User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any One Eyed Riders Out There?

On January 15th I suffered a torn retina. Since then I've 4 surgeries on my right eye to reattach it. I now have a buckle around the eye and the retina seems to be holding. On July 13th I see the doc, and if all is well I have an eye exam to get the vision as clear as possible. I should point out I've cataract surgery in both eyes. My left is 20/20, but I need glasses for reading.

I have no idea what to expect as far as how clear my right eye will be, but my big concern is the loss of my peripheral vision on the right side.

I am getting ready to get on my bike again after 1.5 years off. I was just cleared via a stress test by my doc (I'm 60 and weigh 270) to ride, but for a while I'll do my riding on a trainer.

I'm thinking at a minimum I should a mount mirror on my right side.

Bruce

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm real interested in your outcomes. On Memorial Day I was in a cycling accident (with a dog). The impact was so strong that the retina of my right eye has started to detach. Growing up, I had a friend with vision out of one eye. He rode motorcycles for over 30 years. He said that you just get used to moving your head more that other people. Don't know if a mirror on the right side will do much good given it's the right eye that would have to do the work. I wish I knew more that I could tell you. What surgeries did they perform? The folks I'm dealing with are talking about lasers and a cryogenic thing. I must confess, I've not done much research on either.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm currently riding with very limited vision in the right eye. So far I've experienced little difficulty. I am, however, being much more cautious.
    Last edited by NOS88; 06-23-10 at 01:25 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I'm real interested in your outcomes. On Memorial Day I was in a cycling accident (with a dog). The impact was so strong that the retina of my right eye has started to detach. Growing up, I had a friend with vision out of one eye. He rode motorcycles for over 30 years. He said that you just get used to moving your head more that other people. Don't know if a mirror on the right side will do much good given it's the right eye that would have to do the work. I wish I knew more that I could tell you. What surgeries did they perform? The folks I'm dealing with are talking about lasers and a cryogenic thing. I must confess, I've not done much research on either.
    The first attempt was using one laser, then a second type and when that didn't work using the cryogenic unit which seemed to work. 3 days later it started to separate again. I had surgery as an out patient. I was under sedation but not general anesthesia. The doctor used both the laser and the cryo unit this time from inside the eye. A week later the retina detached again. Emergency surgery under general anesthesia. Again with the laser and then a buckle (think big rubber band) was placed around the eye and the eye was filled with oil to hold the retina in place. 3 months later all appears OK and a month ago I had the oil removed. Not a lot of fun.

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce282; 06-23-10 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope it works out for you. I would think that depth perception would be a big concern as well as peripheral vision.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of luck to you both.

When you do get out there take it easy and slow. What are the local recreation path possibilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, depth perception. For hiking, a person with one good eye has difficulties crossing small streams with rocks as a bridge across the way. I figure its the same for mountain biking. The terrain becomes too technical because that kind of riding is about depth perception. And not necessarily about peripheral vision.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce282 View Post
    The first attempt was using one laser, then a second type and when that didn't work using the cryogenic unit which seemed to work. 3 days later it started to separate again. I had surgery as an out patient. I was under sedation but not general anesthesia. The doctor used both the laser and the cryo unit this time from inside the eye. A week later the retina detached again. Emergency surgery under general anesthesia. Again with the laser and then a buckle (think big rubber band) was placed around the eye and the eye was filled with oil to hold the retina in place. 3 months later all appears OK and a month ago I had the oil removed. Not a lot of fun.

Bruce
    Best wishes to you, Bruce. I tore a retina 18 months ago -- an unfortunate occasional consequence of being 58 years old and 7.5 diopters myopic -- and had cryotherapy to create scar tissue to glue the retina against the back of the eyeball, to try to prevent what you have gone through with the detachment. Since my tear was on the medial fringe of my left retina*, my critical extreme left peripheral vision was at risk.

