have not posted a lot, but I do check in every day to see what my fellow 50+s are up to.

Because of all of you, I have completed a couple of metric centuries in the late fall, I did my birthday ride in March (age + 2 miles) and I am now preparing to complete my 1st solo century. The only thing holding be back from going for it, is I am waiting on my 50+ jersey which I should hopefully have by the end of the month. Even though I push myself to keep getting better, I have found the joy in just riding and have learned the lessons of DnvrFox’s “Smiles, not Miles” and Cranky’s “it isn't how fast you do the ride but how much you enjoyed it that counts”.

Also, I am looking forward to the September Pie Ride and maybe some of us Jersey people can get together and have a little fun with it.

RonH 06-15-10 08:46 AM

Kudos. :thumb:

Wanderer 06-15-10 08:52 AM

Congrats on your accomplishment - it's a BIG step to be off of 'em for a year. Only a couple more years, and you won't even want one anymore. LOL

How long did it take to have your taste buds regenerated - I was amazed at how good things tasted..................

NOW, NO BACKSLIDIN !

The Weak Link 06-15-10 10:26 AM

That's a lot of miles for a n00b. :thumb:

cyclinfool 06-15-10 10:30 AM

Congrats! Quitting smoking and taking up the bike - a stellar achievement.

BITSA 06-15-10 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link (Post 10965850)
That's a lot of miles for a n00b. :thumb:

It helped to ride though the winter. As long as there was no snow or ice on the road, I rode at least once every weekend. Anything over an hour on the trainer and I just want to shoot myself.

NOS88 06-15-10 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by BITSA (Post 10966175)
It helped to ride though the winter. As long as there was no snow or ice on the road, I rode at least once every weekend. Anything over an hour on the trainer and I just want to shoot myself.

We've lost more people that way. ;) Congrats on your progress.

BITSA 06-15-10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 10965311)
How long did it take to have your taste buds regenerated - I was amazed at how good things tasted..................

Your right, food tastes so much better, but unfortunately that means I eat more which means I have to ride more to keep the weight off, it’s a vicious cycle!
The improvement in my sense of smell is amazing. I was riding though a local housing development the other day and kept smelling cigarette smoke, turned out it was from a guy in his back yard

TomT74 06-15-10 11:51 AM

Congrats on an OUTSTANDING achievement.

Oh the smell of someone lighting up. I think that is the very first sensory enhancement I got when I quit 2 months back. I could tell if a driver was smoking every time a car went by. it;s still a struggle for me to keep off the nicotine.

BITSA 06-15-10 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by TomT74 (Post 10966341)
................................. it;s still a struggle for me to keep off the nicotine.

Even after a year, some things just trigger an urge. Last Friday flying back from vacation and waiting for our luggage in Newark Airport, I could have killed for one. When it happens, I just think of that long hill and how I want to crush it.

gsurko 06-15-10 01:15 PM

1.5 yrs. for me and I couldn't be happier. Hang in there, It's sooo worth it.

cranky old dude 06-15-10 04:21 PM

BITSA & gysurko, congrats to you both! This is big news!! :thumb:

DnvrFox 06-15-10 04:50 PM

Congratulations.

Thanks for the kudos about "smiles, not miles."

Keep up the good work.

cyclinfool 06-15-10 04:56 PM

With regard to the smoking thing, when I was a teen I tried it, 3 of my 4 older brothers smoked. I was lucky - it didn't agree with me so I didn't get hooked. My brothers did. Two of the three quit. I remember riding a bike with the one who still smoked. We did an overnight tour back around 1980. We climbed two mountains to get to the camp site. I still remember him smoking on the bike while we were climbing with fully loaded bikes, he was such a strong biker then. He still smokes, over weight and out of shape now. Last year I got him back into biking. He is getting stronger but hasn't quit smoking. I have him interested in doing a century next fall, I am hoping as he prepares he will find he needs to quit. It makes me so sad to see him "light up".