Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mounting a Computer Pickup on Mtn Bike with "shocks"???

OK, my new Specialized Rockhopper has shock absorbers in the front. In trying to transfer my computer from my Hardrock to the Rockhopper, I find that

1. Placing the magnetic pickup on the shock absorber would make it way far away from the magnet on the spoke; and

2. Of course, the diameter of the shock is far larger than the diameter of my front fork on the Hardrock, so even if I could mount it there it would take a very long ziptie to do it.

I suppose I could mount it on the rear wheel - but there must be a more elegant solution.

BTW, I now have the rack, frame pump, kickstand, bell, panniers, wedge mounted safely and securely, and will be doing the bar ends today. The lights are a problem because of the increased diameters of the bars. My light mounts do not have that big of an adjustment and strap length available.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-16-10 at 07:04 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Shouldn't really be a problem. You should be able to rotate the pickup mount so that it is close enough to the wheel.
    2) So get a longer ziptie, or use two strung together. It's good to have an assortment on hand.

I have done this on a number of bikes, shock and non shock, never had a problem getting the pickup on the fork, or close enough to the wheel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It looks as if I will need to have the pickup fairly close to the axle. I will give it a shot. I am used to them being very close together, and mounting nearer the top of the fork.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds dangerously close to "wrenching" to me. Your LBS can take care of all of this for you.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    This sounds dangerously close to "wrenching" to me. Your LBS can take care of all of this for you.
    He can do this himself. If it doesn't work, that's OK, since he doesn't count miles.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has never been a problem on my front suspended MTB's.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You own a mountain bike that doesn't have a suspension fork? Very Retro.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    You own a mountain bike that doesn't have a suspension fork? Very Retro.
    Sure. It's a '92 Trek 970. There are still a few fully rigid MTB's on the market, mostly 29ers like the Salsa El Mariachi. They are still fun to ride within their limitations. You can take them most anywhere, but it is hard to go fast on rough ground.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Err . . did you say Wenching??

I consider most things I can do with a screw driver or an Allen wrench or a zip tie to be within my capabilities as a non- wencher!!