User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is OK to ride a bicycle and not do nor enjoy any wrenching

There - it is official!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure!! That's what I did when I started riding in 2000. I always took my bike to the shop for repairs. I learned how to change a flat at an Effective Cycling class (now called Traffic Skills 101, 201, and Commuting) in 2000.
    In 2003 I took a Park Tool class at an LBS. In 2007 I got a p/t job at a bike shop. Started selling but after a few months I was trained (on the job) to repair bikes - everything from low end 80s bikes to new road, mtn, and hybrids. Its fun.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repeat

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My spouse agrees with you.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's ok. However, doing your own wrenching has many benefits, one of which is getting the job done right. bk

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't see the relationship between turning a wrench and turning one's cranks. When you have 3 bikes you always have a spare.. Nothing against wrenching, but if you take up lots of time riding, don't you abandon your family enough . Then find yourself spending hours on end each night in the garage tooling around with your bike. Besides, I've found a very dedicated , reasonable shop owner who I trust . Why go through the aggravation.
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
    Yeah, it's ok. However, doing your own wrenching has many benefits, one of which is getting the job done right. bk

Speak for yourself. That's no guarantee when I do my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I repeat

Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is OK to ride a bicycle and not do nor enjoy any wrenching There - it is official!!
    If a cyclist won't fix a flat or install a water bottle cage, it's certainly OK, officially, ... but it's also a little silly.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    My spouse agrees with you.
    +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JazNine View Post
    If a cyclist won't fix a flat or install a water bottle cage, it's certainly OK, officially, ... but it's also a little silly.
    Who said anything about fixing a flat or installing a water-bottle-cage? I am talking about wrenching.

Wrenching, for me, does not include fixing a flat or installing a water bottle cage. I do those things all the time. Wrenching, as I define it, would include replacing the bottom bracket, changing and adjustung ders, installing stems, rebuilding bikes and other things requiring more advanced skills and knowledge.

However, it is also perfectly OK to define wrenching in any way one likes.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-15-10 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since way back in Grade School I've always done some repairs to my bikes. As time permits and the spirit moves me I slowly venture further into the magical, mystical world of Wrenching. That's just me. I'm the same with Auto repairs and home repairs...some I'll tackle and some I won't, the hard part is predetermining where my personal limitations lie.

I'll add these two thoughts.....

First: I would be hard pressed though to draw a line in the sand between just riding and riding and wrenching.

Second: This thread reminds me that as a society the less independent we are, the more robust our service industry will become.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with not wanting to work on your bike. But for all us technical brained folks - we will continue to wrench.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would qualify that by saying: If you are wealthy, it is OK...

If you like paying $50 or more every time you fly your bike somewhere, it's also OK. Otherwise, who are you going to get to take your S&S-coupled bike apart into small enough pieces to fit into the 26x26x10 case, and then put it all back together again at your destination?

I would suggest reading Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I have way more respect for people who can wrench bicycles than those who can't (or choose not to). Wrenching motorcycles is another level altogether, so wrenching bikes should be a no-brainer!

My personal line of demarcation of what separates dedicated cyclists from casual bike riders is whether or not they build their own wheels. But that aside, when I wrench my bike, I have no doubts about anything not being sound mechanically. When someone else does it, there is always some doubt...

The above might sound arrogant, and it is at odds with what everyone else is posting, but realize that I am not disparaging those who can't or choose not to wrench, and I hope I am upholding the other side of the argument. The top pros don't do their own wrenching when they are in a stage race, so who am I to disparage those who choose not to?

- Luis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have way more respect for people who can wrench bicycles than those who can't (or choose not to).
    I don't understand this, and I guess I have little of your respect. Too bad.

It is this whole guilt thing that "wrenchers" seem to want to lay on "non-wrenchers" that sort of drives me nuts!!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-15-10 at 04:51 PM.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand this, and I guess I have little of your respsect. Too bad.

It is this whole guilt thing that "wrenchers" seem to want to lay on "non-wrenchers" that sort of drives me nuts!!
    That was one of those comments you should just ignore - it's not worth even the energy to exercise the synapses enough to try to formulate the response.
    There are those of us who recognize it takes all types - most all deserve respect.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it OK to trade messages on the internet but to need a child (or grandchild) to show how to post a photograph?
    Who here does their own colonoscopies? (I'll bet you're limber.)
    What about auto maintenance and repairs?
    Plumbing, electrical work, heating and air conditioning service?
    Anybody here grow or raise all of their own food?

Nobody knows everything about everything and nobody has the ability and interest to do everything. We all make choices about what we to do for ourself and what we choose to pay others to do for us. Why should bicycles be any different than these other things.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repeat

Thank you. I do just a little bit of wrenching and there is an impulse to feel guilty about not doing more. But I have limited time for my hobbies, and I want to spend that time riding rather than wrenching. I can afford to pay the shop, so I do.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrenching a bike is nothing - NOTHING - compared to prepping your skis for cross-country ski racing and training. Talk about time-consuming!

I must say I am surprised by the tone of responses to my post. I just said I have way more respect for people who do their own wrenching. Yes, they deserve more respect, just like I had way more respect for camera-bugs who did their own developing (I never got that much into it). This does not mean that I disrespect those who don't do their own wrenching, or who can't bother to Photoshop their digital phiotos. I have way more respect - perhaps I should have said "awe" - for people who service their own cars. I do not, and I certainly don't disrespect myself!

Why are people so darned defensive, so ready to attribute the basest of motives to my post?

L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's so tough about replacing a chain, BB or cassette? Nothing, that's what. Recabling and servicing hubs aren't a problem either. Tune ups, brake pads? A snap. The labor savings pay for the tools. I enjoy it because I like my ride to be in tip top shape ALL the time.

However, I do know people who should not be allowed to own tools. They wreck anything they touch with a tool. My Dad was like this. Fortunately, he had two sons who are toolheads. So, YES, you do not have to wrench to get with biking. Do so, secure in the knowledge that us toolheads are not laughing behind your backs. We may scratch our heads in wonder. But laughing? No. bk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess one could write a scale

Respect a lot ............... Some Respect.............. A little Respect ................No respect...................Absolutely No Respect

And one could place themselves somewhere upon your line based on how they did their wrenching - or didn't do it.

If someone says they have "way more respect" then I would guess it would be two or three degrees to the left of what is thought about those who don't wrench.

I guess it may have to do with the definition of the word "respect.' Personally, I base my respect or not on a whole lot of other life factors, attitudes and accomplishments than wrenching or not.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke View Post
    However, I do know people who should not be allowed to own tools. They wreck anything they touch with a tool. My Dad was like this. Fortunately, he had two sons who are toolheads. So, YES, you do not have to wrench to get with biking. Do so, secure in the knowledge that us toolheads are not laughing behind your backs. We may scratch our heads in wonder. But laughing? No. bk
    I'm OK owning tools (I like tools) I just shouldn't be allowed to use them. One of my favorite saying is " I wouldn't ride a bike that I worked on and neither should you".

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have different comfort evels when working on bikes. If you're not comfortable and fairly confident doing the work don't do it.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    My personal line of demarcation of what separates dedicated cyclists from casual bike riders is whether or not they build their own wheels.
    Huh. Must be I'm not dedicated enough for you.

My personal line of demarcation is whether or not you own or use a motor vehicle. By that scale, I'm dedicated.

Willing to junk all your cars, trucks, motorcycles and riding lawnmowers and join me?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr,

I seriously doubt Lance (or any other top rider) spends a lot of time wrenching so I'm guessing you are in pretty good company.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast