User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long term bicycling friendships

Mrs. Grouch and I just returned from having dinner with two other couples. We have dinner together almost every Friday night.

During dinner we got to talking about how we met. One couple we met on a group bicycle ride. While Mrs. Grouch was in the ladies room I saw another couple on a tandem begin the ride. In those days tandems were pretty rare so, as soon as she came out of the ladies room, Mrs. Grouch and I began to chase. About 5 miles later (with the help of a train blocking the road) we caught up with them. After a bit we stopped in the shade of a tree and must have talked for over an hour about our tandems and our kids etc. That was roughly 30 years ago this month.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to my 50th high school reunion. Most of those people I knew for only 4 years. 30 year friendships don't happen very often. When they do I think that it's really neat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed it is very neat.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still friends with couples we rode with over 3 decades ago . . .
    Must be something in those water bottles maybe???

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still friends with a few folks I rode with back when I lived/grew up in St. Louis. One of whom (Richard Cranium - not his real name, but his bikeforums.net name) I'm still in contact with and another 3 are "friends" on facebook, and still in touch with the bike shop owner where I went to college (Cape Girardeau, MO).

Plus I met my first wife on a bike ride in '71 and I'm still in touch with her via email and facebook, so I guess that counts! My present wife I met through the bike club here in California (Orange County Rebel Riders).

That was actually essential for me, i.e. to marry someone who loves to ride bicycles as much as I do.

Rick / OCRR