Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's how bicycling works: an all-purpose primer

You figure out how much weight you want to save off your current rig.

You go to the ATM, you withdraw that same amount of weight in $20 bills (i.e., saving 100 grams of weight off your bike requires you to withdraw 100 grams of currency).

You then hand that stack of money to your local bike shop.

Your bike then gets lighter.

Any questions?

(btw, I did not invent this formula, I just finally figured out that it is true. slow learner)
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-19-10 at 11:31 AM.

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that work on Utility/City bikes as well? Because I could pack an extra 100 grams of stuff in my panniers then, but sadly I wouldn't have the cash to buy that extra 100 grams of stuff. Dang why does bicycling have to be soooooo complicated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't think a linear formula matches with my experiences. From the regression analysis I have done the correct formula is:
    $$ = PI^(weight loss desired in grams/5) - no 50+ formula would be correct without getting PI in there somewhere.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That works down to a certain level. On the MTB's it was about 21lbs on a rigid hardtail. Below that you multiply the $'s x 10 to get the same weight saving.

What it is on a road bike I would not like to even think about.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I really don't think a linear formula matches with my experiences. From the regression analysis I have done the correct formula is:
    $$ = PI^(weight loss desired in grams/5) - no 50+ formula would be correct without getting PI in there somewhere.
    Well ya... you gotta get pie, I mean PI in there somewhere... I'm new here and I've even figured that much out even being special and all... Or, at leas that's what they always called me in school. They would say "you're special Ed" . This always confounded me, because my name is not Ed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    That works down to a certain level. On the MTB's it was about 21lbs on a rigid hardtail. Below that you multiply the $'s x 10 to get the same weight saving.

What it is on a road bike I would not like to even think about.
    I think that you're right. On a road bike it's pretty simple to go from 30 lbs to 25 lbs. Going from 25 lbs to 20 is a little harder but still do-able if you're willing to spend the money. If you want to go from 20 lbs to 15 lbs you might be talking about enough money to make a Washington bureaucrat wince.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I think that you're right. On a road bike it's pretty simple to go from 30 lbs to 25 lbs. Going from 25 lbs to 20 is a little harder but still do-able if you're willing to spend the money. If you want to go from 20 lbs to 15 lbs you might be talking about enough money to make a Washington bureaucrat wince.
    Hmmm, I thought huge sums of money just made them salivate. Could be wrong. I know very few Washington bureaucrats.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you get for that stack of $20s? Got pics?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    What did you get for that stack of $20s? Got pics?
    Nothing pic-worthy. Just shopping & calculating the potential damage.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah. You figure out how much weight you want to save, then loose it off your gut/ass. Much cheaper (and healthier) than spending a butt-load to lighten your bike.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Any questions?
    Doesn't the complete formula include an exponential function units dollars as weight limit zero is approached?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't care that much how my bike weighs.

Do I win?
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Doesn't the complete formula include an exponential function units dollars as weight limit zero is approached?
    Much like the speed of light, zero bicycle weight can never be reached, because the weight of the money necessary increases exponentially to infinity as you get closer to zero bike weight. I think that was in a lesser known paper Einstein wrote about time this picture was taken.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicycle View Post
    Much like the speed of light, zero bicycle weight can never be reached, because the weight of the money necessary increases exponentially to infinity as you get closer to zero bike weight.
    Einstein was not a believer in quantum theory which for the most part has replaced most of general relativity. I suspect that near zero bike mass is much like the illusive graviton - as much energy and effort as we seem to pour into finding it, it continues to evade us.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could construct a bicycle out of exotic "negative matter" (not to be confused with anti-matter), which would (hypothetically) result in a self-accelerating bike that would most likely be promptly banned by the UCI.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/