User Tag List

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 And is there a 12 step program?

Today I turn 53, and decided to buy another bike. I've been thinking about it for a while and really wanted to go Ti, but the funds just aren't there right now. I have my Madone that is my daily rider and serves me very well, but it's the only road bike I have and if it had a problem (cracked frame, drop out etc.) and had to go in for repair I would be not happy. So I feel the need for a standard metal frame. I've been looking at Craigslist and nothing in my area really, and I tossed around the idea of buying a frame and building it myself...and I will do that some time in the future, probably with a Ti bike, but I came to the Bikesdirect site and found a decent aluminum frame bike for $600 shipped.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...d_record_x.htm

It has cheap components, but I have a set of Ultegra derailers and crank set sitting on the shelf and some 105 shifters too so I can build it up a little from there. Besides, I could part it out and almost make back the $600. It should make a nice weather bike as well...I'll report back on Friday when it arrives but right now I'm off to do my 53 mile ride for the big day.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, especially if you're trading out components.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    It has cheap components, but I have a set of Ultegra derailers and crank set sitting on the shelf and some 105 shifters too so I can build it up a little from there.
    Yup, you have the disease. There's no known cure so you might as well just go with it. Another thing, take it from me, there's no point in Craigslisting the parts you take off of the new bike because you'll need them for the next build.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 53rd today too. Happy Birthday!

I've always felt one should own one bike in each of the primary colors. You can check yellow off the list. (Yellow is the fastest color too, BTW.)

Just yesterday I built-up my first Ti bike, a 1996 Litespeed Classic I bought as a frameset-only from a another member of my club. He's had to switch to recumbents. I never thought I'd run into anything like this. I just waited and when the time was right it came along. Yours will come too.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow-- twins... were you guys eparated at birth--and now have found each other after all these years??? Happy birthday to both Metric Man and tsl! And may you both enjoy your built-up bikes-

train safe

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger I always enjoyed wenching on my birthday - oh you're wrenching, sorry
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    My 53 I never thought I'd run into anything like this. I just waited and when the time was right it came along. Yours will come too.
    Very Zen. So how long is the wait usually?

My Bikes
    2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it IS Zen. Que sera, sera.
    Ride Bike.

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrider View Post
    Very Zen. So how long is the wait usually?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomT74 View Post
    Well, it IS Zen. Que sera, sera.
    Each of the four bikes I own now seems to have found me.

Yellow Bike was there on Craigslist one January afternoon when I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a road bike. But it had to be contemporary, yet cheap and a fixer-upper. It was all three. I bought it that night and dragged it home through a snowstorm. That bike still gets ridden weekly.

The Portland actually sat on the LBS's shelf for two years waiting for me to develop as a cyclist. I'd even seen it there and it hadn't registered. One day I went in to explain I was sorry but I was buying a new bike somewhere else, they looked at my list of features I wanted, and pulled it off the shelf. In the first mile of the test ride I knew it was my bike. It remains my favorite bike.

I usually walk right by the traded-in bikes at the LBS across the street from where I live now. And I did just that on day I went in asking about steel frames to build up. The owner turned me right around told me to "look at that blue Schwinn over there". A whole bike for less than I planned to spend on either a frame or components. And it was no gaspipe Schwinn either, but top-drawer Reynolds 853 tubing. I love that bike.

The Litespeed belonged to a guy in my club who bought it new in 1996. He's had to switch to recumbents. He sold off his entire stable of DF bikes, except this one, which he stripped and parted-out the components. He couldn't part with the frame though. His wife comes into the library where I worked, and one day conversation turned in that direction and I told here I'd like to try a Ti bike, but couldn't afford new, especially if it turned out it wasn't for me. She told me about Tim's bike. The next month, it was in the club newsletters' classifieds. Took me three months to decide, and they waited another three months for my budget to come around so I could buy it. That's the bike I built-up yesterday. Still don't know it well yet.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

When I was younger I always enjoyed wenching on my birthday - oh you're wrenching, sorry
    Beats wretching!

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    My 53rd today too. Happy Birthday!

I've always felt one should own one bike in each of the primary colors. You can check yellow off the list. (Yellow is the fastest color too, BTW.)

Just yesterday I built-up my first Ti bike, a 1996 Litespeed Classic I bought as a frameset-only from a another member of my club. He's had to switch to recumbents. I never thought I'd run into anything like this. I just waited and when the time was right it came along. Yours will come too.
    Happy B-Day to you as well tsl...I almost dropped for the Motobecane Ti frame @ $999 but it would leave me short a few components so I went this route...but I'll keep looking and I'm sure I'll have a Ti in the stable at some point.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

There are those among us who seem to prefer to pay others to do their wenching!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to have a stable including every frame material. So far I have a steel frame (LHT) and an aluminum with the obligatory carbon fork (Allez.) I'd like an all carbon fiber bike, a titanium bike, and I'd really like to try a bamboo bike.

Unfortunately, they want money for them.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BD sure has some interesting options out there. Several steel frame bikes, the tourer @ $699 is a great deal with Deore XT rear derailleur & Sugino crankset, easy touring gearing with 48-38-28 & 11-34. a full carbon @ $999 with a Tiagra/105 set, and a Ti with Ultegra at $1699.

There have been times in the past when their deals weren't that much better than what I've seen at bike shops. But they sure seem to have some price advantages at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N + 1. The CDC and medical science has been looking for a cure for years along with cramps which are still a mystery to all.