User Tag List

Long Run Nick
    My Bikes
    Trek FX 7.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on bike 2 months:1,500+ mi/no bike in 12 yrs prior. 67 in 2 months. Bragging!!

As a result of severe AT--I had to stop running my normal 50 miles per week. (Have run over 71,000 miles over the last 34 yrs). Took up the bike after 12 yrs of no--zero riding. Trek FX 7.3 purchased on 5/5/10. No running for 6 weeks: AT feels "healed". Foolishly, I kept running after I got the bike the AT just got worse. Go figure. Actually, first injury since 1997--PF--last time I rode a bike. Just started back with a few 10 min jogs + walking. I feel a lot stronger after getting in bike shape. I plan to cut back on my "normal "50 miles per week running( thinking around 35 per week) and stay on the bike for at least 100 mi. a week. I am very greatful that I can do what I do. I truly believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Stay in motion. Nick

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to run seriously but eventually it got through to the knees and I had to stop running. 10 years later and I took up cycling. I could at long last do a severe physical sport to keep in shape that did not affect the knees. 20 years later and I am still cycling. I don't even run for a bus nowadays as that would put me off work for a week. The knees are still bad but cycling keeps the legs in trim and me fit.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you. If you can't run any more . . .

I have been advised not to run due to back problems - although I never was a "runner."

So, I bicycle about 125 miles per week. Swim several hours per week. Lift weights and other resistance exercises. Stretch.

I am 70.5 yo.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2008 Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Good for you. If you can't run any more . . .
    I have a knee replacement and am not supposed to run as it could damage the prosthetic. Cycling and swimming are the only types of aerobic exercise I'm supposed to do. I wish I had started cycling 10 years ago after I had the TKR.

I'm only 57.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to a college football injury my right ankle is not fit for running. But cycling is just fine. BTW, you should be bragging. Good stuff. Congratulations.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Run Nick View Post
    stay on the bike for at least 100 mi. a week. I am very greatful that I can do what I do. I truly believe a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Stay in motion. Nick
    You did 750 miles per month for 2 months and now you're going to cut that in half? That running crap is no good for you - chuck those sneakers and stay on the bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your numbers, though over time, I've learned that moderation usually works best, and that my body rebels a whole lot less. Plus, I've more time and energy for other activities I like/need to do.

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bad back, and the doc said no more running, but that I need to walk regularly to keep weight on the bones so they will build up. I try and walk 5-8 miles a couple of times a week then ride 30-40+ miles a few times a week.

If you're riding 750 a month, and it's all downhill, it don't count! (LOL)
    Congrats.