Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle "break-in" - fact or fiction

I'm sure this question has been addressed in other forums, but I'd like to get some opinions from the mature folks (like me). I can see how break-in applies to real leather saddles (like the Brooks models), but can you really "break-in" a board-flat, foam-padded saddle? Aren't you just breaking in your derriere?

Opinions?
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddle won't vary much unless you are heavy and it has a few years riding on it. But the Butt will adapt to a saddle that fits. However if it is the wrong saddle- you will have butt ache for a long time.

Saying that- I have had saddles that are fine to start off with but 6 months later have gone "Off". This has happened on a couple of Fizic saddles but has not so far occurred with my San Marco "Aero" or the Flite "Gel Max" after 3 years.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly fiction. It's your undercarriage that needs to go through adaptation. If one's saddle doesn't match their sit bones, it's never going to be comfortable. Most people can get comfortable on most saddles; it takes time..... saddle time.
    Guy K. Browne

Schwalbe North America
    USA | CANADA | Central/South America
    1-888-700-5860 | 250-598-0397 ext.105
    www.schwalbetires.com

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    Mostly fiction. It's your undercarriage that needs to go through adaptation. If one's saddle doesn't match their sit bones, it's never going to be comfortable. Most people can get comfortable on most saddles; it takes time..... saddle time.
    Guy,
    I see from the link in your sig line you sell bike tires. I therefore assume you must have some references about saddle fit & wear for the information you have provided, maybe some industry study that tested a lot of people - could you please provide these so that the rest of us uninformed can learn more?
    Thanks
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Guy,
    I see from the link in your sig line you sell bike tires. I therefore assume you must have some references about saddle fit & wear for the information you have provided, maybe some industry study that tested a lot of people - could you please provide these so that the rest of us uninformed can learn more?
    Thanks
    I'm betting that he's just providing his opinion. Like the rest of us.

My opinion : No break-in for modern saddles.

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No studies or "official" references. Having been an active and avid rider, racer, commuter, I do have a bit of experience in this area. Most of the people I know who have saddle issues are casual riders, and never spend the time (ride the miles) to acclimate their points of contact with their saddle. They ride once or twice, their undercarriage gets sore, and they proclaim: "My saddle is uncomfortable".

Some people actually have wider or narrower than "normal" sit bones. A good bike fit person can make this determination, and then recommend an appropriate saddle.... of course they have to get kind of up close and personal with your nether regions to do the measuring.

If one doesn't want to take my word for it, perhaps Sheldon Brown's wisdom would be more acceptable.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Sheldon does state that a good tensioned leather saddle (Brooks) will "break-in" over time, but again, someone actually has to put in enough time in the saddle to make this happen. I have ridden many kinds of saddles over the past 20+ years, and the only time I have ever had a problem was doing too many miles on early season rides. Now that I ride year round, I can jump from saddle to saddle and not have any issues.
    Last edited by Kojak; 06-18-10 at 03:47 PM.
    Guy K. Browne

Schwalbe North America
    USA | CANADA | Central/South America
    1-888-700-5860 | 250-598-0397 ext.105
    www.schwalbetires.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a Brooks Swift on one of my two bikes for several years.
    It got about 50% of my 5,000 miles/year.
    The break-in period definitely exists.
    My butt broke in nicely.
    After several years I finally had to admit the Brooks still wasn't as comfortable on the really long rides as my trusty old 1990's Selle Italia Flite.
    I went on to eBay and picked up another Flite, then eBay'd the Brooks.

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've never had a Brooks. All of my saddles have had a shell underneath them. Some of the padding under skin and over the shell degraded. That is not the same as breaking in. Some shorts or bibs had "chamois" that degraded.

It was always my ass that broke in or HTFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    No studies or "official" references. Having been an active and avid rider, racer, commuter, I do have a bit of experience in this area. Most of the people I know who have saddle issues are casual riders, and never spend the time (ride the miles) to acclimate their points of contact with their saddle. They ride once or twice, their undercarriage gets sore, and they proclaim: "My saddle is uncomfortable".

Some people actually have wider or narrower than "normal" sit bones. A good bike fit person can make this determination, and then recommend an appropriate saddle.... of course they have to get kind of up close and personal with your nether regions to do the measuring.

If one doesn't want to take my word for it, perhaps Sheldon Brown's wisdom would be more acceptable.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Sheldon does state that a good tensioned leather saddle (Brooks) will "break-in" over time, but again, someone actually has to put in enough time in the saddle to make this happen. I have ridden many kinds of saddles over the past 20+ years, and the only time I have ever had a problem was doing too many miles on early season rides. Now that I ride year round, I can jump from saddle to saddle and not have any issues.
    Guy,
    Thank you for the pointer to Sheldon Brown - GRHS, I missed that and it was interesting - Sheldon's work is always a good reference.
    My experience from reading peoples experiences as posted on this site are a little different than what you stated, as you stated, if the sit bones don't fit the saddle the saddle will never fit the sit bones and be comfortable - on that the data seems to agree. However on the second point, most people can be comfortable on most saddles does not agree, many people here seem to need the right saddle.
    Also - one thing you may not be aware of, Specialized has what has been called the ass-o-meter which measures sit bones so they can be matched to the right width saddle.
    As for me, as you suggest I seem to be pretty tolerant of saddles, but what I found recently though with a bike I could never get comfortable, my tail would hurt after 4 hours riding using 4 different saddles (including one that worked well on another one of my bikes) - I found it a 20mm shorter stem solved the problem.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All-leather saddles such as a Brooks will break-in just like a good pair of leather boots. My Brooks Pro that I had on my old Raleigh Professional Mk IV was hard as a board when new but broke-in after a few hundred miles (and a road race in a thunderstorm). That's not to say that your ass doesn't "adapt" as well. Just make sure your bike is sized and set-up properly or no saddle will be comfortable.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Specialized has what has been called the ass-o-meter which measures sit bones"

You've got to take the ass-o-meter with a grain of salt. I measured at a recommended 155mm. The saddle that I've had the most comfort with is 130 mm.
    Go figure!
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Specialized has what has been called the ass-o-meter which measures sit bones"
    How is ass-o-meter pronounced? Is it "ass-oh-meeter" or ass-omm-etter? Just curious.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO: Leather saddle= fact. Others= not-so-much.

Speaking for myself, it is only on longish rides that one learns the true nature of the "rumpus-to-saddle" relationship. I do agree with Kojack that beginning riders may sort of overreact to early saddle discomfort that doesn't really mean much.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a saddle doesn't fit you from the git-go, it never will. Leather, plastic, carbon, whatever. A leather saddle's fit may improve with age, but if it's not good to start out, try something else. Over the (35) years, I've found exactly 3 saddles that fit me well: Brooks B17, Unicanitor 55 (the plain nylon unpadded one), and one particular Brooks Pro. I've got 2 (old but sound) B17s and 3 Unicanitors on bikes or stashed away. That should be enough to get me thru the next couple decades.

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    IMO: Leather saddle= fact. Others= not-so-much.
    And I would add that much of what is said about leather saddle break-in is fiction, or at least gross exaggeration.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Speaking for myself, it is only on longish rides that one learns the true nature of the "rumpus-to-saddle" relationship. I do agree with Kojack that beginning riders may sort of overreact to early saddle discomfort that doesn't really mean much.
    For me it takes at least 40 miles to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    And I would add that much of what is said about leather saddle break-in is fiction, or at least gross exaggeration.
    My experience agrees - My Sella Anatomica although fairly comfortable, never really changed much over the year I have been riding it.