Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Happy Fathers Day to all us cycling maniacs.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Aah, the joys of being a dad. To my wife i am the Mighty Bug Killer, to my daughter in College i am the ATM, to the county tax collector i own an "Estate", to my dentist i make the payments for his Mercedes, to the LBS i am a welcome sight, my family says " You got another bike?', are you nuts?. But it is all worth it when i go to the Local Hawaiian Shirt store and buy another one that lights up the party!. When they all gather around to day and wish us a happy fathers day, cook our favorite food, bring us our beverage of choice, sit back in our easy chair and yes we will be" King for a day ". (I hope they don't see that other bike i just saved from the dump). Happy Fathers Day to all.
Old 06-20-10, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I heard a radio announcer going on about what to give Dad for fathers day and the mention of all the latest toys from I-Pad to I-whatevers. Then he says " If you don't have the money to buy your Dad a gift, give him what he really wants. Give him the gift of time.... No, NOT TIME WITH YOU or your snotty nosed brats. Just leave him the hell alone! Give him time to go do what he wants, uniterrupted from the everyday stuff. Just let him be!" I couldn't stop laughing.

I love my wife and kids but I have to admit, sometimes time, is really appreciated.

Happy Fathers Day all.
Old 06-20-10, 10:09 AM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm lucky that my wife (who was a avid club-rider up until about 1990) and my daughter support my return to cycling. They bought me a hydration pack for my Fathers Day gift!
Old 06-20-10, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
I'm lucky that my wife (who was a avid club-rider up until about 1990) and my daughter support my return to cycling. They bought me a hydration pack for my Fathers Day gift!
I am slowly winning them over to cycling. About two months ago i picked up a Trek Elance 400 with a triple that is very small, fits my daughter so she wants to start to ride with her friends. That's a thoughtful gift and i am sure you will use it often.
Old 06-20-10, 11:03 AM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am slowly winning them over to cycling. About two months ago i picked up a Trek Elance 400 with a triple that is very small, fits my daughter so she wants to start to ride with her friends.
My daughter is only seven and already has her eyes on my wife's 1980 Colnago Super. She rides her competition-grade BMX bike with me around the neighborhood. I went through two water bottles before reaching home on my last solo 20-mile ride (heat index was 105 that day), so the hydration pack will probably see a lot of use this summer.
Old 06-20-10, 11:30 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Must be the sadistic nature of the British but today is the London to Brighton Bike ride. 30,000riders trying to emulate the 3,000or so that regularly ride. Luckily I got out of it this year by telling everyone I had a beter ride planned. ANY ride is better than this one. The accidents are numerous and their is normally a fatality somewhere along the ride- whether it be through medical reasons or accidents.

But my second daughter came round about 3 o'clock with a large tub of Turkish delight and a smaller one of Nougat. Just the present I require for the recovery food after a ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-20-10, 11:40 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 10YO is planning to take a spin with me on her new road bike - what more could a cyclin Dad ask for.
Old 06-20-10, 01:49 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
In honor of Father's Day my family let me take one of those 'wake up hallucinating unsure of which planet I'm on' naps where I dreamed I put in for a research grant on the effects of cycling on diverticulitis. Honest.

I think I got to cut back on the mileage a bit.
Old 06-20-10, 03:18 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A short video from my afternoon ride with my daughter along the Mohawk river.

https://picasaweb.google.com/cyclinad...65536825695698
Old 06-20-10, 07:53 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Celebrated Fathers day and my birthday. got some cool bike stuff, a new incredibell for my commuter bike and a new safety vest and some merino wool socks, a Louis Garneau jersey (very cool) some new fingerless gloves. I made out pretty good. We celebrated my father in law for fathers day and all us other dads in the fam it was great
Old 06-20-10, 08:14 PM

Bikes: lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to raleigh today with my youngest daughter to visit my dad in wake med.He has heart,lung and kidney disease.The last few weeks he has built up alot of fluid and our local hospital wasn't doing much so I took him to wake friday.He has dropped about 7lbs of fluid so far but has a ways to go maybe he will be able to come home the end of the week.He was in much better spirits we talked about bicycles motorcycles and soccer TODAY WAS TIME WELL SPENT

Last edited by VROD; 06-20-10 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 04:13 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went to the flea market fathers day as a vendor. Get a few $ for bike stuff. I road the twenty miles to the flea market while the wife had the car full of stuff. I had a flat so to be expedient i put a new tube on the rim. during instilation I put two holes in the new tube so i patched the old tube and reinstalled it and was on my way. Got another flat down the road pumped some air in it and got the two miles to the flea market.
Patched everything up at the flea marked for the ride home. With the heat index 102, I was glad to sell enough stuff to put the bike in the car for the ride home.
Got home and I thought my wife was behind me to got through the door. Well the dogs got out and i had to chase them for 1/2 mile. They were really heat stressed being inside dogs and requiring to air conditioning.
Old 06-22-10, 08:48 AM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
When they all gather around to day and wish us a happy fathers day, cook our favorite food, bring us our beverage of choice, sit back in our easy chair and yes we will be" King for a day ".
Hi,

My "King for the Day" routine started with a 75 mile solo ride to my parents' house. The balance of my family drove there. My father and I were treated to a barbecue (prime rib for dad, salmon patties for me). Some nice desserts were followed by an easy drive home and a Netflix-delivered movie.

A tiring but satisfying day.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 06-22-10, 09:36 AM
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did a nice 45-miler with both kids (who are in their 20s). Then I drove out to the countryside with my wife and bought a half-bushel of peaches. Good times, good times.