Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry Classic for 50-Plusser?

Hi, I'm looking at buying a late 90s/early 2ks Terry Classic for Mrs. Road Fan. It's red, has full 105, Columbus Brain tubing (not sure if its OS or not), drop bars, both wheels 700c, and her size.

Anyone have experience with these bikes, or maybe an old catalog talking about the drop-bar version? She's seeking a supple steel ride, better than her other bikes, which are aluminum.

Not really looking for discussion of alternatives - she really wants a steel Terry, and we really just want input on this model and its ride quality.

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always thought of Terry as helping bring more ladies into "real" riding but have no practical experience. The specs you mention sound good. Is it similar to this?

If she's ridden it and likes it and it's priced right for it's age and condition get it for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be purchased from Alabama and shipped to us in Michigan, so no test rides. Price is, IMO, right, $400 plus shipping.

The parts and geo are similar to that Symmetry, perhaps longer chainstays and definitely lower BB.

Any experience with that Symmetry, Ahsposo?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, I've no personal experience with the bikes just remember some good reviews in the sport magazines.

Yeah, I'd agree that the price is right. If something about the fit isn't right you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back out of it.

Did you visit Sheldon's Terry History page?

My Bikes
    84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 86 Centurion Ironman, 88 Centurion Prestige
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Centurion made a similar female frame, late 80s, and they often show up on eBay and rarely bring much, even nice ones. They also have full 105 groups and use the same 24 inch front wheel, Tange 1 tubing.
    Steel is Real

I was once told that only _ussies needed lower than 42/21 gearing.

Steel Bike Club Member 212

Pinarello Trevisio, Guerciotti SLX, Centurion Ironman Expert, Centurion Prestige, Surly Cross Check, 96 aluminum Stumpjumper and some other stuff

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    No, I've no personal experience with the bikes just remember some good reviews in the sport magazines.

Yeah, I'd agree that the price is right. If something about the fit isn't right you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back out of it.

Did you visit Sheldon's Terry History page?
    Yes, but the Classic is not well-covered there. It seems to have been different over different model years.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
    Centurion made a similar female frame, late 80s, and they often show up on eBay and rarely bring much, even nice ones. They also have full 105 groups and use the same 24 inch front wheel, Tange 1 tubing.
    Were there any Centurion female frames that were 700/700? She's tall enough that in Terry frames she'd get a 700/700.

What were they called?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found This forum on Terry Bikes.

Seems the Classic and the Madeline are similar geometry the Madeline is AL the Classic steel.