Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-10, 12:20 PM   #1
Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yesterday I , for the first time and after better than 30 years of putting money in, began the process of taking money out of my retirement fund. I appreciate that as I am mostly, and soon to be completely, retired that this is appropiate and planned. It is, however, disconcerting as it is a rite of passage that in someways is just as dramatic as puberty. I think I'll leave work now, go home, change and go for a ride or maybe I'll take a nap first.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 01:13 PM   #2
Time for a change.
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just leave work and celebrate. If that means going for a ride then do it- but like you- Just coming up for retirement--Can't wait but may have to due to the pension fund Taking a knock in the last couple of years.

And forget the nap--You will be too busy.
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 01:16 PM   #3
Allegheny Jet 
Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I know your pain. A couple years ago I realized that I was married longer than I wasn't, which was more eye opening than realizing that I was 20 yrs old and no longer had the excuse of being a teenager.
oldschool areodynamic brick
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 01:58 PM   #4
John E
feros ferio
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Three years ago I thought I was financially independent and therefore able to retire whenever work no longer entertained me. However, 18 months ago my employer shut down abruptly. My investment portfolio got a 25% haircut, from which it has largely recovered. However, when I look at today's investment returns, bond and savings interest rates, etc., I figure I need a bit more money before I can retire in a secure and comfortable fashion.

When I was out of work I found myself engaging in some rather severe belt-tightening, and since I am already a tight-fisted Yankee son of Scotland, I arguably overdid it. I concluded that I am not psychologically ready for retirement, and when a local company recently offered me a full-time position instead of the temporary or part-time contract work I was seeking, I said yes. I start a new chapter this Thursday, back with a full-time regular employment gig, after 18 months of being a self-employed consultant and contractor.
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote