Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna ride my age

Thursday is my birthday so Saturday I'm gonna ride my age, now I have a question do I need to add tenths of a mile for the extra couple of days?
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does you cyclometer measure hundredths? If so, better figure in the hours/minutes. I'm assuming you have your Birth Certificate handy and that it lists the time. Otherwise you'll have to add on the whole extra mile just to be sure. No soup for you unless you get them ALL in.

You planning on riding your new Tourist? I'll be going for my age (54) on mine this Saturday.
    Ride Bike.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For each day past your birthday, you are required to add 14.46 feet, or it doesn't count, and you will be drummed out of the club. You will no longer be allowed to use the same deodorant, brush your teeth in the same manner, or use a modern comb or brush for your hair.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    For each day past your birthday, you are required to add 14.46 feet, or it doesn't count, and you will be drummed out of the club. You will no longer be allowed to use the same deodorant, brush your teeth in the same manner, or use a modern comb or brush for your hair.
    OHFOEREVERMORE. I'll add an extra mile just to be safe. Oh yeah and I was gonna do half of it before my wife gets home from work and then she wants to do the second half with me, does it count if she accompanies me, you know in case I have a heart attack or something like that? TomT74 yeah I'm gonna ride the Tourist just for giggles and grins.
    Last edited by stringbreaker; 06-15-10 at 08:25 PM.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
    OHFOEREVERMORE. Oh yeah and I was gonna do half of it before my wife gets home from work and then she wants to do the second half with me, does it count if she accompanies me, you know in case I have a heart attack or something like that
    We tend to think that not only would it be allowed but would be extra cool, perhaps qualifying for extra credit. Go for it!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    We tend to think that not only would it be allowed but would be extra cool, perhaps qualifying for extra credit. Go for it!
    Thanks for the rules clarification. Oh yeah and there will be pie involved afterwards. I'm thinking Blueberry with some nice REAL vanilla ice cream. I will take pictures to prove my worth.

My Bikes
    2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
    Oh yeah and there will be pie involved afterwards. I will take pictures to prove my worth.
    NOW you've gone and done it. Raised the bar. Half the miles with your spouse and PIE TOO?

Next thing you know, we'll all have to do the whole ride with a SO, eat the pie on the bike while climbing, and repack all the bearings as soon as we get home or the ride WON'T COUNT.

Oh, a pic of you, your spouse, your bike, and the pie (all in the same shot) would be appreciated.

Have a blast!
    Ride Bike.

My Bikes
    Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride your age? One of my sailboating friends ran his age last fall and he is 81! He set a National age group 24 hour record (80-84) with 82 miles.

Recreational Commuter
    My Bikes
    Two brand-less build-ups.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Ride your age? One of my sailboating friends ran his age last fall and he is 81! He set a National age group 24 hour record (80-84) with 82 miles.
    D@mn!
    Riding the Ohio MS Central Ohio Challenge tour, July 12th.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serves him right for living so long.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I figure it, I am the same age from one birthday to the next. EXACTLY THE SAME AGE. So that age applies in riding one's age for the whole year. The figure goes up exactly 1 mile on my next birthday. In riding my age, I don't deal with fractions or decimal points.

My Bikes
    Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much difference between his running speed and his walking speed (never has been). On windy days they must tie him to the sailboat to keep him from getting blown off the boat.
    Running extra long distances is very hard on the body, I don't know how he does it!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you have it sussed.Ride your age- have pie and an attractive ride partner to pace you when it gets difficult.

But what Pie? Remember that Blueberry is only for the experienced.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I can ride my age this year is if I do it in easy installments of ten miles each, over five times. I'm not complaining; it's just the facts I have to deal with right now... I figure it's better to do it that way, then no way at all....
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.