User Tag List

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diabetic riders..

I have been riding on and off for abot 20 years now and was diagnosed with diabetes about 7 years ago. I backed off and sold my bike in favor of a Wellness center membership with my wife (she is a life long diabetic ). Then came 4 way bypass surgery two years ago and I started using an insulin pump. Long story short the pump has given me much better control and we (the wife already used a pump) just bought new bikes and started doing miles near the house. I'm almost up to 10miles in the morning after work and plan on a few 20 - 30 milers on weekends. Just wondering how many others out there may be diabetic and riding.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bunch...
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can ask your question in most of the other forums and you'll get several replies.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to go check out the Team Type I web site and see what they have to say.

http://www.teamtype1.org/

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a Type II for about 17 yr. No meds. Lots of exercise. Last Ha1c was 5.7. I hope you continue with your bicycling. I can't tell you there is a silver bullet to make your diabetes go away, but I can let others know that it can be controlled with a modified lifestyle if the changes are made when diagnosed early.

For me bicycling is the best exercise. I enjoy it much more than gyms. I was never a proficient swimmer, and I dislike running.

dcf
    very senior member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have been type II for over 10 years... no insulin but take oral meds... riding makes a huge difference in my health... my hba1c has been below 6 for about 2 years... as far as distance, i do between 100 to 200 miles per week

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    It would be interesting to go check out the Team Type I web site and see what they have to say.

http://www.teamtype1.org/
    Thanks for the link, and its good to hear from you guys (and gals). I'm type 2 but fairly resistant to insulin. So the pump was the best way to go. I'm using about 20 units less every 3 days now and hope to bring it down further. Ride safe all..

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diagnosed Type II in summer of 2008...was told by my Dr. last November that he wanted me to start insulin since the oral meds weren't working as well as he hoped. I can deal with the finger sticks, but the thought of the insulin...

I bought a hybrid around Christmas, and set as my goal the Long Island Tour de Cure Century on June 12th. Along the way I put an old '88 Specialized Sequoia I used to ride back on the road and then cashed in a bunch of Delta Skymiles to get a Specialized Roubaix Elite. I crashed riding a flat one-way with-the-wind century in early May and had to stay off the bike for about 3 weeks, but dove back into and rode the TdC Century on June 12th. It was my first century in over 20 years...

I can definitely tell a difference in my blood sugars from riding, the doctor is happier, and I feel better. I've lost about 20 pounds with a bunch more to go. Now just to find a job

I'd heartily recomment checking out the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure website and see if there's a ride near you. If you raise the fundraising minimum you're eligible for a Red Rider jersey or t-shirt depending on what your local group does. A Red Rider is a cyclist with diabetes. You'll also have the satisfaction of riding to raise money for a cause that directly affects YOUR family as well as that of another estimated 24 million Americans. Another benefit is you'll be in touch with other diabetic riders, both Type I & II, who can help you with any issues you might have. One of the strongest riders I know is Type I and wears a pump. He's both an inspiration and huge source of annoyance cause I can't keep up with him.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Charles
    Captain, TEAM RED
    Last edited by chasmm; 07-01-10 at 01:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Make a donation or just check out my blog. Every little bit counts!
    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/charlesmmorgan

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Tour de Cure near us every year and that is the goal we have set for next year. We used to do the MS 150 with her working the stands and me riding, that was a blast. Good luck and maybe see you on the road one day.

My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a sweet pee too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gitarzan View Post
    I'm a sweet pee too.
    Hee...diabetes humor...

My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been taking insulin for over 55 yrs. I dont ride 2 days in succession because of massive delayed drop in blood sugar level in the 24 hrs after serious exercise. This didnt happen when I was young. I am also less sensitive to drop in blood sugar level. I set the alarm to wake in the middle of the night after riding to check the blood sugar. I ride 17 miles to work a couple of days a week if the weather is nice, and ride 50 or 60 miles with bike club on the weekend. I have my glucometer in a bento box on the front of the frame, so every 30 or 60 mins I can check without having to dismount.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife has same problem, and she may drop to 30 before it shows sometimes.
    Last edited by Jiffyjam; 07-02-10 at 11:31 PM.

chasing down blood sugars doctordan's Avatar
    My Bikes
    too numerous to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T1 diabetes since '63, pump since '97. I've used continuous sensors on and off since they hit the market 5 yr ago. I returned to the bike 7 yr ago to take off some weight and get my A1c down. it worked! turned into a bike junkie- mtn, road, cruiser, snow bike (Pugsley), and my wifes favorite the Burley Duet road tandem.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Type II that is pretty much controlled by oral meds. But in the summer (I live in the snow belt) my A1c goes down to almost normal. Biking is both fun and good for your health. Im 72 and fully believe in ride or rust.

