Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Bike Specs and Ride Characteristics

Just got the recommended specifications for the Crown Jewel Ti Indy Fab is building for me. So, here's the quiz; given the following measurements, what kind of ride should I expect?

Seat tube length - 54cm
    top tube length - 55cm
    head tube length - 155mm
    head tube angle - 72.5 degrees
    seat tube angle - 73.5 degrees
    wheelbase - 988.5 mm
    standover - 802.5mm
    chain stay length - 410mm
    fork offset -45mm
    trail -59.1mm
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like pretty standard road geometry with perhaps a bit longer front center. Ride quality will depend on what tubes IF uses in the frame. You need to communicate what type of ride quality you are looking to get to IF. They can make your frame ride harsh or like a noodle. The selection of chainstay diameter will impact rear triangle stiffness and climbing. It would appear you have chosen a traditional non sloping tt. That will also ride somewhat different than a sloping tt. There are still details to be worked out so talk to IF!

What is the BB drop on this frame?

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    What is the BB drop on this frame?
    I was wondering that too.

The tubing choice (diameter, wall thickness, tapering, butting) will be what determines the ride, where the geometry will determine the handling.

Indy Fab generally does a good job of turning customer desires into rolling metal. So what did you tell them you want it to ride like?

Hey, wait a minute. Didn't weddings eat up the bike budget?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As TSL said- Frame build and materials will affect handling and very few of us will have experience of that. Frame fit will affect you and I take it you have got that correct.

But what will affect the ride are the components. Mainly the wheels but Seat post- and bars will affect the ride if not the handling.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    But what will affect the ride are the components. Mainly the wheels but Seat post- and bars will affect the ride if not the handling.
    In my experience, tire size makes a bigger difference than the seatpost and handlebars.

The bike above would ride very different on 32c tires vs. 23c tires, in my opinion.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So responses on BB drop without any info as to why the question, Here is a pretty good write up on what it means and why http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/20...et-height.html

According to this article, unless you are going for something different than a "road bike" you will probably get a standard BB drop which is most like just where you want to be.

BTW - look at the pictures in the article of the crazy brits cornering on tri's

This ex-frame builder's blog seems to have good information about a lot of items. I am not a frame builder (yet) and have not studied the sensitivities of each of the various design options. If you are really interested in what all these measurements mean there are a lot of sources on line but I also bet IF would be more than happy to discuss the design choices and why and if they are worth their salt they would actually appreciate the interest you take. Very few if any folks here have actually gone through the process of auto-cad to torching up a frame.

I fun process - especially if you are a techie or a gear head.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple solution: Just have the frame shipped here and I will test it in my lab for you!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best compromise on BB drop for a road bike is 7cm. I have had bikes with different BB drops and the frames that have 7cm seem to handle very well. That is in a size 58-60cm frame.