User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GOBA report and pictures

The 22nd GOBA will go down in history as the hottest and the hilliest to date. The temperatures were in the high 80’s and low 90’s with high humidity. Scattered thunderstorms were predicted several days but we only saw one brief 10 minute shower…..rain would have been a welcome change from the blistering heat.

The ride was 7 days with two layover days and camping at fair grounds, colleges and schools. I chose not to ride on the layover days and ended the week with 235 miles and 12,854 feet of climbing for the five days I rode….that’s a lot of climbing for this flat-lander The Garmin registered double digits several times for the grade on those climbs. The down hills were fantastic and my computer says my max speed for the week was 36 mph. Several down hills were in shaded areas and some roads were rough so I certainly understand why my hands are sore from gripping the brakes.

Each day consisted of visiting small towns in the valleys and then climbing to the top of ridges to enter the next town in the next valley. Local organizations provided snack and lunch stops. These people do a fantastic job of making sure we’re well fed and entertained along the way. One of our lunch stops was in Beverly, Ohio and I stopped at the edge of town to get a picture and welcomed a few riders to “my town”.

I had to climb most of the hills in stages….climb until the left leg screamed for mercy, rest a couple minutes and start again. This became harder as the day progressed and the temperatures rose so a few hills were walked toward the end of the day. I had a lot of company on these walks. The third day was brutal…the temperature reached the mid 90’s and I sagged in after 41 miles and almost 3,600 feet of climbing. My leg threatened to fall off my body if I tried one more hill I counted 9 more hills as my bike and I rode the last 14 miles in the comfort of the air-conditioned SAG wagon.

I did a ride along the western Michigan shore a few years ago and thought the hills were bad but I honestly think Southeast Ohio has worse hills….maybe it’s just because I’m older. It was a great ride and I had a wonderful time but it will be a long time before I tackle another ride this hilly! There were a few people who just hung it up and went home after the first day.

Here’s pictures from the ride:
    http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...view=slideshow

or

http://tinyurl.com/2eq6o7t
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me homesick I grew up in Ohio near Mansfield so I can surely recognize some of that part of the state too
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad all is well and you guys had fun. I want to say "wish I had gone", but after the 95+ weather report and those hills...I'm happy that I didn't go.

Great pics, by the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like quite an experience. Great pictures. Congratulations on completing the ride. Thise rollers and hills can be challenging.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bev, you are one tough cookie! Good for you! The pictures are great, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite the heat, it looks like it was a grand time. Love the "Amish Lady on the ride photo"; so much for the debate about shorts or bibs!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you had a great week. Sorry you had the leg pain problems, but glad you were able to press on.
    The heat, the hills and the general vibe remind me a lot of BRAG. Sure would be nice to be able to do several of these types of rides all through the year.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. That looks like a great trip. If the temps had been a bit more comfortable I bet it would have been awesome. Not many recumbents on the trip?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Looks like you had a great week. Sorry you had the leg pain problems, but glad you were able to press on.
    Thankfully there is no pain associated with the leg problem. It's nerve damage from the back problems and the leg just gets weaker the longer I ride
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report and the photos were great too.
    Glad you had a good time even though the heat and hills got to you.
    A few of those roads did look rather rough.
    My brother keeps telling me I would like a trip like this sometime, if I keep looking at reports like this I may have to change my mind and do one.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos Beverly. In facts, you have a good eye for lining up a shot. You did a good job on the hills. It can be hard to get a sense of the incline in a photo and you captured it nicely.

Years ago whilst I lived in Michigan, I rode the western shoreline a time or three. I would think that southern Ohio would be more brutal. There would be more short, steep hills.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did Bike Virginia this last week, and saw lots of riders with past-year GOBA jerseys on. Hope they weren't expecting a break from all the hilly stuff
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures. Too bad there was so much traffic.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades