Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First Time Trial, whew that was fun.

HI,
    Been thinking about trying one so I finally did, it was very warm this morning in VA.
    I have never been on TT ramp so that was very weird, some nice guy made sure I didn't fall while I was already clipped in. The wind was in my face on the way out, I kept saying to myself mash hard it will be down wind on the way back. I noticed fluid was pouring out of my skin and My legs were burning.
    Let me say the State Police had cars with lights on and were at every turn stopped traffic and pointed in the right direction as each rider approached , thanked everyone of them as I had never rode this course. It was a very rural area single lane occasional car.
    Well the way back was not down wind it seemed we had a strong side wind .:not amused:
    I made it Back, with my road bike, and road bike helmet. Haven't seen my time yet, I had to leave and they were just starting the 20 y/o. must been a bunch they were still warming up on their stands as I drove off. I didn't want to leave but I needed more fluids and my ice chest was low ( bring twice as much fluids as you think you will drink )
    I must say I really did feel the burn after the ride, and my left leg had a cramped Glutis muscle that made it hard to get in the car. I walked like a cowboy for the first hour till my muscles loosened up,,,
    I have never ridden 23 miles so hard and fast in my life, note to self: I will do more sprints and such to build those muscles you use when you ride hard the entire ride TT's are harder than they look on TV.. hehe
    Neat experience give or take a little pain on the ride...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son-in-Law works with a TT rider- pretty good one in the area and we do adjust our ride routes out to support him. But Time Trials are the only form of racing allowed on the roads over here. They are not "Group" competitive and any-one can ride on the roads. The fact that they are marshalled and the bikes are going fast still does not make it a race.

But come to your senses quick. TT's are hard and although you may have only ridden for 45 minutes or so- The training for them will take over your life.

So what TT bike are you going to get and What wheels are you going to put on it?

Well done on achieving something that I will never do- but think hard about the next stage of your racing- It might eat into the Pie budget
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting, BT! I hope to start doing some TT's next year, if things work out. Keep us updated on any future efforts.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of your joyful willingness to suffer we will allow you to post your average speed and won't in anyway question it.

Heck, in honor of the situation I won't even accuse you of doping.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to agree - TTs will own you if you don't watch out. I am not interested in mixing it up in a conventional road race so up hills and TTs are all I would consider, have not done one yet but have been thinking about it.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time and place or it didn't happen.

Congrats for taking the leap.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never liked crits. Road races were okay as long as the field wasn't too big or bunched-up, but time trials - the "race of truth" - have always been my favorite. Just you against the clock. Yeah . . .
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23 miles is a looooooong first TT. That is a way to HTFU fast.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congratulations.......................so, how did you do?..........................and how do you feel this morning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    I took today off from riding , I thought I pulled a Glute muscle but it isn't even sore today, I usally ride 32 mile a day and skip a day or 2 during the week, so distance I feel comfortable with distance , its the going like a bat our of he__ the entire ride it was a first for me, I did manage around 21-22 on the way out and sort of bonked at the turn around when I realized there was'nt really a tail wind, and I was starting to
    feel warm and Dry, I noticed that I had a little fever for about 6 hours after the ride and two quarts of gatoraide light helped alot. I am really not sore at all today ,I didn take some aminoacids when I got home and drank a couple of those training beverage (Miller-lite) it help flush out the lactic-acid hey its my theory and I am sticking to it. HEre's the race location
    The Peter Teeuwen Memorial
    23 Mile Omnium Time Trials 2010

Presented by:
    Velo Racing Virginia
    Sundays: June 20th and August 15th the last race listed on the VA racing list is the 16 of june I hope my racing team post the times before them, I was passed by acouple youger people with those TT bikes and helmits those wheels are noisy as heck I could hear them coming for miles creeking like that.
    I must say it was the most effort I have ever put out in my life, and I used to run distance when I was younger, this was more painful to experience I must say like a try out for Navy Diving with the pullup , pushups and the running and swimming for time they never allow to recover before you move to the next stage I should try a TRI but my running is a lost cause with my back problems.
    I will post my time I should have placed some where above 10th place in the masters not willing to say more for now but we wll see.
    That Rep from USAC was all over the Volunteers to be sure it was done by the rules and I was carded when I signed up they couldn't believe I was a Master's I am 59 but my birthday is in OCt so I probably was the younger than the rest. Did I mention that I am off all my BP meds since ridding bikes the last 2 years.
    I will improve by next year hope to loose at least 30 LPBs I weighed around 220 for the trial. I will seek out a used TT helmet and wheels by next year for my Alan bike.
    Doug
    Hey I did pass a few younger people on the way back. they started several mins before me..go grandpa and the cheering at the finish helped ease the pain... hehe
    Last edited by djnzlab1; 06-21-10 at 07:32 AM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job and would agree with Hermes that 23 miles is a really big pill! Heck, there is strategy in just doing our 10 miler and I can only imagine what you felt like doing the 23 miler.

Come join us at Charlotte Motor Speedway for one of our 10 milers-we have 4 remaining this year. It is a very safe event since it's on the track and you should find it much tamer after doing the PT Memorial . We have a number of riders that travel in for the events. Here's the website where you can get more information:

www.carolinatt.org
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post

23 miles is a looooooong first TT. That is a way to HTFU fast.
    Word.

Congrats on your first. You always remember your first.

TTs are indeed addicting. Looking forward to future TT reports.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
    I have never ridden 23 miles so hard and fast in my life, note to self: I will do more sprints and such to build those muscles you use when you ride hard the entire ride TT's are harder than they look on TV.. hehe
    Hello djnzlab1,

Sounds like you had a great time in your first "race of truth." You can really sink a lot of time (training) and money (equipment) into the TT segment of bike racing. It all depends on how far you want to go.

Regarding your thought on doing sprints to prepare for a TT, they won't really help you a lot. You need to do some longer intervals while riding in a TT position. That will help build up your gluts and hamstrings and build up your aerobic capacity. There are a number of books available written by people with a lot more knowledge than me on the subject.

Most importantly, have fun with the training and the racing. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    As many new ridders often find out I wasn't as good as I thought I think I came in 13 in my group, and had a
    average time of 20.7 MPH, with that head wind going out . It seemed faster and distance was longer. hehe
    Doug
    Its had to est . your placement cause your so far apart. but what the heck it was my First and I may do better in the fall when its not 90+ with Humidity90+ . That cause many to bonk out and not finish at all,

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job on your first race. 20.7 mph is really good! You should be proud of you finish, 23 miles is a long first time TT.
    oldschool areodynamic brick