____
    * The lens projects images upside down and backward onto the retina.

Public service announcement: Know the symptoms -- flashes and floaters -- of a torn retina and get thee to a qualified retinologist ASAP if you experience them.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost sight in my left eye at age 19 from a car accident. It did take some time to get used to the loss of peripheral vision and depth perception, but I adapted well. I rode motorcycles for years and have been bicycle riding again for about five years. I am now 53 so it has been a long time since I lost sight. I do need to keep my head moving a bit more than others, but it is now quite natural. One concession is that I have a small mirror on my left bar and it makes it easier to keep an eye on paceline partners and traffic. To turn left to see back would require a significant turn of my body, so I depend on the mirror.

It does make you more careful with your 'good eye', but I can't say it has kept me from trying anything I want to do.

Hope your issues work out for you.

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I hope it works out for you. I would think that depth perception would be a big concern as well as peripheral vision.
    I have two eyes, and they both work, but they don't aim in the same direction. I have normal vision maybe a third of the time; other times it's double (one image above the other) and I have to close one eye to eliminate one image and figure out what's going on. I've been riding that way for two years or so. Some observations:
    Peripheral vision was worrisome at first, and I'd still rather have it, but you can compensate with a mirror and by taking a lot of pains to look all around you before you make a move. I'm still working on it--I used to sort of enjoy city traffic, but I avoid it now.
    Depth perception, or the lack of it, doesn't bother me much. You may get used to that fairly quickly. But since I can often get a fleeting instant of binocular vision, maybe not. Even a fraction of a second helps me get oriented.
    I stayed off the bike for about six months in hopes things would get better. When they didn't, I started riding around the neighborhood on uncrowded roads to get the feel back. It took awhile, and I'm still not as comfortable as i once was (I've been riding since the early '70s, so I'm pretty much at ease on the bike). I may never get back to the kind of exploration and mountain bike riding I used to do. But if I pick my spots and times, I can still ride. And a guy I know, who lost one eye as a kid in elementary school, is a really strong rider who does at least 4000 miles a year in our short season, so it CAN be done.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for all the information. Due to my age and being grossly out of shape I will be starting slow no doubt about it. I live ~ 10 miles outside of DC so there are lots of bike paths and easy trails around my house. Depth perception hasn't been a big problem yet. I always used both mirrors all the time while driving so the only thing I've had to do is move my head a little more to the right to use the right outside mirror. Like you all said I just just take it slow and easy at first.

Bruce

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every case is unique, but in general I don't believe it will be much of a limitation.

Sid Ferris wore a patch over his missing left eye while he set British distance-in-24-hours, time-to-1000-miles, Edinburgh-to-London and the Land's End-to-John O'Groats records in the late 1930s.

Mr. Ferris' end-to-end record stood for 20 years.

tcs
    Last edited by tcs; 06-24-10 at 07:25 AM.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    2010 Giant Rapid - Older Trek 820 - 1970 Schwinn Continental
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have strabismus, where my eyes do not operate together. I still have peripheral vision in both eyes, but I can only focus on an object with one eye at a time. I can switch from one eye to the other eye at any given time, but it takes about 1/2 second to do the switch.

Thus, I do not have binocular depth perception. Interestingly, I can still judge distances fairly well, but my dominant eye is far better at it than the other. Relative motion seems to really help too. My assumption is that our brains can learn how to assimilate the data from one eye and do a reasonable job of estimating distance.

I do not notice any particular issues while bicycling due to my lack of binocular vision. As has been said, I would be a lot more concerned about peripheral vision. I would expect that if your peripheral vision does not fully recover, then you might have to turn your head continuously to see all around you.

All of the discussion aside, I pray that you have a complete recovery and do not have to worry about any of this.
    2010 Giant Rapid 2
    Older Trek 820
    1970 Schwinn Continental

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I hope the last half of your year beats the first!

You might want to try something like a Take-a-Look mirror mounted on your eyeglasses. A small turn of the head has you covered from the rear.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to all restoring your lost vision.

Amblyopia and Strabismus in my right eye means I have crap for depth perception.
    Since I have always been this way it's hard to relate to your situation.

My advice would be to take it slow, allowing yourself to adjust to your new visual acuity.

Luck,
    Jeff - still fat