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have type 1 and I also had Quadruple bypass in Dec. Last year I 3100 miles, so far I have put on 1850 miles. I too have a pump. I have joined tudiabetes.com They have a good cycling group there. I have learned a lot from the group. I also have changed my diet. I believed it has been helpful. It is a total vegan. My cholesterol total number was 100. My HDL was 51. Here is the diet. http://engine2diet.com/

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apesrunner58 View Post
    I have type 1 and I also had Quadruple bypass in Dec. Last year I 3100 miles, so far I have put on 1850 miles. I too have a pump. I have joined tudiabetes.com They have a good cycling group there. I have learned a lot from the group. I also have changed my diet. I believed it has been helpful. It is a total vegan. My cholesterol total number was 100. My HDL was 51. Here is the diet. http://engine2diet.com/
    The wife and I are heading in that direction. After recovering from the bypass I decided nothing was worth that much pain and discomfort again.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went in for my blood work this past week...doc called today with the results. Keep in mind that what got me off my ass and back on a bike last December was the threat of insulin (I'm type II) injections if I didn't do something to get this under control...

His message..."Your AIC is 5.8, which is excellent. That's almost like a non-diabetic level..."

I love my bike!

Charles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Im a Type I on an insulin pump. Ive been a Type I for about 42 years. My A1c ranges from 5.4 5.8. I go loaded with carbs when I ride the bike (Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod 1). I carry about 40 of the 4 gm carb tablets, and I wear a wrist bracelet with my name, condition, phone numbers, etc. And, most importantly, I carry a blood glucose meter (if I have any question, I stop and use the meter). I can get all of this equipment, along with my tire accessories, in a simple under the seat pouch. Just a word of advice to older Type Is: as you age it may become harder to feel the lowering of your blood sugar. I can generally feel it on hills when I need a burst of power. But, on those days when you miss (and I have), you can be in trouble very fast cell phones dont help in this condition. My area is heavy with bicyclists, and at least one headline a year describes a tragic roadside scene involving a Type I. Ive noticed that many of my Type II diabetic friends have relatively high A1c readings, and indeed they seem to have a much lower probability of very fast, sometimes un-recognized, blood sugar drops under heavy exercise. But, those of us that are Type I and tightly controlled have to be very careful. My advice is to ride with an overabundance of caution, but do ride. It is hilly in my area of NC and I ride between 20 45 miles, 4 times a week, at about 15 mph average. My best wishes to all of you.

My Bikes
    ItalVega Gran Turismo, Novaro Metro, Seven Alaris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm type II and bike riding helps me so much. I get to eat, no *have* to eat, lots more carbs when I'm riding. My A1c is about 5.2 thanks in part to riding 100+ mi./week. I just did my "ride your age in miles in a day" ride, 62 miles.
    I always test before I go out and carry dried fruit & nuts to nibble, along with a few gels, just in case. Be careful, but do ride, it's a great way to help control your diabetes and generally stay healthy.

My Bikes
    home built delta recumbents
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Type II, diagnosed in 1983. I've been on insulin since around 1987 or '88 and I find it funny that people are so scared of needles. Unfortunately, being a Vietnam veteran with multiple tours and some heavy exposure to Agent Orange doesn't help. I also have Meniere's disase, Giant Cell Temporal Arteritis, heart disease (1 heart attack), degenerative osteo necrosis, osteo arthritis and severe bilateral peripheral neuropathy. I rode extensively when I was a teenager and had a suburban/rural paper route that really built up my leg muscles but pretty much gave up cycling when I returned home from the military. I had a mostly sedentary job as a software consultant until I retired in 1999 at the age of 51. Since then, my physical abilities have been greatly compromised. Then about two and a half years ago, one of my brothers was talking about building a recumbent trike. I didn't even know what that was, so after several months of online research, I decided to try my hand at it. I've always loved metal working as a hobby and have a blacksmith shop, machine shop and several welding rigs. Two years ago, with a teenage grandson, I built my first delta trike and LOVED IT. I cannot ride much because of my illnesses (spent three of the last seven days in bed!) but now I'm working on my second (and better) trike. I hope to have it ready in another month or two and look forward to riding again. The first trike was too heavy but this one will be quite a bit lighter. I'll have some pics and an article on the build in the near future. I was told last week that I need a knee replacement but because of all the other maladies, don't look forward to any more surgery (I've had 7 for various reasons already). I opted for a cortisone shot instead and that took away the pain but it didn't help with my inability to flex my left knee. Never the less, I'm determined to get back to riding, one way or another! I'm now 62 and figure that despite having a 100% disability rating (from the VA), I'm too young to quit!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, you're a mile away ... and you have their shoes.