Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   French Fries, Bikinis, Sunshine and Pizza... Ah, Springtime in Maine! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/654591-french-fries-bikinis-sunshine-pizza-ah-springtime-maine.html)

Sculptor7 06-15-10 03:44 PM

French Fries, Bikinis, Sunshine and Pizza... Ah, Springtime in Maine!

Took my ritual spring ride of 32 miles down to Old Orchard Beach, Maine's departure from all things serious. Sat and ate a slice of pepperoni and watched the people who make up a certain segment of Vacationland that seems at odds with writing, painting and summer theater.

It always takes me back many years when we would make our summer excursions to the beach. They were not excursions in the sense of anything grand. More like a very hot and somewhat disagreeable ride on the subway which magically came out of a tunnel and across the marsh to the shore. The ride home was even worse what with sunburn, a sandy, somewhat damp bathing suit under my shorts and all the paraphernalia that a hardworking mother seemed to require for her three charges.

Yet, even now the magic is still there. The ocean breeze, the smells of junk food and suntan lotion, the gawdy colors of the stands and rides and above all, the sense that something wonderful was just around the corner.

Oh, by the way, my new Trek made it all so much more enjoyable!

Retro Grouch 06-15-10 04:57 PM

Shouldn't there be a photo with this post?

Uh - I know what pizza and french fries look like so don't bother with them.

Sculptor7 06-15-10 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 10967971)
Shouldn't there be a photo with this post?

Uh - I know what pizza and french fries look like so don't bother with them.

I agree. Really need to get another camera.

The Weak Link 06-15-10 05:28 PM

Worthless without pics.

Sorry.

JohnDThompson 06-15-10 06:01 PM

That does it. After a week of rain, gloom, and temperatures in the low 60sF, I'm moving to Maine.

Retro Grouch 06-15-10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 10968244)
That does it. After a week of rain, gloom, and temperatures in the low 60sF, I'm moving to Maine.

I wish that you hadn't posted that. I'm leaving Saturday for Door County.

stringbreaker 06-15-10 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 10968244)

We have that about 9 months out of the year. Officially Seattle hasn't had a day of 75 degrees or above this year. Although it was 83 in my yard last saturday in full sun exposure in the garden

Allegheny Jet 06-15-10 09:07 PM

"Bikinis"

Usage of the "bikinis" word in the title without pictures should warrant at least a 1 month ban. Where are the Mod's when we need them?

shovelhd 06-15-10 09:23 PM

I was there a few weeks ago. There was a beer tasting on the pier. Two of the beer girls were tossing ice cubes into each other's halter tops. Sorry, no pics. 5 bucks for the samples, 6 bucks for a lobster roll, and no charge for the show.

t4mv 06-15-10 09:43 PM

Ha ha, I don't know if you folks have noticed or not, but the couple-three times I've visited this thread in hopes of seeing pics-or-it-didn't-happen proof, the banner ads at the very top have shown bikini-clad women or pizzas... I'm waiting for the french fry and sunshine ads to pop up any visit, now.

Tom Bombadil 06-15-10 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 10969063)
"Bikinis"

Usage of the "bikinis" word in the title without pictures should warrant at least a 1 month ban. Where are the Mod's when we need them?

I agree. It was the only reason I opened this thread.

Tom Bombadil 06-15-10 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here, let me fix this thread

t4mv 06-15-10 11:08 PM

Interesting.......... Apparently there is more reason to visit ME than ice cream.:innocent:

*whoops, I meant toothpaste. Is there any difference anyway, between VT and ME?..... :D

gbalke 06-16-10 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 10968947)
I wish that you hadn't posted that. I'm leaving Saturday for Door County.

Mind if I tag along? I haven't been to Door Cty in years, loved Washington Island.

For people who don't know, Door Cty is the Midwestern version of Cape Cod, minus the lobster.

stapfam 06-16-10 11:47 AM

I live only 6 miles from the coast and the seafront. Problem with Eastbourne- our local resort- is that it has the oldest aged population in the County if not the UK. Highlight of a Sunday morning is watching The Zimmer frame race from the hotels to the best spots on the pier.

Luckily we don't have many pizza places - Too much nouvelle cuisine for the residents.

And on the weather- The South East is basking in glorious sunshine and temps into the high 70's. Not a cloud in the sky. Only drawback is the 20mph wind from the North that makes it topcoat time.

Cone Wrench 06-16-10 12:03 PM

While I agree that the lack of pictures is a grievous offence, I think the OP realized that an ad for Victoria's Secret would appear at the top of the page. Very clever, my lobster-eating, L.L. Bean-wearing friend, but what about the poor sods who have paid memberships and don't get the ads? Hmmm?

rumrunn6 06-16-10 01:53 PM

I like the beach too. Let's keep it at that.