User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Metric Century

Today I completed my first metric century. Actually, a little bit more than that, 65.6 miles. Also posted a new max speed. Had a flat on the way home but was prepared with a new tube replacement. On the way up (to Brunswick, Maine) I passed two women within 10 minutes of each other, who also were victims of flats. They had made the calls to their husbands who were to pick them up. Route on back roads was a bit hillier than I would have liked. Also, the wind started out Northwest and was Southwest on the way home so I did not get any help from that quarter.

Does not seem like such a far leap now to ride my age (75).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sculptor7; 07-04-10 at 07:44 AM.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    On the way up (to Brunswick, Maine) I passed two women within 10 minutes of each other, who also were victims of flats. They had made the calls to their husbands who were to pick them up.
    It's OK to stand on the side of the road and not do nor enjoy any wrenching.

tcs
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!, Nice effort.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most excellent. Got metric #3 under my bibs today. An imperial century soon, maybe....

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job! Have done a couple of metrics this spring - don't know if this is the year for a Real Century.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good riding, keep it up. Hope you can do the 75 soon and 76 on your birthday. I have done 3 metrics this year, one on my 65th birthday. Ramping up my miles to prepare for my first century, which i hope to do in the Fall. Don't you just love the wind. I started last year after a long lay off, surprised that this is more fun than i thought. Ride safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have done it all wrong. First century and you are supposed to run out of water- Not taken enough food and although the legs may have got you up the 3 mile at an average of 12% that you were forced to ride due to the planned route being closed- the butt should have been screaming by the 30 mile mark and you finish the ride standing up. Then on top of that- Only one flat as your mechanical. This is when you would have have found out that although you have presta valves fitted to your presta rims- the replacement tibe was a schraeder fitting so you would have had to repair the puncture- only to find out that the glue has gone solid.

Too much preparation.

Well done.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job! I hate flats, hopefully after three rears recently I can avoid them Sunday as I go on an planned 80 miler that may turn into a century. (deep down it is a semi planned century)

If you felt not too bad after this I see no reason why the Birthday ride should be a problem.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nicely done. I would think a Lobster dinner is in order for celebration topped off with blueberry pie.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. It's nice to have completed the first of my goals for this year.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that it went so well and you managed to avoid a gruesome metric like the kind stepfam mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good On You!
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.