Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Solo metric

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solo metric

It was predicted to be a beautiful day today, so I got up early to go for a ride. I decided to have some eggs and grits for breakfast and made enough for the wife and kid. By the time I ate and had a couple of cups of coffee while checking the web, time was starting to slip away. But it was supposed to be cooler today, so I spent a lazy morning with the family. I finally got motivated and hit the road at 11am. That would have been a prescription for heatstroke most days lately, but today it was about 10 degrees cooler than the recent norm, ranging from lower to upper 80s during my ride.

I chose a 63 mile route on roads I've ridden a good bit, but in a new combination. Butternut, my Salsa Casseroll is the bike I usually take for longer rides, and today was no exception. Mostly the route was a combination of parts from the century and metric routes I had used for my clubs April Fools ride three months ago. Within a few miles from home I hit the beginning of what had been a rough 6.5 mile section on the century route. The first 2,5 miles of shake and bake (some of you call it chipseal) was not the really rough kind, but there were several bad sections that were semi patched with asphalt.

But then came what had been a terrible 4 miles of awful rough shake and bake full of potholes and cracks. I was happy to see that it has recently been repaved with asphalt as smooth as a baby's bottom. Next year's century riders will be happy to see that.

After a few more miles on another smooth road, I stopped for water and part of a Clif bar at a convenience store in Haddock. A few more miles and I turned onto a road I have been riding a lot lately, a long stretch of nice pavement with easy rollers and a few hard hills. A young deer nervously scurried across the road in a curve on that road.

Soon I came into downtown Milledgeville, where I stopped at the LBS for some fresh water and finished my Clif bar while talking to the shop guy and a couple of friends who were having some work done on their bikes. I was about 40 miles into the ride and it was getting warmer, so I quickly got back on the bike and headed on my roundabout way home.

I noticed a Bison in a field where there are usually only horses.

Although not as hot as it has been lately, it was hot enough that I slowed down a good bit in the late part of the ride just to enjoy the ride and not hurt myself. I got home with 63 miles ridden and feeling fine. After a quick shower and some leftovers, I popped the cap off a bottle of Ranger IPA and settled into my recliner to watch the Tour de France prologue. Not a bad day.

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...15520186/show/
    Garmin data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39080556
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent!

Thanks for sharing. So, do they raise Bison around there? We have a herd in the foothills, and a restaurant - the Fort - specializes in Bison dished.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there are several farms around Georgia that raise Bison. I have read that this was part of their natural range long ago.

My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice break in the heat! I had a nice ride yesterday from around 4PM to a little before 6 that would have been a death march last week. 74F felt chilly this AM.

Let's enjoy it while it lasts!

Have a safe and Happy Fourth.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a rewarding ride. You're livin' it, BluesDawg!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the ride.

What kind of tires do you have on your Casseroll? How do they handle the chipseal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your ride, BD. We're getting some long overdue re-paving work done around here as well. I love to hear my tires "sing" on that stuff.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post, thanks for sharing.
    That repaved road looks so inviting! I love em.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures with no cars. Looks like a beautiful day.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Thanks for posting the ride.

What kind of tires do you have on your Casseroll? How do they handle the chipseal?
    Panaracer Pasela TG 28mm. I guess they do fine. I've used them for several years on various bikes on all kinds of pavement and an occasional dirt road ride. I have very rarely had a flat. Being able to run lower pressure than with the 23mm tires on my other bike does help make for a smoother ride over the bumpy stuff.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice ride and thanks for the recap and the photos.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The roads are still recovering from the winter freeze that we had although the potholes have mostly gone. Our problem is that Only the bad sections have been re-paved so you get 1/2 mile of smooth new Asphalt and then you are back onto the patched roads for a few miles.

But looks as though you Found some UK backroads. Not much traffic- if Any- and plenty to view on the ride.

Nice ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan