Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-03-10, 12:43 PM   #1
Long Run Nick
Long Run Nick

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back on bike 2 months:1,500+ mi/no bike in 12 yrs prior. 67 in 2 months. Bragging!!

As a result of severe AT--I had to stop running my normal 50 miles per week. (Have run over 71,000 miles over the last 34 yrs). Took up the bike after 12 yrs of no--zero riding. Trek FX 7.3 purchased on 5/5/10. No running for 6 weeks: AT feels "healed". Foolishly, I kept running after I got the bike the AT just got worse. Go figure. Actually, first injury since 1997--PF--last time I rode a bike. Just started back with a few 10 min jogs + walking. I feel a lot stronger after getting in bike shape. I plan to cut back on my "normal "50 miles per week running( thinking around 35 per week) and stay on the bike for at least 100 mi. a week. I am very greatful that I can do what I do. I truly believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Stay in motion. Nick
Long Run Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 12:51 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to run seriously but eventually it got through to the knees and I had to stop running. 10 years later and I took up cycling. I could at long last do a severe physical sport to keep in shape that did not affect the knees. 20 years later and I am still cycling. I don't even run for a bus nowadays as that would put me off work for a week. The knees are still bad but cycling keeps the legs in trim and me fit.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 03:02 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Good for you. If you can't run any more . . .

I have been advised not to run due to back problems - although I never was a "runner."

So, I bicycle about 125 miles per week. Swim several hours per week. Lift weights and other resistance exercises. Stretch.

I am 70.5 yo.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 05:35 PM   #4
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Good for you. If you can't run any more . . .
I have a knee replacement and am not supposed to run as it could damage the prosthetic. Cycling and swimming are the only types of aerobic exercise I'm supposed to do. I wish I had started cycling 10 years ago after I had the TKR.

I'm only 57.
ZmanKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 08:59 AM   #5
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Thanks to a college football injury my right ankle is not fit for running. But cycling is just fine. BTW, you should be bragging. Good stuff. Congratulations.
bruce19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 09:11 AM   #6
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Run Nick View Post
stay on the bike for at least 100 mi. a week. I am very greatful that I can do what I do. I truly believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Stay in motion. Nick
You did 750 miles per month for 2 months and now you're going to cut that in half? That running crap is no good for you - chuck those sneakers and stay on the bike.
longbeachgary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 09:23 AM   #7
dynodonn 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Congrats on your numbers, though over time, I've learned that moderation usually works best, and that my body rebels a whole lot less. Plus, I've more time and energy for other activities I like/need to do.
dynodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 02:22 PM   #8
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
I have a bad back, and the doc said no more running, but that I need to walk regularly to keep weight on the bones so they will build up. I try and walk 5-8 miles a couple of times a week then ride 30-40+ miles a few times a week.

If you're riding 750 a month, and it's all downhill, it don't count! (LOL)
Congrats.
HIPCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote