Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Share Your Progress - No Matter the Amount

As an anniversary activity rode with the wife today. For having major surgery just 9 days ago she did remarkably well. I am proud of her.

After we rode I wen a bit further and noticed I have improved. Last year at this time, I was in the doldrums with a lot of pain, diagnoses of this and that, seeing neurosurgeons and physiatrists (no, NOT a psychiatrist), physical therapists and the like.

Today, I was able to accelerate on hills, was going 18 mph up where I normally go 14-16 mph, came back at 22 -25 mph where I normally don't exceed 20, passing folks right and left (well, mostly on the left) and I can feel the power in my legs improving.

Yes, I can still have horrible leg pains, but if I do enough of the PT exercises, stretching, etc., it helps a lot, and I am not incapacitated as I felt last year. Even over 70, one can improve. Also, I have lost about 10 pounds, which helps immensely.

How about you - measurable progress? - and you don't need to have statistics (but they are OK) to know you are making progress.

Share with us!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-03-10 at 10:39 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, Denver.

I'm six pound lighter and have seven hundred more miles in this year than I did last year at this time.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to the end of the winter- I have come on well. This is the first winter where I have not been able to get out and do decent milage every week. Weather was the main cause but being a wimp was the other. I just did not fancy getting out in the rain and a temp that was hovering around Freezing. But winter came to an end and milage gradually came up- then a couple of exerting rides that hurt and then the longer rides at pace that left me thinking I could have done a few more miles.

And lost about 5lbs- just another few to get down to a decent size to fit into the Tight trousers. They weren't last year but they are now.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver,

Is this a performance oriented thread or a smiles/miles thread - or dare I say it - both!

Great fun - good to hear thigs are turning around for the better.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My smiles per mile went way up today!! There you have it - empirical evidence.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my progress must be measured in smiles. My son's college room-mate called and asked if I would ride with him today. We had fun, I held my own and he was sweating much more than I was. I asked my son why he thought his room-mate would want to ride with me. My son answered, "Because he thinks you're awesome!" I think he's awesome , too!

My Bikes
    cervelo RS, GT avalanche
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been riding about 250 miles per month now the last six months and it wasnt until about the last 2 months ago that i'm noticing some good results. Lost about 15 lbs, and can tell the difference on the small hills that i can now accelerate up instead of slowing down and also pull bigger gears than before.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been getting back in the saddle and it is getting comfortable. I was peddling up the mountain (3,000 feet up a gravel road) but decide I would perfer to ride through the plantation. Harder to do, and more fun. Was building some trails today, and then road for about 30 minutes - hard minutes. I was definitely shot by the end. In the last 5 weeks I have been dropping 2 lbs - now I am under 220 again - just need another 10 weeks to be back in a pretty decent range. (I am 6' 2" and bigger than average)

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I am not incapacitated as I felt last year. Even over 70, one can improve. Also, I have lost about 10 pounds, which helps immensely.
    Glad to hear it. You're an inspiration.

Due to global warming, I was able to start riding about 6 weeks earlier than last year. I'm about 760 miles ahead of last year and faster. I'm doing better on group rides too-- usually riding with guys in their 20s & 30s. That feels good.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since you asked: I "turned 40" again recently! Much to my delight the size 44 dress pants I used to wear are now much to big in the waist and my old 40s from storage are a good loose fit! Next stop... where are my old 38s?

Oh I think I am riding better, but with wind and temps and so forth that is harder to measure. But the pants just do not lie!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this opportunity at celebrating our life's little victories! That warm spell early on in the year started me commuting earlier than usual, and the toning of my quads had really quieted my knee issues. There are days when I am beginning to feel the burn, even with my humble distance, and when you're dealing with multiple infirmaties, having that experience of returning strength is powerful medicine indeed. Glad to hear of your regaining of your strength. Cheers!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the inspiration. I have another 9 years before I hit 70. I hope AI can ride as well as you when I achieve that milestone.

I hope your health concerns diminish and your wife's recovery is complete.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been suffering from a skin condition for about 5 years that makes sweating unbearable,intense itching and rash.Gained a bunch of weight and am soft as a marshmallow. Been using a relatively drug free treatment for a year and it's finally begun to work. I can sweat like a crackhead in a squadcar again. Started riding a couple weeks ago. Way outta shape but I've noticed some small improvements and look forward to my daily rides. Only a few miles now but time will fix that. My grand nephew (izzat a word?) rides with me now as they live on the same road I do. His parents are slackers and the poor kid has only been able to ride around in little circles in front of the house. He is thrilled to be able to ride a couple miles. As am I.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weighed 213 pounds last April, bp creeping up, bad left knee. Doc said i had to lose some weight, bring bp down to get ready for surgery in June. Could not get to the end of the block without my legs hurting and out of breath. I weigh 187 today, bp 118/74, HR of mid 40s after two days off of riding, usually 52 to 55 during the day. Rode 792 miles last month. My bad left knee is no longer bad, circulation in my feet has improved, sleep all through the night now, and have more energy. 65 years old.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
    Weighed 213 pounds last April, bp creeping up, bad left knee. Doc said i had to lose some weight, bring bp down to get ready for surgery in June. Could not get to the end of the block without my legs hurting and out of breath. I weigh 187 today, bp 118/74, HR of mid 40s after two days off of riding, usually 52 to 55 during the day. Rode 792 miles last month. My bad left knee is no longer bad, circulation in my feet has improved, sleep all through the night now, and have more energy. 65 years old.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter the amount? How about no matter the amount of time?

In 4th grade, I had to start walking or riding my bike to school. It was one mile, nearly to the foot. Paddy Hill Elementary School is at the top of Paddy Hill. It's how I learned to hate climbs. That hill was my nemesis for three years until junior high.

My dad had bought me a new bike for going to school, a jet-black Schwinn with 24" wheels, hand brakes, a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hub, and paperboy baskets on the back. Really nice rig. But I've always been slight of build and back then, that was too much bike and not enough boy. No wonder hills gave me problems.

Cruising thorough the old neighborhood today, everything was wrong. I've still not recovered fully from the flu a couple of weeks ago, I barely slept at all last night, I skipped breakfast, and I left the house too dry, blowing through my water budget on the "out", with nothing left for the "and back". (Yes, I did stop at a Mobil, much as it pains me to buy water.)

And yet, I spun up Paddy Hill easily in the 39/17, cadence in the 90s, heart rate barely into Zone 3.

Given the disastrous intervening 43 years, I'm pretty happy with that.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a metric century two days ago and still have no idea what my average speed was. I also didn't feel like death warmed over the next day. Unusual for me. Must have been the recovery drink.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I did a metric century two days ago and still have no idea what my average speed was. I also didn't feel like death warmed over the next day. Unusual for me. Must have been the recovery drink.
    Or the dope.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all of you that have lost weight.... I have it (gained about 20 pounds) but I am feeling stronger than I did last year @ 195lbs. Perhaps it's a good thing.
    SloSpoke Jim

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank for this opportunity. It's been a great year since mid 09. I lost 35 lbs, and kept it off. I've moved up from struggling to ride with the 18MPH B groups to doing pulls with the 19MPH B+ groups. I'm still not an "A" class rider, but I tried it twice and lasted 9 miles and did a full turn at pull.
    The CF bike has been upgraded with a set of Ksyrium Elite wheels. I added a vintage 98 Lemond Maillot Juane to the stable and an 01 Bianchi Campione.
    I just acquired a 92 Paramount. I'm deciding now how to upgrade it.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gained 5 lbs in the past month, although I have been pumping iron more, so I think it muscle (I hope). I also notice a lower HR on my rides for the same distance and a higher VO2 Max.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much to report here. I can still dodge urban traffic whether loaded down with several gallons of paint and painting supplies, or a full load of groceries.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total miles are 25% less this year. However, I'm riding faster and taking on hilly Century rides on a regular basis. I'm about 1800 miles YTD and expecting to cover 4000 miles this year. I'm able to cover 19 miles in one hour as a solo rider with consistency. I recently covered 90 miles in 5 hours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    I added a vintage 98 Lemond Maillot Juane to the stable and

So, does my regular ride - a 1998 Lemond BA - also count as "vintage?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No progress, but I finally got my recumbent so it's comfortable to ride.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast