Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-10, 11:25 AM   #1
djnzlab1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My First Time Trial, whew that was fun.

HI,
Been thinking about trying one so I finally did, it was very warm this morning in VA.
I have never been on TT ramp so that was very weird, some nice guy made sure I didn't fall while I was already clipped in. The wind was in my face on the way out, I kept saying to myself mash hard it will be down wind on the way back. I noticed fluid was pouring out of my skin and My legs were burning.
Let me say the State Police had cars with lights on and were at every turn stopped traffic and pointed in the right direction as each rider approached , thanked everyone of them as I had never rode this course. It was a very rural area single lane occasional car.
Well the way back was not down wind it seemed we had a strong side wind .:not amused:
I made it Back, with my road bike, and road bike helmet. Haven't seen my time yet, I had to leave and they were just starting the 20 y/o. must been a bunch they were still warming up on their stands as I drove off. I didn't want to leave but I needed more fluids and my ice chest was low ( bring twice as much fluids as you think you will drink )
I must say I really did feel the burn after the ride, and my left leg had a cramped Glutis muscle that made it hard to get in the car. I walked like a cowboy for the first hour till my muscles loosened up,,,
I have never ridden 23 miles so hard and fast in my life, note to self: I will do more sprints and such to build those muscles you use when you ride hard the entire ride TT's are harder than they look on TV.. hehe
Neat experience give or take a little pain on the ride...
djnzlab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 11:47 AM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son-in-Law works with a TT rider- pretty good one in the area and we do adjust our ride routes out to support him. But Time Trials are the only form of racing allowed on the roads over here. They are not "Group" competitive and any-one can ride on the roads. The fact that they are marshalled and the bikes are going fast still does not make it a race.

But come to your senses quick. TT's are hard and although you may have only ridden for 45 minutes or so- The training for them will take over your life.

So what TT bike are you going to get and What wheels are you going to put on it?

Well done on achieving something that I will never do- but think hard about the next stage of your racing- It might eat into the Pie budget

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 01:30 PM   #3
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for posting, BT! I hope to start doing some TT's next year, if things work out. Keep us updated on any future efforts.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 01:45 PM   #4
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Because of your joyful willingness to suffer we will allow you to post your average speed and won't in anyway question it.

Heck, in honor of the situation I won't even accuse you of doping.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 02:29 PM   #5
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I'll have to agree - TTs will own you if you don't watch out. I am not interested in mixing it up in a conventional road race so up hills and TTs are all I would consider, have not done one yet but have been thinking about it.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 02:45 PM   #6
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
Time and place or it didn't happen.

Congrats for taking the leap.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 04:04 PM   #7
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: 1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
I never liked crits. Road races were okay as long as the field wasn't too big or bunched-up, but time trials - the "race of truth" - have always been my favorite. Just you against the clock. Yeah . . .
ciocc_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 10:27 PM   #8
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

23 miles is a looooooong first TT. That is a way to HTFU fast.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 02:45 AM   #9
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Congratulations.......................so, how did you do?..........................and how do you feel this morning?
Old 06-21-10, 07:16 AM   #10
djnzlab1

Bikes:
HI,
I took today off from riding , I thought I pulled a Glute muscle but it isn't even sore today, I usally ride 32 mile a day and skip a day or 2 during the week, so distance I feel comfortable with distance , its the going like a bat our of he__ the entire ride it was a first for me, I did manage around 21-22 on the way out and sort of bonked at the turn around when I realized there was'nt really a tail wind, and I was starting to
feel warm and Dry, I noticed that I had a little fever for about 6 hours after the ride and two quarts of gatoraide light helped alot. I am really not sore at all today ,I didn take some aminoacids when I got home and drank a couple of those training beverage (Miller-lite) it help flush out the lactic-acid hey its my theory and I am sticking to it. HEre's the race location
The Peter Teeuwen Memorial
23 Mile Omnium Time Trials 2010

Presented by:
Velo Racing Virginia
Sundays: June 20th and August 15th the last race listed on the VA racing list is the 16 of june I hope my racing team post the times before them, I was passed by acouple youger people with those TT bikes and helmits those wheels are noisy as heck I could hear them coming for miles creeking like that.
I must say it was the most effort I have ever put out in my life, and I used to run distance when I was younger, this was more painful to experience I must say like a try out for Navy Diving with the pullup , pushups and the running and swimming for time they never allow to recover before you move to the next stage I should try a TRI but my running is a lost cause with my back problems.
I will post my time I should have placed some where above 10th place in the masters not willing to say more for now but we wll see.
That Rep from USAC was all over the Volunteers to be sure it was done by the rules and I was carded when I signed up they couldn't believe I was a Master's I am 59 but my birthday is in OCt so I probably was the younger than the rest. Did I mention that I am off all my BP meds since ridding bikes the last 2 years.
I will improve by next year hope to loose at least 30 LPBs I weighed around 220 for the trial. I will seek out a used TT helmet and wheels by next year for my Alan bike.
Doug
Hey I did pass a few younger people on the way back. they started several mins before me..go grandpa and the cheering at the finish helped ease the pain... hehe

Last edited by djnzlab1; 06-21-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-21-10, 03:54 PM   #11
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Great job and would agree with Hermes that 23 miles is a really big pill! Heck, there is strategy in just doing our 10 miler and I can only imagine what you felt like doing the 23 miler.

Come join us at Charlotte Motor Speedway for one of our 10 milers-we have 4 remaining this year. It is a very safe event since it's on the track and you should find it much tamer after doing the PT Memorial . We have a number of riders that travel in for the events. Here's the website where you can get more information:

www.carolinatt.org
Old 06-21-10, 11:45 PM   #12
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post

23 miles is a looooooong first TT. That is a way to HTFU fast.
Word.

Congrats on your first. You always remember your first.

TTs are indeed addicting. Looking forward to future TT reports.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 08:42 AM   #13
Cleave
Old Road Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnzlab1 View Post
I have never ridden 23 miles so hard and fast in my life, note to self: I will do more sprints and such to build those muscles you use when you ride hard the entire ride TT's are harder than they look on TV.. hehe
Hello djnzlab1,

Sounds like you had a great time in your first "race of truth." You can really sink a lot of time (training) and money (equipment) into the TT segment of bike racing. It all depends on how far you want to go.

Regarding your thought on doing sprints to prepare for a TT, they won't really help you a lot. You need to do some longer intervals while riding in a TT position. That will help build up your gluts and hamstrings and build up your aerobic capacity. There are a number of books available written by people with a lot more knowledge than me on the subject.

Most importantly, have fun with the training and the racing. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.
See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/
Cleave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 12:57 PM   #14
djnzlab1

Bikes:
HI,
As many new ridders often find out I wasn't as good as I thought I think I came in 13 in my group, and had a
average time of 20.7 MPH, with that head wind going out . It seemed faster and distance was longer. hehe
Doug
Its had to est . your placement cause your so far apart. but what the heck it was my First and I may do better in the fall when its not 90+ with Humidity90+ . That cause many to bonk out and not finish at all,
Old 06-27-10, 08:32 PM   #15
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Nice job on your first race. 20.7 mph is really good! You should be proud of you finish, 23 miles is a long first time TT.