Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice please o wise ones.........(long) - desparate!

I'll try to keep this short and sweet but fear it will get long winded...........and I REALLY need advice....

Soon to be 56 here. Diabetes 2 and generally fat BUT - late last summer I bought my first real bike ever.... a Trek 7200. I ride the trails (paved) and neighborhood streets - usually about 20 miles at a time (I averaged 10-12 mph before I through the computer away - I like looking at nature etc. and spent too much time looking at that stupid machine). Honestly I don't care how fast I go or how far I go. I just want to 'go' period.
    Anyway - this past weekend I road my first Tour de Cure and while the route was supposed to be 50 km (30 some miles), a bunch of us got lost and there were some detours so I probably did a bit over 40. Now - OF COURSE my legs ached and my butt hurt but hey I told you I was fat and out of shape right?
    So - the dilemma...........in addition to the diabetes I have seriously bad shoulder issues (arthritis, bone spurs - impingement they call it - and I'm scheduled for a doc appt. in a week cause I literally can't sleep anymore. More bad - although I'm 5' 9" I have about a 27-28 inch inseam - short fat legs, long torso.......yuck........but it is what it is..........
    My bike is 17.5 inches and even though I'm 5' 9 - the 'boys' still hit the bar when I straddle it.......yow........
    Not that there's anthing wrong with it - but I REFUSE to wear lycra etc and I know I can get padded biking shorts that won't make me look like a sausage -but no thank you to either one.....I love to come home - or get up - and jump on my bike and just ride......in fact I'm a serious lurker on a number of "dutch bike" sites.......
    My question is this - do I just live with my bike as is (besides looking for a more comfy saddle - my privates fell asleep deep into the Tour de Cure)...........do I sell my 7200 and get a Navigator/Suede etc. in a 16-ish inch size? Remember - I can't really put pressure on my shoulders, so a flat bar and/or drop bar roadbike are really not options for me..........suggestions for a short-leg long torso fat guy who LOVES to ride? (To be honest with you - with my limited free/pleasure time - I've all but quit fishing, golfing etc. and much prefer to spend my time riding). In a fit of crazyness I suppose - I went to a local LBS and sat on a road bike - the guy told me I should ride a 54cm!!!!!!!! Wha? My current bike is 47.5 cm and like I said - the boys are in danger if I am not careful...........that plus the shoulders equal 'what the heck do I do'? Any thoughts, advice - or should I just shoot myself and buy a Kawasaki?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't normally ever recommend this to anyone but in your case I'll make an exception.
    You might think "recumbent".

Let the more reclined amongst us speak up for I am not a person who recums but you sound like a good candidate.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I wouldn't normally ever recommend this to anyone but in your case I'll make an exception.
    You might think "recumbent".

Let the more reclined amongst us speak up for I am not a person who recums but you sound like a good candidate.
    Yup. I'll go along with that. Just be aware that there are recumbents and there are recumbents. Just because you try one, say a short wheelbase, high bottom bracket style and don't like it doesn't mean you wouldn't like a long wheelbase low bottom bracket design.
    If you consider going that route, shop around and try some different ones.
    I rented one for a trip before I bought, and avoided getting myself saddled with an unsuitable one.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what advice to give, but I think I can help you understand the seemingly discrepant sizing recommendation. Road bikes and mountain bikes have different sizing conventions and hybrids like your 7200 are sized similar to mountain bikes. A 17.5" hybrid and a 54cm road bike would both be considered a men's small.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I neglected to mention - and thank you for the suggestions so far - but a 'bent' is out I believe - I have to transport the bike a distance to get to my 'trails' and I drive a Civic. I actually rode a bent and liked it but the transportation (for me) kills that idea - at least I think it kills that idea. Part of my enjoyment is exploring new trails etc. and unfortunately I have to transport my bike to get to them. Blues Dawg - thank you - that makes sense to me - I'm a newby and the sizing conventions were puzzling - I went to a local REI a bit ago and some bikes "small" felt right - in some "mediums" seemed correct. Ah - I dunno. Keep the ideas coming.........I was kidding about the Kawasaki! Actually - there is wonderful news that I neglected to mention - since riding regularly - my insulin requirment is down 50%, my A1C's/blood pressure/triglicerides etc. are normal - for the first time that I can remember - and the pounds are coming off too - I'm not grossly overweight - about 30 lbs. and cycling has rapidly taken over my life. If anything - a LONG weekend at some local LBS's and go from there. For what it's worth - THANK YOU for your ideas! If there is a good thing about getting old/older - and especially this particular forum - is nobody casts stones at ya....I guess older is wiser. LOL.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think you may be a good candidate for a recumbent.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't give up on the idea on the basis of transportation. I have no difficulty transporting mine.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two comments for you.
    1) Get a bike that's fitted for you.
    2) If you can, don't let an ortho doc touch your shoulder.
    I needed shoulder surgery in 2005 after a car /bike accident. Saw an ortho doc first and his post-surgery plan had me off the bike for 3-4 months and my arm immobilized for 3-4 weeks. He said I would start PT about a month after surgery. A friend had similar surgery and her shoulder is only 70% after 4 years.

I saw a sports med doc and liked his plan -- off the bike for 8 weeks (although I was on the trainer after 2 weeks) and my arm was in a sling for 2 weeks but not immobilized. I was in PT the day after surgery and twice a week for 3-1/2 months. The shoulder is 100%.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in your situation about 3 1/2 years ago. I joined a bicycle club and after a couple rides I realized just how bad I was. A nice sweet little lady was riding up a mountain I would never have considered trying to ride. When I got a chance a couple rides later I asker about getting accustomed to my bike and getting to where I could ride the mountain I saw her ride.

This sweet little lady, in her late fifties, looked at me and said "No pain, No gain." I started to ask her another question and she just turned to walk away and pointed at the back of her shirt which read " SHUT UP AND PEDAL"

Saddle time will solve most of the problems you have. You will know what you want to ride when you get in shape. Until then, it does not make that much difference. Belive me, I have been through it.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 More saddle time. MTB/hybrid sizing is different than a road bike.

Stand over is not that important. I have very short legs, and long torso and arms. So I sacrifice stand over (I have none) to get adequate top tube length.

Need to look for solutions, rather than roadblocks. If a bent is best for you, you then need to look at how you will transport it. In this age of google, you can pretty much assume that someone has that solved for you already.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you would benefit from a custom frame. Steel custom sized frames can be had for reasonable prices.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point I wouldn't mess with a recumbent. You need to have the right personality for a bent, so you have to be the one who wants to ride one, and not have others do the recommending that you ride one. I just think you sound like you'd be a lot happier on a regular bike.

So, that said, I don't understand what you mean when you say "a flat bar and/or drop bar roadbike are really not options for me." I understand that it hurts to put pressure on your shoulders, so you likely can't use drop bars, but if you can't use flat bars, then do you mean you need to use one of those curved bars that come on 3-speeds, which is a form of a flat bar?

From what I can understand of your post, I would recommend just sticking with what you've got. If the bike has fat tires, you can put narrower, lower profile, higher pressure tires on it. This will lower the top tube slightly and make it easier to pedal on the road.

You don't need special clothing or shoes to ride. Generally, if you just ride, everything will sort itself out. The human body has a remarkable ability to adapt to the stresses you place on it, within reason. If you were going to use drop bars, then I would have suggested you try demo riding a Trek WSD (women-specific-sizing) style bike; I believe they're made for women, who generally have longer torsos and shorter legs (although there are also women with shorter torsos and longer legs, but they tend to be fashion models and I guess they aren't enough of a market to design WSD bikes for...) But you mentined that you can't use drop bars, so the relationship between top tube length and seast tube length is immaterial, since you'll be upright on the flat bars, very little load on the shoulders.

