User Tag List

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 Motobecane Grand Record review

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was looking for a bike to add to the stable and it was going to be Ti, but the cost turned me away as it was just a bit out of budget right now, so I tripped over the Motobecane Grand Record at bikesdirect.com. They were closing out the 2010's and I got this one for $599 including tax and shipping.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...d_record_x.htm

I was looking for a non CF bike to help satisfy the N+1 equation and this fits the bill nicely. I ordered it on a Saturday night (6/19) and it arrived on my door step in So Cal on Thursday (6/24). It was well packaged and in perfect condition. It took about 45 minutes to assemble and fine tune. I sprayed it down with Simple Green and then rinsed it to get rid of that shipping grease and then re-lubed everything The wheels are XRP COMP Vuelta and were true right out of the box. The components are low end Sora and Tiagra and I expect to replace them with some Ultegra and 105 components I have from other builds, but they were perfectly adjusted out of the box as well. The paint is flawless and the CF fork is beautiful.

I took the first ride, 8 miles, with it exactly as it came. The saddle sucks...no other way to put it, and I needed to change the stem because the reach was way out there. So I dumped the saddle and went with a Specialized Toupe I have here and while I was at it I stuck in a CF seat post that has a better adjustment head on it. Losing the seat and aluminum seat post trimmed a few oz off the bike as well. Now with the new saddle and shorter stem I went out Friday afternoon and did 25 miles on it...and I'm really impressed. Now I know I won't be comparing apples to apples here but I ride a Madone with SRAM Force components and shifters and a SRAM Red crank, Easton EA 90 Aero wheels riding on Michelin Lithion tires. It also has Campy mirage brakes on it. The ride of the Motobecane is only slightly more harsh than my Madone. It handles very nice and the Tektra brakes to a reasonable job. I'm also somewhat surprised at the components...they work great and shift nice. I'm not crazy about the Sora shifters, but they will do until I swap them out with the 105's I have here as well. I'm not used to riding a triple again and this is kind of a pain...much more shifting than I remember from my first bike, but again, I have a Ultegra compact 50/34 crank sitting here as well. The wheels are heavy and don't roll as nice as the Eastons, but that's to be expected since the Eastons cost more than the entire Motobecane did. All in all, I don't think you could get more bang for your buck with a new bike. While I have purchased 5 bikes from my LBS over the last several years and support them in every way I can,they couldn't come close to this bike for less than $1,000. I'm at the point that I know what I want and know what is what. So buying online seemed like the thing to do this time...and come Christmas I'll be looking at that Ti frame by Motobecane.

I'm going to put 40-50 miles on it this morning and then this afternoon I'll swap out the crank and maybe the shifters. My first bike was sold to me by my LBS and it was NOT properly sized, so I ended up on a 56 that was too big for me and sold it when I bought my Madone. So I have only had one road bike at a time before now and the N+1 is presenting a different dilemma...how do you choose which bike to ride!?

The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the review. It looks like a good value.

I can't help but notice the way you have the seat post mounted with the setback pointing forward. That and the fact that you needed to use a shorter than stock stem makes me wonder about the sizing of the frame. Do you by chance have relatively long legs and short arms and upper body?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Thanks for the review. It looks like a good value.

I can't help but notice the way you have the seat post mounted with the setback pointing forward. That and the fact that you needed to use a shorter than stock stem makes me wonder about the sizing of the frame. Do you by chance have relatively long legs and short arms and upper body?
    I'm not sure how I compare to others BD, I'm 5' 10" with a measured inseam of 33". When I bought my Madone I rode a 52 and I felt like I was all over it, it was too small. I had some fit issues with the 54 I bought too, I think a 53 would be perfect, but that is usually an in between size, but I worked them out with the 54 with my LBS and now have a good idea what I should be doing. That being said, the guy that helped me is NOT a professional fitter, just an experienced rider. A LBS that is affiliated with the club I ride with has a professional fitting program and I'm thinking of spending a couple of hours doing it.

Notice on my Madone I can ride it with the post to the rear, but I do have a short stem on it.

Perhaps it's just the difference in geometry of the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is your knee relative to the pedal the same on both of those bikes? The yellow one's saddle looks so much further forward.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    So, is your knee relative to the pedal the same on both of those bikes? The yellow one's saddle looks so much further forward.
    Yes, the knee is the same. If you hang a plumb bob from the top of the seat tube down and measure across to the center of the crank it is only 1/4" difference...but if you measure from the front of the seat tube to the steer tube the Motobecane is a full inch farther away than the Madone. 20.5" vs 19.5"

I've made many adjustments and read tons of articles on fit and what works best for me is 28-28.25" seat height (center of crank to top of seat) and 18.5" from the tip of the seat to the front of the bars. The one thing that doesn't seem to matter is bar height in relation to the saddle as long as it isn't more than 2" below the saddle. The Motobecane is about 1.5" below the saddle while the Madone is about 1/2" below. I do get more numbness on the Motobecane but I think the cork tape on it may be part of the problem, I prefer the gel tapes.
    Mark

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe how much better my bike feels after I got it fit to me. With all of the laser lights on me I felt like a picture in a museam but it worked.

Good looking ride however. I have Sora on the Jamis and am considering changing to 105s as well. I am also looking for and older steel frame to build.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I can't believe how much better my bike feels after I got it fit to me. With all of the laser lights on me I felt like a picture in a museam but it worked.

Good looking ride however. I have Sora on the Jamis and am considering changing to 105s as well. I am also looking for and older steel frame to build.
    How long did it take Bob...I'm considering it.
    Mark

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 2 hours. For me and Rich, Duramax, it was worth it.