User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Qualify for Club Tombay?

After reading BengeBoy's account I figued a new thread rather than hijacking his to ask if this qualifies or not would be proper...

While on a popular after dark ride in Houston (Moonlight Ramble) I crashed, big time. Problem started when I decided to take my old Raleigh wasn't vintage when I bought it Record Ace. It's the only bike I have with toe clips and I hadn't ridden it for awhile prior to the Ramble.

Five miles from the finish, generator lamp adding a light hue to the blackness I fell into a crack in the asphalt. Automatically I tried to clip out, which only tightens a clip on and down I tumbled attched to 30ish lbs. of British steel. I seriously broke my right collarbone, cracked three ribs, reinjured my left knee and cracked a bone in my left ankle. I also cracked another helmet, but that's another story.

I rode the five miles to my truck, unceremoniously threw the Raleigh into my pickup bed, drove home to have my older daughter drive me to the hospital.

Most of the bike was fine as I had broken it's fall with only a bent fender, rear rack and a couple of scratches here and there.

Is this a aualifying toe clip crash or simply a clipless pedal inspired crash?

Brad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same basic thing last week. Stopped at a light waiting for it to change to green. I thought it would change in a few seconds so didn't slip out of the clip style pedals. After so long in the barely moving mode I unceremoniously fell over on my right side. I would call it a Tombay even if I only bruised my pride. I'm just glad I did a couple hours overtime. My work buddies would have been there to see the crash. It is about a quarter mile from work. I hope your injuries heal quickly BradTX. Blues Frog

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh! That hurts me just to think of it. Sounds like a lot of cracked and broken bones. I hope that you're back in the saddle soon.

On the light side, while not a classic Tombay, I'm going to support your application because the ultimate cause was failure to remove your foot from the pedal. This application could have been made stronger by mentioning the gender and pulchritudinous factors of any witnesses.

My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's your card...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing is that it's a humerous moment now. Yes there were witnesses and none stopped...a real WTF moment.

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i ever ride at night it will be with about 3 or 4 led lights along with the one on my forehead. Sounds like serious injuries to me, hope you mend soon.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LAriverRat, My favorite night ride is my MTB with a pair of halogen headlamps mounted on the handlebars. Works very well. The generator lamp is a halogen also, but lighting is dependant on speed and at 10 MPH or less should be considered a mood lamp.

Brad

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    Best thing is that it's a humerous moment now. Yes there were witnesses and none stopped...a real WTF moment.

Brad
    Yeah, that can be amazing. Once I was hit by a car that was turning right on a red light. I remember lying on my back in the middle of this two lane one way street and people driving their cars around me. If anybody witnessed it they drove away. The pimp that hit me stood over me cursing me and accusing me of deliberately trying to cause his auto insurance rates to rise. He ran off when I retrieved my cell phone from my bike's stem and called 911 leaving his two employees to deal with the police. Finally a concerned citizen stopped to try to help but he was no good as a witness so it ended up being my word against the "ladies" who said I ran a red light. The police treated me like a criminal. Wanted proof that I owned the bike.

I hope you heal soon. Those injuries are no fun at all. At least it's summertime and most of the pollen is past. Sneezing with broken ribs is one the most intense pains I have experienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.