Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The HTFU 50+ "Smiling While Bicycling" Training and Statistics Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 09:53 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

NOTE:

If you are humor impaired, this thread is not for you. I suggest you go to A&S, where there has been no humor for years.

This is the first post in the HTFU 50+ "Smiling While Bicycling" Training and Statistics Thread.

There are many items, concepts parameters and other important issues to be considered in developing training techniques and models, and statistical paradigms in regard to smiling while bicycling.

Firstly, "What is an HTFU" smile?

My definition is if you have a nightmare about training intervals, time trial times, chain stretch, hill percentages and the like, and your S/O yells at you about Honeydews, and you go to the garage and have two garage flats, and after getting that all fixed, and then go for a ride and SMILE at someone or yourself, you have just completed a HTFU smile.

(Got to go to the dentist. More later. Contributions solicited - perhaps a discussion of smiling interval training?)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-30-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-30-10, 12:11 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I had a moment like that last weekend. I was on the Grand Tour Double Century and after about 40 miles of warm-up along the Pacific Coast we headed inland to the first climb of the day, i.e. Potrero.

This is a brutal climb, many riders get off and walk, and it's mostly 12-14% with two "ramps" that hit 18-19%. In other words, a real HTFU climb for about a mile and a half (the brutal part, anyway).

However, I had fitted a new SRAM 32t rear cog and that plus my 34t chainring on the compact crank made the 18-19% bits not bad at all. So I was actually smiling climbing Potrero (note: has not happened before).

I used to hate Potrero, now I love Potrero!

Also used the 34 x 32 on Grimes Canyon, the Dennison Grade and Casidas Pass (later in the afternoon).

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-30-10, 03:55 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I am stupidly competitive at about everything. But I have learned to smile when I get dropped. There is a 5 mile stretch "everyone" in Henderson,NV rides along Horizon Ridge. You gain 1250 feet. (Gibson to Sloan Canyon) There are three chicks (Obrea Babe-oh my, best hammie's in Vegas!) and a handfull of CF boys who pass me by. I have been chugging that climb for nearly a year and my times are getting better. But I respect those riders, they are friendly and a couple, very strong.

I smile because they are hard working dedicated riders who put more than money into biking. I also smile when they see the grey in my beard and do a double take.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-30-10, 04:09 PM
Banned.

Thanks for the great input - wow!!

Time for STATISTICS

1. Counting smiles. Here is a mechanical counter which goes to 9,999, which should last some period of time.

and a wirelss counter which could transmit signals to a computer:

Or, one could use the basic counting method like hash marks:

Or, perhaps, you are just good at keeping figures in your head??

Next section - what IS a smile?
Old 06-30-10, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I think the rider bike interface is one of the variables that should be considered. Last week I smiled when I realized I had ridden three hours and not thought about my saddle, backside once. This week I smiled when I realized there was no pain in my shoulders and neck since I switched to a MM stem instead of the 100mm I had been using.

I also think there needs to be a visual appreciation element. Today, I looked down and saw the sun shining off my top tube and how the letters of the model name just seemed to fit; it just made me grin.

I've long thought the sound aspect should be included. Every time I become aware of or catch the high pitched hum of tires moving along at a brisk pace, I break out in an internal smile that says, life is good.

Finally, today I only got in ten miles, but I smiled as I pulled back into my driveway because I wasn't supposed to get a ride in today. My morning meeting ended early, and it gave me just enough time to change, ride, shower, and be ready for the afternoon meetings.
Old 06-30-10, 04:18 PM
Banned.

Just WHAT is a smile?

Some criteria to discuss:

1. Can one smile in their brain without smiling on their facce?

2. If face smiling is the criteria, how is that defined? Lips curled up at the sides? Mouth open or closed?

3. What about continuous smiling? Should that count for several smiles?

4. And, the most difficult - laughing?

5. What about a gas burp?

6. How fast can one smile? Does smile interval training increase the smile speed or endurance?

Any weighty thoughts on these items much appreciated.

Other things to consider - is there a smile graphing program on the internet, or should someone develop an Excel smile tracking sheet?

Heck, this measuring and tracking of bicycling events might even get fun!!
Old 06-30-10, 05:33 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Smile in the brain but not the face. I have teenagers in house. I have to choke back laughter and smiles in the midst of some of the stories.

Uncontrolled smiles are the best, not planning one, it just shows up and won't go away, those should count double.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-30-10, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yesterday in the am put 2nd coat of paint in spare bedroom, redid the window sill(again, don't know why i have trouble with that one part). Did this after washing two cars. Bite to eat and off for a short 2 hour ride. Was feeling good and smiling at everything or everyone. Went up to Santa Fe Dam, the wind was picking up as usual. Smiled again, thought how am i going to beat this headwind? Answer, attack it hard! Was blowing about 14 to 18 steady. Going down the ramps where the spillways are is about the only advantage against the wind. In the past tried coasting, then shifting up on the way down. I lose to much speed against the wind. This time sprint to the first down ramp, out of the saddle in the biggest gear and pedal hard all the way down the ramp. This worked. Kept my speed up better than before. After about 8 miles ran over a spike which i did not see and it went trough the side walls like a skewer. Called my wife to pick me up. As i was waiting saw two buzzards circling over the riverbed looking for dinner, a few minutes later a hawk joined in. I smiled again just watching them. Thinking where are all those squirrels now that run across the path just in front of me? Then a cat came over to see whats up, it got bored and left. Then my wife came, smiled, gave her a kiss, loaded up the bike went home for some enchiladas and rice with a ice cold beer. Smiles all around.
Old 06-30-10, 08:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
My smilometer pegs out whenever my granddaughters come over, either singly or as a matched set.

I know it's bragging, but I don't have much to cheer about when it comes to, you know, average speed.
Old 06-30-10, 08:41 PM

Bikes: 2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you win ^^^^^^
Old 06-30-10, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Kent Peterson, an amazing 50+ rider in the Seattle area, just attempted his second ride in the Great Divide Mountain Bike Race. He was riding a single speed MTB, and was attempting to match his earlier record of doing the 2,000+ mile ride in 19 days. He DNF'd a few days ago due to a mechanical problem, but sent in some amazing dispatches from the road.

Kent is the kind of guy who *rode* to the start of the race (Banff, Canada) from his house in the Seattle area. While riding to the finish, he wrote this:

"Some folks wonder what I think about when I'm riding my bike. I think about lots of things. I think about everything....How if you could choose your heaven it might look a lot like this road."

I loved that line: "How if you could choose your heaven, it might look a lot like this road."

More at his blog:

https://kentsbike.blogspot.com/
Old 07-01-10, 04:16 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
My smilometer pegs out whenever my granddaughters come over, either singly or as a matched set.
Cute kids! Well worth bragging about gramps!
Old 07-01-10, 06:01 AM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have introduced my cousin to serious riding this year and this thread makes me think of her! She had never ridden more than maybe 4 miles in a day and that on a dept. store mt bike. She got an entry level road bike back in March or April, signed up for RAGBRAI and has ridden nearly 600 miles so far since then. We did a 2 day, 130 mile ride in some tough hills and wind last weekend. I hardly ever saw her without a smile. I've helped create another addict and I'm not sure there is a 12 step program to help.