No, don't buy anything. Wear what you've got, you are just fine. Just get out and ride and everything will get better. I think you are sressing yourself out over-intellectualizing. Your body will adapt to what you've got; it's already responding to the exercise with the improvements in the blood tests!

L.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly a Bike Friday would suit you, especially given that you transport your bike in a car frequently. They're sized to fit you exactly, and the company is very good at making accommodations for special needs. Don't be put off by the small wheels. I have a bike with 700c wheels and one with 20" wheels, and I actually prefer the small wheels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    At this point I wouldn't mess with a recumbent. You need to have the right personality for a bent, so you have to be the one who wants to ride one.
    L.
    Not to mention the prerequisite grey beard and aero belly.
    Joking aside though, really, what do you mean by that comment? Personality has nothing to do with it other than you have to be able to deal with the attention you draw riding one.
    I'm the same guy when I'm on my recumbent as I am on my uprights.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Joking aside though, really, what do you mean by that comment? Personality has nothing to do with it other than you have to be able to deal with the attention you draw riding one.
    Let it go - whether or not it was meant as a dig it isn't worth arguing over (I don't know - I don't care). IMHO I would shake my head and not waist the energy required to type a response. All that seems to do is up the antagonism quotient folks have been complaining about lately.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please no bickering - lol - if a person wears lycra or not, rides a bent, road bike etc. who cares? For me - I think a bent would be ideal physically and certainly I could work out/through the transportation issues, but while a bent would be great for the trails etc. I think an upright is more 'better'. I appreciate everyone's comments here - I'm going to visit some LBS's and try out a bunch - in the end what I already have - with some modifications perhaps - longer stem to raise the bars higher etc. may be the ultimate answer.
    God bless.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ride what you have for now. You may investigate the possibility of raising the bars a bit, but in the end, riding as much as possible would be your best help. As you loose weight and become bike fit you will discover that what fits you now probably won't later. Save your money and keep riding. Don't go nuts and ride so far that you hurt yourself because in the long run that will result in less riding.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rest my case.

L.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many handlebar options that will work on your bike and with your controls. There was a long thread on here a couple of years ago discussing them.

Here it is...
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...&highlight=bar
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-17-10 at 07:30 AM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    Please no bickering - lol - if a person wears lycra or not, rides a bent, road bike etc. who cares? For me - I think a bent would be ideal physically and certainly I could work out/through the transportation issues, but while a bent would be great for the trails etc. I think an upright is more 'better'. I appreciate everyone's comments here - I'm going to visit some LBS's and try out a bunch - in the end what I already have - with some modifications perhaps - longer stem to raise the bars higher etc. may be the ultimate answer.
    God bless.
    I wasn't trying to be argumentative, nor am I proselytizing for recumbents. Just trying to open up the possibilities to you.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sun EZ-1 recumbent. Several models to choose from.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wandering into a thread with a someowhat OT comment, but....

This weekend I encountered one of the most feared and dreaded creatures that a DF cyclist such as myself can meet: a buff, beardless bent rider. This guy was smokin'. I could not keep up with him, and you can't draft him because they leave such a tiny wake behind them. It's mechanical doping, I tell you, no more fair than a Gruber Assist.

It was pretty cool. If I could afford one I'd get a bent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

This weekend I encountered one of the most feared and dreaded creatures that a DF cyclist such as myself can meet: a buff, beardless bent rider. This guy was smokin'. I could not keep up with him, and you can't draft him because they leave such a tiny wake behind them. It's mechanical doping, I tell you, no more fair than a Gruber Assist.

That's why the UCI won't allow them.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weekend I encountered one of the most feared and dreaded creatures that a DF cyclist such as myself can meet: a buff, beardless bent rider.
    That would be a bent rider in training.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure it wasn't a girl? Passing so fast you might have missed the clues. A bearless bent rider? Does that really happen?
    Cue Janmm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast