User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The (very slow) climb to nowhere: a documentary.

One of the problems with PEDs is that the sudden increase of average speed, from a recreational 13 MPH to a Hermetical 19.5 MPH risks drawing the attention of WADA. Struggling to keep my speed low today, I stopped frequently and snapped lots of pictures for your viewing pleasure.

First stop, about 7 miles from my house, is Floyds Fork, a bit swollen and muddy from the T-storm last night. The city is planning on incorporating this into a greenway/MUP that encircles Louisville. It's a great idea if they can get it funded.

I move on to Fisherville, which has one post office and a baptist church. Rumors are they store weapons at the church but no one has ever shot at me so I don't worry about it.

This is the beginning of the Slow Climb to Nowhere (tm). Heading east on Rt. 148, it averages maybe 2% or so but goes on for several miles. I always get dropped here on group rides.

The great thing about the slow climb is when you get to the top of it, there's nothing. No shade, no houses, just a spectacular vista of a field. They usually grow corn here, but this year something else is going up. Maybe Wednesday weed? I'm from the city. All the plants look the same to me.

The reward is that there is about 6-7 miles of road that no one travels on. I saw one cyclist and two cars on this road today. The locals say the corn should be knee high by the fourth of July. It's already taller than I am, thanks to lots of sunshine and nocturnal rain.

There are banks of these orange flower thingees all over and they've been in bloom for at least two months. Anyone know what they are?

There are scores of farms on the ride, and lots of stables. Here is the alpaca farm, and even the pinhead alpacas have better sense than to get out in the sunny 90 degree weather, something that could not be said of the cyclist. Just up the road was a farm for Icelandic horses. They always give me the stink-eye. I'm not sure why.

At mile 30 I stopped at Hatmakers for a Coke and some snacks. It sounds nasty but they are high in protein.

This is the Pope Lick trestle. Legend has it that Goatman lives here. I've never seen him but if he exists I'm confident he would ride a 'bent.

My last stop was at the Starbucks for another Java chip frappachino. It's cool that I can cycle from the boonies to civilization in just an hour.

I guess that's it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a pleasant area to ride. I think they are Daylilies but I am a Horribleculturist.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed there were no Red Wigglers on the menu. Can this photo really be from the South? No Red Wigglers? So, which ones did you have, or do they have a sampler plate?

Looks like a nice peaceful ride. I rode one of those today. Needed it. I had the camera with me and should have taken pics but was too lazy.

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for daylilies.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting -- I love ride reports w/pics.

I was cycling in 55 degrees and rain again today. Hard to imagine 90 degrees right now.

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures from your ride. I love ride pictures. They are day lilies and nice ones at that.
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5
    2007 Lemond Versailles
    2006 Lemond Croix de fer
    1995 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiger lilies. Great pics. Perfect way to spend a few minutes on the computer. Thanks
    Ride Bike.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, that's what it's all about. I tried to take an easy ride today, but I ended up hammering. It's really nice enjoying the country side. We have a lot of horse ranches over here and I bend my neck at some of the beautiful ranches and horses. Thanks for the trip.

I forgot, I thought you bought a new bike.
    George

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Allez Double
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff. Especially your yummy snacks.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics and report. BTW, worms are not performance enhancing. You can stop buying them.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here I thought that in the deep south you couldn't throw a dead possum with out hitting a 7-eleven or a piggly wiggly
    Last edited by cyclinfool; 06-19-10 at 09:25 PM.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, and a nice looking route to ride. Personally, my PEDs of choice is couple of cups of boiler room coffee in the morning with a side order of impatient morning motorists to my get my average speed up.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics...I'm too fast to stop for pics.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Weak,

Nice pictures but a far better commentary. I provides a mixture of humor and self deprecation. Is there really a rumor that people store weapons at the church? That seems a bit incongruous but what do I know? I suppose it is true because that one would be a hard one to make up.

By the way, the "orange flower thingies" are daylilies, hemerocraris. I know that because we had some when I was a kid and I recall them being called "daylilies". But hey, orange flower thingies sounds better than daylilies anyway.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics.
    Those "snacks" seem kinds high. I bet a Milky Way or Moon Pie would have been less than $1.50.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Somebody has to say it. Might as well be me.

Flip it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures were from my IPhone, as I don't own a light point and shoot. The quality could be better.

Northern Kentucky is not the deep south. This area remained fairly loyal to the Union during the Civil War.

I know a few members of the church there. They're all in their 80s. The weapons cache theory is pure snark. It was a concession, as I had fit a lot more snark into the narrative but auto-censored it.

They did have a sampler plate for the worms.

I bought a new bike but it was for my son. My Buenos Aires is doing well.

The riser stem is a real neck saver. I can still get aero on it when I want to, but my back is tight and it hurts, so what's the point

Banned.
    My Bikes
    2001 Cannondale R2000 with over 70,000 miles on it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a pleasent place ease the mind and ride. What was the temperature in old Kentucky?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    The weapons cache theory is pure snark. It was a concession, as I had fit a lot more snark into the narrative but auto-censored it.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday it topped out at abut 90.

FWIW, when I stopped at the Starbucks the jungens there asked how far I had gone. When I said 40 miles, they stared and one asked, "And you did it just for FUN?".

I suspect he was distinguishing a 'for fun' ride from a charity ride, which are very common in the area.

I was tempted to go into my religious beliefs that suffering in this life will shorten your stay in Purgatory in the Next One, but as I was pretty beat my response was "Yep."

Well, not a deep answer but under the circumstances it was the best I could do.

My wife says the flowers are day lilies.
    Last edited by The Weak Link; 06-20-10 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I give: What are/is "PEDS"?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely daylilies.... no doubt. End of discussion.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubiax Elite, Trek FX7300 hybrid, Trek 6500 mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride report and pics. Thanks

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Performance Enhancing Drugs

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Yep...he's a doper.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast