User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding in the Outer Banks

Just got back from a week in the Outer Banks. We stayed in Southern Shores about 2 miles south of Duck. Sorry, no photos -- I forgot the camera. We had some very enjoyable rides despite the weather. Riding north to Corolla Light is about 20 miles along route 12. A lot of cars, but a wide shoulder and nice views. One direction is almost always windy. A pleasant surprise is the pretty, quiet and wooded roads on the sound side of Southern Shores and Kitty Hawk down to the Wright Brothers Memorial. We took the ocean side beach road down a bit past the Memorial in the morning before the heat got intense. After stopping for breakfast at Stack Em High, we returned on the well marked Wright Brothers bike route. It winds through nice sound side beach houses and wildlife preserves back up to rt 158. Continuing north thru Southern Shores you pass the Duck Woods Golf course and then ride under a canopy of trees past several miles of beautiful sound side houses. A nice alternative as the temperatures rise. These were casual rides, but that's all we do anyway
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always plan on a headwind on the Outer Banks! You get accustomed to it after a while.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there last week as well and rode the exact same routes you did! I was staying on Osprey Ridge Road in Duck.
    One morning I rode up the hill at the Memorial even though the signs say not to. A local guy named Mark said they do it early before anyone gets there.
    I was starting my rides at 6 am each morning.
    The rides through Duck Woods was beautiful and I agree that the bike trail off of Kitty Hawk Road was just as nice.
    One day I rode from Duck to Hatteras( well Bodie LightHouse) on 12 to 158 bypass and then back on Beach Road.

Each morning a group of locals ride from Food Lion at 5:30am. I met a few and they showed me the route though Duck to Kitty Hawk without getting on 12.

I wonder if I passed you anytime?

Edit...I had camera but batteries were dead! Starting search for new camera as mine is old anyway.
    Last edited by kr32; 06-22-10 at 07:31 PM. Reason: add about camera

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    I was there last week as well and rode the exact same routes you did!
    I was starting my rides at 6 am each morning...
    I wonder if I passed you anytime?
    I was still sipping my morning coffee when you were pulling back into your drive at the end of your ride. My wife was just waking up. We are retired so we don't do early mornings anymore.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson