Thread: Tinkering

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tinkering

It seems I am always tinkering with my bicycles. No, I am not a mechanic and do not have the ability to be a mechanic, but I do work -- or tinker -- on my bikes. I can change a cassette, clean a chain, change tires, clean the bike, adjust this or that.

What I have noticed is that the more expensive my bikes have become it seems they need more tinkering. Basically what this means is that a more finely tuned bike requires more maintenance than a "workhorse" type bike.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I do that too.

Yesterday's tweak involved a folding handlebar riser for my recumbent. It had a set screw to adjust it's angle. Unfortunately, I'd start off on a ride just fine, but the angle would change as I was riding and I'd eventually hit my knees on my thumbs or on the shifters. My solution was to install a lock nut on the adjusting screw. I rode 38 miles today and it worked fine.

My next project is finding a way to conveniently hold my camelback mouthpiece.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    It seems I am always tinkering with my bicycles. No, I am not a mechanic and do not have the ability to be a mechanic, but I do work -- or tinker -- on my bikes. I can change a cassette, clean a chain, change tires, clean the bike, adjust this or that.

What I have noticed is that the more expensive my bikes have become it seems they need more tinkering. Basically what this means is that a more finely tuned bike requires more maintenance than a "workhorse" type bike.
    You are indeed a mechanic - a home mechanic. Or, a tinkering mechanic, maybe.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrench and I tinker and I "improve" and I don't care who knows it!

I don't know if I completely buy the expense ----> increased adjustment correlation you describe. Is it possible you just pay more attention to your expensive bikes?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I wrench and I tinker and I "improve" and I don't care who knows it!

I don't know if I completely buy the expense ----> increased adjustment correlation you describe. Is it possible you just pay more attention to your expensive bikes?
    The only repair/maintenance I do not do on my bike is retrueing the wheels. I will take the slight wobbles out but they go into the LBS to get the experts to De- tension the spokes and retrue on a regular basis.

On the expensive bikes needing more maintanance- Mine do but that is because they get more use than the Cheapo's.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    adjust this or that.
    I tried adjusting this or that but that just made the other thing worse!

Actually - other than more frequent cleanings I find my more expensive bikes need very little attention.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BA, It's also one of the few mechanical tasks that can be done in the comfort of the living room! :thumb

Brad

My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I pay attention to my chain and tires, check the true of my wheels very often and will wash the bike occasionally. I don't find the need to "touch up" the adjustments to my Campy transmission or brakes except at major overhaul time which for me will occur every two or three years at around 10, 000 miles. My bikes never see the inside of the LBS except in the case of a crash where the derailleur hanger was bent or some other unusual situation. I may change my BB next year and go to the EXO type and I'll probably get a LBS to do that.

I like being able to work on my own and my family and friends bikes but don't like constant problems that affect the performance of my bike. This is one reason I'll probably never go back to tubulars. They are a very high maintenance way to roll IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.