Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual beach ride

I was at Grayton Beach, Florida last weekend for a family reunion. I decided at the last minute to take Kemo Sabe, my rigid MTB. I'm glad I did as it was a perfect place for a casual morning ride on the plentiful bike paths and traffic-free side streets in the area.

I headed out just after sunrise Saturday for a little over 2 hours of riding in Grayton Beach and nearby Watercolor, Seaside and Santa Rosa Beach. The bike paths were nice, but I was happier on the empty streets of the upper crust planned communities that dotted the area.

The rigid MTB with semi-slick 2" wide tires, riser bars and sprung Brooks saddle was perfect for a relaxing ride in this area. I had no computer on the bike so I don't know how far or how fast I rode. Don't much care either.

The views of the beach, bay and neighborhoods were great. It is a shame that on our late afternoon beach walk we saw the dreaded arrival of the tar balls from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. I hate to think what this will mean for the thriving economy of the area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...28439190/show/

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds awesome!

Great pics, too!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one of the prettiest place a person could retire. I was down there in 2002 (Orange Beach) until 2006 and got hit by 4 hurricanes. Now that I'm gone they haven't had one. Oh well, nice pictures from a beautiful place and now the oil.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dawg, that looks pretty nice. Your Trek resembles my old hard tail MTB. I need to do some repairs on it and put some miles on it. Also, looks like we have the same wedge bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics. That is, 'til I got down to those %#@&* tar balls.

I too, have an older MTB, it's a Giant ATX 760, no suspension, canti brakes, road tires. Perfect for stuff like your Florida ride. Of course, the last time I was in Florida, the fort at St. Augustine was still pretty new.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a beautiful area.

there were tar balls in Miami when I was there as a kid in 1970. some day we'll be done with oil I suppose. let's hope so
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Formal name is Timpoochee Trail. Next time take the trail to its eastern terminus and ride through the communities of Rosemary Beach and Alys Beach. Walk out to the pristine beach at Deer Lake State Park. For a longer ride you can connect to scenic 98 into Panama City. But try not to let too many people know - they'll spoil it if BP hasn't already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Florida gulf beaches are beautiful. I've been to St. George Island a few times, and it looks just like your photos. The oil will be absolutely devastating. I wasn't aware that it was as bad as your photos show. The spill is a disaster of the first order.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just crusing near beaches is one of my favorite types of rides. No rush, no complications and good scenery.