Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Newbie Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Learning

Some real milestones in my learning to ride a road bike rather than kicking around the neighborhood on my Huffy. This is my third summer riding and even then I'm not a high mileage rider having only ridden 500 miles since the first of May. But in the past week I've finally learned to drink while riding. Also, gained confidence to be able to get some things out of my jersey pockets. But I still can't blow my nose or change clothing while riding.

So, I'm learning and getting more competent. But there is a long way to go. Thankfully, I have only one competitor; Me.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    But I still can't blow my nose
    That's what the fuzzy part of the back of your gloves are for...my wife loves running across those on the kitchen table.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But in the past week I've finally learned to drink while riding.
    I learned that right off the bat, now you need to learn not to weave after you have two or three.

As far as nose blowing - learn the art of the snot rocket, other bikers will keep their distance and you will breath easy.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my third summer riding and even then I'm not a high mileage rider having only ridden 500 miles since the first of May.
    How far do you think you'd have to ride to qualify as a "high mileage rider"?

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of issues changing my clothing after a few drinks, I couldn't imagine doing it while riding a bike.

Seriously, the drinking part gets easier, just keep looking up the road and let your hands find the bottle. Changing bottles after the first is empty is made easier when you hold the empty bottle in you teeth, put the full bottle in the front cage, then replace the empty into the back cage.

For the pockets, I have a system where I always put items in the same pocket. My gel flask is always upside down in the right side pocket (be sure to close it after use). Extra fluid bottle will be in the center pocket for weight distribution and food bars, keys and cell phone are in the left pocket. If I have a jacket to take off that will go in the center, if available or even rolled up under my shirt in the front until a stop is made.

Changing clothing while riding is beyond my skill level. One of my fears while racing is that I'll open my shirt and the full length zipper comes unattached.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two words. "snot rockets"
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can drink while riding but sometimes have to look down to make sure I'm putting the bottle back into the cage and not dropping it on the ground.
    All I keep in my back pockets is Hammer Gel or GU. I've tried tearing open a gel packet while riding but always have to stop to gulp the gel.
    I'll get it right some day.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I have a lot of issues changing my clothing after a few drinks, I couldn't imagine doing it while riding a bike.

Seriously, the drinking part gets easier, just keep looking up the road and let your hands find the bottle. Changing bottles after the first is empty is made easier when you hold the empty bottle in you teeth, put the full bottle in the front cage, then replace the empty into the back cage.

For the pockets, I have a system where I always put items in the same pocket. My gel flask is always upside down in the right side pocket (be sure to close it after use). Extra fluid bottle will be in the center pocket for weight distribution and food bars, keys and cell phone are in the left pocket. If I have a jacket to take off that will go in the center, if available or even rolled up under my shirt in the front until a stop is made.

Changing clothing while riding is beyond my skill level.
    One of my fears while racing is that I'll open my shirt and the full length zipper comes unattached.
    That is a big problem. You have to have your jersey zipped when you cross the finish line with your arms in the air to show the sponsor's name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Several of the people I know do 25-30 miles per day during the summer riding season. Others are commuters who ride year round and will do 12,000 miles or more over the year. So, I guess I'd say doing 2000 miles or so during the riding season since I'm not a commuter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

Two words. "snot rockets"
    Sounds gross. Dare I ask what it is?

(I'm used to wiping on gloves, you don't spend much time outdoors in the winter without doing that, but a "snot rocket?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds gross. Dare I ask what it is?

(I'm used to wiping on gloves, you don't spend much time outdoors in the winter without doing that, but a "snot rocket?)
    Think block one nostril and blow your nose without a kleenex. Aim is important.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hankerchief or tissue tucked into the sleeve of the jersey- but they go soggy on a wet ride- then it is gloves.

And 2,000 quality miles after only 3 years????? Not bad. Only thing is- do not try to do the monthly average in one day.
    Last edited by stapfam; 06-18-10 at 12:28 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snot rocket perfected - I used to blow them over my shoulder. Then I saw a Tour de France rider blow his under his armpit. Eureka! Why didn't I think of that? If you blow a snot rocket first, there's much less to wipe on your glove. Sure it's gross, but you have to do what you have to do.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Springtime allergies with a continually running nose is a lot more fun than snot rockets.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluesdawg

I am in Milledgeville also, riding when I can which is not often enough. Give me a holler if you can, you could probably show me where to ride as I have been at it for just about 1 yr now.
    Greg gkk2001@windstream.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Hankerchief or tissue tucked into the sleeve of the jersey- but they go soggy on a wet ride- then it is gloves.

And 2,000 quality miles after only 3 years????? Not bad. Only thing is- do not try to do the monthly average in one day.

The question was what I considered a high mileage rider, not how many miles I expect to ride. At this pace and with the trips on the calendar I will probably be in the 1000 mile range before snow shuts me down and then a few more miles when I ride with Denver at Thanksgiving time.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I think he's trying to make me feel bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    Snot rocket perfected - I used to blow them over my shoulder. Then I saw a Tour de France rider blow his under his armpit. Eureka! Why didn't I think of that? If you blow a snot rocket first, there's much less to wipe on your glove. Sure it's gross, but you have to do what you have to do.
    I still prefer to turn the head and blow. When the weather turns just a little bit cold I am a snot rocket maniac. I am nice about it though. When in a pace line I signal I am moving to the side and get as far away from the line as I can, do my business and then jump back in. Of course I always offer to lube the other rider's cassettes
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Springtime allergies with a continually running nose is a lot more fun than snot rockets.
    Nowhere near as elegant, my man...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.