Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Mount on bars.

After my experiment of taking videos on the move with the Tandem last week--I decided that it would be safer to have the camera mounted on the bike.

So last night I looked at my Lamps and their mountings and they all have the same problem. Once fitted- the camera would have to stay on the bike. But one of my lamps has a quick fit/release system. Took a few searches on camera mounts but I found the right thread screww that would replace the Lamp bolt.

So 5 minutes later and I have a bar mounted camera. It works- but not at speed. Vibration through the bars makes a Video unviewable. OK for very flat road or slow speed but not suitable for Vids at speed.

camera bars..jpg camera1..jpg

Will be uploading some vids of todays ride on another posting butThis video will show the vibration I get through the bars. It also confirms the other problem of Wind noise so turn the volume down before you play it.

So I will be looking for a helmet mount for the camera. Hopefully that will eliminate the vibration aspect of the filming. It's either that or only find uphills on a ride. Don't really fancy that somehow.

How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one too. Fine for stills, but the videos make me seasick.

I used these instructions: http://content.photojojo.com/diy/att...-to-your-bike/
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better be careful. You were on the wrong side of the road the entire time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a program call the Desharker that will clear up a lot of the shake. It is a two step process working with Virtualdub that can take a fair amount of time to finish. Here's how well it can work, http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7210237/18787156

Another problem your seeing is due to shock knocking the camera out of focus. Speed, high tire pressure, road imperfections and small bits of debris will cause this. A helmet mount may help to stop this problem by using your body as a shock absorber. Try riding slower to reduce the shock.

This movie I made was all well under 30kph on a very smooth surface. The small sticks I hit with my 80psi tires still knocks the camera out of focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyYP8K4htlI

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an EPIC helmet cam. http://www.buy.com/prod/epic-stealth...215209754.html

Here's an example of one of my vids.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remind me never to complain about narrow roads
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Remind me never to complain about narrow roads
    It's really bad when a truck goes by.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    It's really bad when a truck goes by.
    What Truck?
    My first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zmRA_xX5Iw
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    think JoeyBike recommended fat tires/low pressure if mounting on bars.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unit as mentioned by TSL is what I was trying to achieve. But the Quick release system I used is basically the same. It is fine at slow speeds- but Vibration is the problem.----and the wind noise.

And those roads--This is the type of road I normally ride on. Back country roads with not a great deal of traffic. Luckily on this type of road cyclists get respect. But this is a Freeway? compared to some of our routes. Meet a tractor and trailer round here and evasive action might be needed.

DSC00311..jpg

BUT get on the main roads and just watch out.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 3/4" P clamp, a long 3/4" screw with some locking nuts and a Velbon Quick Release system that I already owned. Use a P-clamp that's small enough so you can get it tightened completely. The only thing that solved camera shake for me was when I bought an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020--it's got dual image stabilization--mechanical and via software. Here's 2 photos that show the P-clamp, long screw and the very bottom of the Velbon QR plate as well as the camera on the bike .

389281199..jpg

bike_backyard_June_2010..jpg

Here's a link to a video shot with the Olympus. There's no camera shake, unlike earlier videos I shot using other camcorders. You do see me weaving around, but this was taken on one of the unpaved forest roads that have potholes everywhere so I weave around trying to avoid hitting any (some are deep enough they'd break spokes).

Last edited by nwmtnbkr; 07-03-10 at 12:27 PM.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of those dinky little SpyCam things that looks like a car remote. I mount if with Velcro to the handle bars. It is so light that the vibration is not a problem at all. I still get seasick watching the vids, because of the banking and swerving I seem to do. Maybe a helmet mount would be better for that reason.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully will be going offroad this weekend so will see if the fatter tyres and front suspension take some of the vibration out. Don't think it will be any good downhill but its worth a try.

But the reason I went for mounting the camera on the bike was due to a ride on the Tandem a few weeks ago. This is explained in a posting I made at the time and is on.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...d-on-the-beast

Riding one handed- even as a stoker- is not the safest thing to do. Even on smooth trails.

But one thing I have noticed with a Bar mount----You can't tell the severity of the hills. They all look flat. This vid is on an 8% slope but it all looks flat. So uphill- two of us going for it and it is boring. Wasn't for me as Ross forgot about the left hand bend. Took it at around 25mph and that should not have been possible.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtnbkr View Post
    Here's a link to a video shot with the Olympus. There's no camera shake, unlike earlier videos I shot using other camcorders. You do see me weaving around, but this was taken on one of the unpaved forest roads that have potholes everywhere so I weave around trying to avoid hitting any (some are deep enough they'd break spokes
    Looks good, but you need to find a way to level it. The camera is leaning way to the left.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.