Spent the day today tearing down Blue Steel and building up the Litespeed with Blue's components.
I had very mixed feelings all day. First I was taking apart a bike I've come to love in just three short months. But I was building up a bike that holds much anticipation.
Blue seemed okay with it. It's getting a new headset while its disassembled. It seemed crunchy and notchy after I took off the wheel and bars.
The only hitch in the whole affair is that apparently, 11 years ago it was put together dry. Parts that had been changed over the years were fine, but not the crank. It's an Ultegra 6500 (9-speed) crankset with the Octalink bottom-bracket and self-extracting crank arm bolts. Pulling the cranks was a challenge.
I eventually got the drive side off, but I had to take it to the LBS across the street to have the left (non-drive) side taken off. The self-extractor thingie, bulged, buckled and broke. Once it was out, they were able to remove the bolt, and thread-in a traditional crank puller, which worked Jim-dandy.
Fortunately, we were able to also thread-in a new self-extractor bolt, although it's anyone's guess as to whether or not there's enough thread left in the crank for it to work. So I also ordered a new crankarm.
Everything went together on the Litespeed just fine. I used plenty of titanium-compatible anti-seize, even though if things go according to plan, I'll be moving all the parts back towards the end of July. I got anti-seize everywhere, including my hair.
For those just tuning in, the idea here that I'm trying out different frames--one steel, one Ti. They're nearly identical in geometry and design intent. Swapping parts reduces the variables between them and makes it easier for me to discern the differences between the two frames. At least, that's the plan.
As they say in forum-land, pics or it didn't happen!
First, all the parts on Blue Steel:
The only changes since then are a longer, lower stem, new bottle cages and I took off the rear fender quick release.
Here's everything on the as yet still unnamed Litespeed:
The Litespeed has its own BB, FD (braze-on as opposed to Blue's clamp-on) and uses the second-bike kit for the cyclometer. Everything else came over from Blue today. As time goes by and budget permits, the Litespeed will get its own wheels and components, so that Blue can stay in one piece.
Anyway, I put 1¼ miles on it in the parking lot this afternoon, working out the kinks. It's had a bath to remove all the anti-seize I got everywhere. I'm having dinner now and after that, we'll go for a nice, getting-to-know-you ride.
Tomorrow's my birthday, so it will also see duty on the birthday ride.