Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N-1, R.I.P. Sweet Thang

Our son came home for Father's Day and brought my '05 Specialized Dolce Comp, which I loaned him a couple years ago, with him.

Father's Day was also his birthday. So he borrowed cgallagh's Fuji and we rode the tandem; managed the kid's age +6. He crashed hard a month ago and is finally getting back into riding.

We went to the LBS and helped him purchase a new bike, a Fuji SL-something Pro. It weighs less than my Diva, has Ultegra components, and of the nearly-dozen bikes he rode, he liked this on the best.

After sealing the deal and riding the new bike home he brought in the Dolce... He crashed it at least once. Never cleaned it as far as I can tell. The 105 components are barely worth posting on eBay. My 5 yr. old bike, my first road bike in 25 years, is pretty much toast. There are a few parts -- front and rear derailleurs, crankset -- that we can try to sell. I'm going to donate the frame to the local police force organization that fixes and gives bikes to kids.

That bike took me from the "let's take a ride" cyclist to "let's do a century a month" to "hey, let's try a time trial" to an eventual upgrade and a racing license. While I was saddened to see it so abused, I knew that it had served a purpose: It got me and my son addicted to cycling.

Cgallagh took off the brifters and customized them for use as faux brifters for my stoker bars. It strikes me that this is akin to being an organ donor: Every time I ride the tandem a part of the Dolce will go with me.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Sorry to hear that, Deb. Every bike is pretty special at some point in time, but maybe it'll get another life down the road a bit. I just N-1'd a bike, too. Just a small scratch (no blood) to show for it, but 'sure is painful to look at the classic DT crease behind the HT.

My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kids...

At least he rode the bike. Maybe a DVD on bike maintenance as an additional BD present.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky for him he didn't show you your old bike before you took him shopping for the new one. Let's hope he will take better care of his nice new bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Lucky for him he didn't show you your old bike before you took him shopping for the new one. Let's hope he will take better care of his nice new bike.
    +1

I have a problem with the kids in the road. I maintain their bikes when I see them- but I still get the knock on the door and "Can you fix my bike?" Trying to find out what is wrong with it as the only answer is- "It doesn't work". So quick ride and I now have spare bikes to loan them while I strip their bikes down for a complete rebuild.

Luckily it is mainly girls in the road and I now have two girls bikes for them to use but poor Chris has to borrow my MTB while his Wally Mart special is being degunged and rebuilt. Poor Chris? Because he knows that I am going to be taking him out on a proper ride when his bike is rebuilt- just to check that it is not going to fall apart again and to see if his legs can still beat me to the cafe 5 miles up the MUP---And he buys Breakfast.

But I am lucky- the bikes in the road are cr*p and they are not mine. If I were to get a bike back, as you have, whenever I loan one out I think I would cry- But I would blame it on the parents. For not getting him a better bike in the first place and then making him clean and maintain it every week.

But have to admit that My kids never cleaned their bikes either and I think it was them yelling out a few years ago "Dad---My bike doesn't work"
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan