Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures from Ride the Rockies

Here is a link that hopefully you can access and view my many pictures from RtR 2010. My batteries were dead for the Monument Loop in Grand Junction on the first day so sorry I don't have any of those. Just imagine circling around the top rim of Sedona!

Enjoy!

http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ockies%202010/

Here is a small sample:

Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures! This really makes me want to do this ride someday.

Those tents sure are close together!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos; seems like such a great ride.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a really nice event. Pictures are great, as were your updates during the event. I need to put my name in the lottery hat next year.

Hope to see you at Harmon Field next week for the Fab Fourth. It may not be the Rockies, but the Saluda area offers some fine cycling roads - with a few good climbs, though a bit short of 10K'.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Great pictures! This really makes me want to do this ride someday.

Those tents sure are close together!
    You would fit in and absolutely love this ride. Not only would you enjoy the scenery I know you'd really like the comraderie that goes along with the event. Plus, they have local bands at the Beer Garden every night that play your kind of music. I'm sure they'd welcome another of their own to the stage to assist as well!

The picture above of tent city was in Ouray where they actually ran out of tent spaces. It was the only place it happened all week. People were putting up tents in some of the tightest spots imaginable. It was part of the incentive of me getting an earlier start and trying to get to the next city before the big rush. The only flat spot in Ouray was the field we were camping on. The Main St that runs through Ouray is probably on a 5% grade???
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures.

The tent city makes me nervous. What about all the old guys who have to take a leak in the middle of the night? What about the snoring zombie in the next tent? And all the flatus production? My word.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Great pictures.

The tent city makes me nervous. What about all the old guys who have to take a leak in the middle of the night? What about the snoring zombie in the next tent? And all the flatus production? My word.
    And, then there are couples who find the energy to - well, you know. One lady reported being next to such a couple right in the gymnasium.

Great pics, jppe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    And, then there are couples who find the energy to - well, you know. One lady reported being next to such a couple right in the gymnasium.

Great pics, jppe.
    And we thought we were being quiet. Great photos.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics - great ride. Maybe some day, if I ever retire.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures.

Earplugs are a really big help. With ear plugs you can not only elimnate unwanted nocturnal noises but you can put your tent fairly close to the john so you're not tripping over tent stakes and tent strings in the middle of the night trying to get to the john.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics!
    Glad you enjoyed our corner of the country.

I live in Grand Junction and I rode the Monument and the Grand Mesa with RTR. Then the next week I went and did the Bicycle Tour of Colorado.

It was my first event like that. I was concerned about camping so close to so many other people, I'm used to remote wilderness camping, but it was just fine. Most everyone was in bed and quiet by dark.

On BTC Day 1 it was 110 miles and over Slumgullion Pass. I got in at 7pm, a 12 hour ride for me. Put up tent, shower, dinner and bed. I slept so hard that I never heard the shower trucks drive out just 10 feet from my tent that night.

I wondered how they were going to fit everyone into Ouray for RTR. It's a tiny town, mostly on a hill!

A few days before RTR came to GJ I ran into a guy in town from NZ. He was here for RTR. We ended up inviting him to stay at our place a couple of nights, out of the rain. Very nice guy. He's now touring down the west coast to LA and then will fly home.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into a nurse today who had just gotten back from a trip to Colorado. Quod she, "You have got to take your bike out there and ride a little. They have bike lanes everywhere, even on the expressways. You go to a store and the bike racks out front are full of bikes. It must be a cyclists' paradise".

I'm pretty sure she didn't have Black Hawk on her itinerary.

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bike tours in co are not over crmbt.com is aug 1-7
    come join me now off to shuttleguy tri state and wics northwoods rides

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent pictures!
    On page 5 the one "where I rode from" really shows the elevation! Wow!
    It is so beautiful there.

Oh, why were you and Johnny in front of the Sag wagon? You didn't did you?
    Thanks for sharing.
    KR

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures.

You can deal with all of those problems with the proper drugs. I'm going to do that ride, someday. On my recumbent. Not many 'bents there, I'll bet.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful pictures, Joe --- looks like a dream ride! We drove through Ouray last year on our way to Durango. The town looked like a picture postcard, on just a regular day passing through. I recall the main street leading up to the start of the harrowing drive called the Million Dollar Highway.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the best riding in the country is right here in Colorado.

What did you think of Wolf Creek Pass?

I've driven over it in a car and motorcycle, skied it, and hiked it but never biked it. I think coming from the Pagosa Springs side as you folks did must have been killer.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbman100 View Post

I've driven over it in a car and motorcycle, skied it, and hiked it but never biked it. I think coming from the Pagosa Springs side as you folks did must have been killer.
    I actually skipped riding up Wolf Creek Pass that day, for a variety of reasons.
    That I thought it would be a difficult ride was not one of the reasons...

Driving up it in a sag it didn't look as tough as Slumgullion Pass. Slumgullion is almost as tough as the Grand Mesa....

Wolf Creek: A stairstep approach, a few switchbacks, a grade for a few miles. I climb with a 30-34 gear so I would not worry about it. I did ride from the top into Center, 50 miles.

I'll come back later in the summer and ride Wolf Creek.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Wonderful pictures, Joe --- looks like a dream ride! We drove through Ouray last year on our way to Durango. The town looked like a picture postcard, on just a regular day passing through. I recall the main street leading up to the start of the harrowing drive called the Million Dollar Highway.
    Yep-we did the Million Dollar Highway first thing that morning. It was really beautiful looking back down into Ouray-pretty chilly that morning as I recall though.

Quote Originally Posted by jbman100 View Post
    Some of the best riding in the country is right here in Colorado.

Wolf Creek Pass was actually very nice-I was feeling some of the hills and miles by then as it was late in the week but took it pretty easy and scooted right up. I'm pretty sure it was 7% the entire way up.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Excellent pictures!
    On page 5 the one "where I rode from" really shows the elevation! Wow!
    It is so beautiful there.

Oh, why were you and Johnny in front of the Sag wagon? You didn't did you?
    Thanks for sharing.
    KR
    Funny-I didn't even notice the Sag wagon!! So no, but I did see a lot of people in the Sags during the week. There were also several cases of saddle sores which did some folks in. Johnny showed us a trick on how to use the porta johns for bike racks. You go the back side of the Portajohns and stick your wheel in the crack between the johns. Pretty clever. We starting doing it and not too long after there were tons of folks doing the same.....
    Ride your Ride!!