Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only us old folks will remember this.

Well,

The kids are out for the summer.

Don't why it made me think of this

Maybe I can get some work out them!!!!!!

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of, "Dear Mom and Dad, I really mi$$ you a lot. I'm running out of $ome $tuff. You know what. Plea$e $end lot$ more. Thank$."

Reply went something like, "Dear JuNOir, we kNOw you're having a great time."

I think I was still riding my 24" (wheel size) Western Flyer single speed (with coaster brake) when Alan Sherman released his album. Brings back memories!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Crap.

I'm old.

Damn kids need to get off my lawn.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I remember that too
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... I was just thinking about that song the other day! Before I clicked the link I was wondering "what will it be?" My guess (or is it hope?) was that it might have been old clips of Mickey Mouse Club... perhaps even Spin and Marty! Very good memory though... thanks.

Here's one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNK5KzI48mM

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, remember it well. Although I never went to a real camp, it's still a trip down memory lane.

Around that same era, Ray Stevens came out with some funny stuff as well.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Around that same era, Ray Stevens came out with some funny stuff as well.
    Gitarzan has got to be one of the classics of modern musical achievement.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, man, I'd finally gotten that song out of my head from the last time I listened to it (two years ago). Now it's stuck there again (and in my wife's head also, since she was within earshot of my computer).
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now the real question that popped into my head is what was the name of the classical piece it's based on? Help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I was a squadron commander in the Air Force when this came out. I was too busy "defending my country" to listen to such stuff!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit later as a Recruit in the Marines. Can remember plenty of takes on that going home to Mum & dad in letters.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Now the real question that popped into my head is what was the name of the classical piece it's based on? Help!
    I know it is from a Ballet- but every time I think of men & Ballet- all I can think of is "The nutcracker Suite"
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Wikipedia, it's from:

Dance of the Hours
    is a ballet from the opera La Gioconda composed by Amilcare Ponchie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summer camp? What the heck is that. Too busy mowing laws, picking blackberries and blueberries to make money.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in New York City and just realized that he was making fun of the way we talk!!! Back then he sounded like one of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    According to Wikipedia, it's from:

Dance of the Hours
    is a ballet from the opera La Gioconda composed by Amilcare Ponchie
    Thanks,I should have checked there instead of taking up your valuable time.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a snotty nosed "kid" in the USAF (Lowry AFB near Denver) when that song was popular.

A few years ago a friend sent me an email similar to this. I enjoyed reading over and over. I even sent it to my kids and told them I was at camp.

Camp Tomahawk

Dear Mom,
    We are having a great time here at Camp Tomahawk. Scoutmaster Powell is making all of us write to our parents in case you saw the flood on TV and got worried. We are okay. Only one of our tents and two sleeping bags and Jim's backpack got washed away. Luckily none of us got drowned because we were all up on the mountain looking for Jake when it happened. Oh yea, please call Jake's mom and tell her he is okay. He can't write because of the cast. I got to ride in one of the search and rescue jeeps. It was neat. We never would have found him if it hadn't been for the lightning. Assistant Scoutmaster Seaton got mad at Jake for going on a hike alone without telling anyone. Jake said that he told Mr. Hakes but it was during the fire so he probably didn't hear him.
    Did you know that if you pour gas on a fire the gas can will blow up? The wet wood still didn't burn, but one of our tents did, also some of our clothes. Zack is going to look weird until his hair grows back.
    We will be home Wednesday if Mr. McCarthur gets the bus fixed. It wasn't his fault about the wreck. The brakes worked okay when we left. Scoutmaster Powell said that with a bus that old you have to expect something to break down. That is probably why they haven't been able to get insurance on it. It is a neat bus, nobody cares if we get it dirty now. It is a lot cooler to ride in now that it doesn't have a top on it.
    Scoutmaster Powell is a neat Scoutmaster. Don't worry, he is a good driver, in fact he is teaching Scott how to drive. But he only lets him drive on mountain roads where there isn't any traffic. All we see up here are logging trucks.
    This morning all of us were jumping off the rocks and swimming in the lake. Mr. Haddon wouldn't let me because I can't swim and Jake was afraid he would sink because of his cast. So he let us take the canoe across the lake. It was great. You can still see some of the trees under the water from the flood. Mr. Armstrong isn't crabby like some troops' leaders. He didn't even get mad at me about the life jackets. He has to spend a lot of time working on the bus so we are trying not to cause him any trouble.
    Guess what? We have all passed our first aid merit badge! When Sky dove into the lake and cut his arm, we got to see how a tourniquet works. Also Dan and I threw up. Scoutmaster Powell said it was probably just food poisoning from the leftover chicken.
    I have to go now. We are going to town to mail these letters and buy some bullets. Don't worry about anything.
    Love,
    Mikey
    PS - How long has it been since I had a tetanus shot?

Here's the website --> http://www.scoutorama.com/scout_lib/camp_letter.cfm
    Last edited by RonH; 06-28-10 at 02:00 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Thanks,I should have checked there instead of taking up your valuable time.
    no problem...i was curious, too. i remember the first time i heard the "original", how surprised i was..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RonH stated

I was a snotty nosed "kid" in the USAF (Lowry AFB near Denver) when that song was popular.
    Interesting - I was Admin Officer and later the commander of the 3428th Student Squadron - Special Instruments and Photography - 1962 - 1965 at Lowry!

Perhaps we knew each other?

I went on a Lighthouse Tour in CA a couple of years ago, and it came out that the tour guide volunteer and I had sat in the same boring meetings at Lowry.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-28-10 at 04:38 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Interesting - I was Admin Officer and later the commander of the 3428th Student Squadron - Special Instruments and Photography - 1962 - 1965 at Lowry!

Perhaps we knew each other?
    I doubt it. I was a student in the B-52 Bomb/Nav Radar School from Aug 1962 - May 1963.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. Yeah, I'm 53 and I remember that. Sadly, I don't think they make novelty records anymore.
    I also remember "They're coming to take me away, HA-HA".

But, sometimes good things happen. For example, my favorite root beer from my youth returned to the market last year. Folks, this is what a root beer should be. And.... Mint Julep Candies! Ummm, Ummm good!

Another training diet plan, shot to heck.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I always liked that song.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time I heard that song I was 12, it was on the Steve Allen show!!!!!
    Paul