Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking the Bayou I

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Biking the Bayou I

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Biking the Bayou I

I’m in Louisiana for a few days and decided to shoot a few pics on today’s ride.

As the heat indices are substantial lately, I started out this morning and rode over to the Indian Creek Recreation area. The heat index for today was around 103, I believe. I do know that I had no trouble at all keeping warm today. Indian Creek consists of camping and picnic areas, a lake, hiking trails, places to hunt, and a firing range,

People bring campers, motor homes, tents and their boats. There’s plenty of room for fishing , skiing etc. Just beyond the boats are a number of campers.

The roads are in good shape, and the views are very pleasing. In this area, there are lots of tall pines and shade for lounging around on a hot day.

Given the current fire danger, I moderated my normal blinding speed so that the sparks emanating from the cassette and chain would not start a wild fire.

I left Indian Creek and rolled along a local bayou toward LSU at Alexandria.

This is where the road crosses the bayou. It is very quiet and peaceful. There is very little traffic on the road. I discovered that turtles don’t like cyclists. Whenever I rolled up, the turtles vacated the area. There is quite a difference in the streams down here and those in northwest Arkansas. Up there, one can see the rock bottom of the stream and see and hear the movement of the water. Down here the movement of the water is imperceptible to the eyes and ears. Also, one can’t see more than about 6 inches into the water, which adds a little mystery. What critter is lurking just below the surface?

More in a subsequent post.

Last edited by doctor j; 06-16-10 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Nice ride, Doc. I was surprised to hear they have skiing in Louisiana. Whoda thunk?

Oh, and about those turtles...up here in Ohio we have mysterious "darting turtles"; one such beast actually caused a cyclist to crash. It happened to a member of Beverly's club.
Old 06-16-10, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Thanks doc, great pics. Best Smokey the bear I've seen in awhile.
Old 06-16-10, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Oh, and about those turtles...up here in Ohio we have mysterious "darting turtles"; one such beast actually caused a cyclist to crash. It happened to a member of Beverly's club.
That the turtles scramble at the sight of a human may involve preservation. Folks down here have turtle soup, so our shelled friends live a precarious lifestyle in the bayou running from alligators and and cajuns.