Thread: TRex Ride

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TRex Ride

My local bike club will do their annual Teddy Roosevelt ride in mid July - a favorite. I am busy that weekend so I decided to go on my own. This is a tough ride with a group let alone solo. Note - the total lack of flat terrain - as with most rides in the Adirondacks you either are going up or down.

The ride starts out in the small down of North Creek
    A quite little town that is really only known for two things:
    1) One of the earliest ski destinations in the NE
    2) The place where Teddy Roosevelt took the oath of office.

Here is a photo of the mountain I spend my winters on - a really great place to ski with many hidden treasures.

The ride is 80 miles long with 6000' of climbing. Luckily you get a few miles of warm up before the really long climb. I did not get going until about 3 hrs after my planned start so the day was getting quite hot. I filled the big water bottles (one with Nuun and the other with weak gatoraide), two high calorie protein bars and a flask of Hammer gel, some Nuun tabs and gatoraide powder and off I went.

In North Creek is the old train station where our hero took the oath and boarded the train for Buffalo. The only train that runs on these tracks now is a scenic railroad but they are repairing the tracks all the way to Saratoga NY - they want to get the ski trains running again. This will allow a passengers from NYC to travel all the way to North Creek as they did in the 1930's.

The first few miles - before the big climb up River Hill you travel right beside the Hudson river to the little town (just a few stores) called North River. This is where the river takes a turn up the the gorge and we take a turn up River Hill. North River is mostly home to rafting companies, they load them up in old school buses and take them up river - not done it yet but is on my list for this Aug.

Here as we are at the base of the hill, you can see the river turn to the right and you can see to the left the road starts the climb a fairly steady 8 to 9%.

Continued...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we get very near the top of River Hill we come across "The big chair". This is about 15' high and is my mark to know when it's just about over, just one more little rise and we are up on the plateau.

Once we are at teh very top we get to see out over the Western Adirondacks - This is where we are headed.

Next stop - Indian Lake

The town of Indian Lake is just a few shops but there is a Stewarts store - a good place for refills - although I was not ready for any at this time. The club will regroup here after the big climb and the first set of rollers.

As we go another 15 miles passing little lakes and rivers and just before we get to Blue Mountain Lake we pass Durante lake

Then it's on to Blue Mountain Lake and a much needed rest (we are about 28 miles into the ride now and just before the steep climb up the shoulder of Blue Mountain.

Once we get over Blue Mountain it is a nice quiet ride over to the town of Long Lake, this is a deserted stretch of road - some traffic but no houses, stores or any thing else.
    Here is Long Lake itself.

Continued...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once in Long Lake we take a break and have some lunch at Stewarts. Stewarts is probably the best chain of shops I have ever found, they are everywhere in this part of the country and they do a great job. I buy a gallon of water (it's cheaper than a 16oz bottle) refill both big water bottles and dring about a quart with my ham and cheese sandwich.

Long Lake marks the half way point in the ride. The next stretch is to a little town called Newcomb. The road crosses now what is left of the Hudson to where it has it's origan at the base of Mt Marcy.

We take another stop here as it is getting hot, refill one bottle and look at the high peaks

The big peak here I believe is Mt. Marcy - they highest peak in NYS

Now back to our hero - when McKinley was shot TRex was climbing Marcy - as he liked to do quite often. They sent runners up to get him and had riders to take him back from teh Tahawus club to North Creek, they would have come down this road.

A few miles further and hidden behind some trees is an old plaque put up in the early 1900's recognizing the team of riders who brought him to North Creek, some of the families I know.

Once beyond this point we have one more climb to go - then a screaming downhill. It was repaved 2 years ago and that year I hit close to 50mph, this time it was only about 45.
    With the wind at our back we roll into the little town of Minerva past the only little store. I take a break under a shade tree. While I am resting another friend who lives beside the store stops by and asks if I need anything. I have one bottle left for the last 15 miles so I am OK. He and his wife were doing a loop on one of the lakes south of here, his wife is training for a triathlon.

By this time I am pretty beat - the ride solo, with the heat and a strong head wind at the start really drained me - so no more pics. But I can say that this last part of the ride from Minerva back to North Creek is my favorite - a nice slight downhill with the rollers short enough you can power over the tops. It's easy to keep it at 20+ through the end.

I hope you had a Bully 4th!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report; thanks for the pics. That road profile looks like a killer -- all up or down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always so impressed with what you and COD do i that extremely beautiful part of the country. Thanks for all the effort in posting the thread.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just awesomely beautiful - thanks for sharing it, and you are one strong and fit fellow. Bully indeed! Cheers!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Great report; thanks for the pics. That road profile looks like a killer -- all up or down.
    Indeed - and as you see int he pics I took the Simoncini with the compact and 12/25 - handled the hills quite well but I still managed to get totally spent by the time I climbed the last hill (which is not on the profile) - it is the drive back up to the place I stayed, short but the steepest climb of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I am always so impressed with what you and COD do i that extremely beautiful part of the country. Thanks for all the effort in posting the thread.
    Thanks - Rides like this one are the mainstay of my summer ridding, beautiful country - sometimes I have to remind myself just how lucky I am to be surrounded by it.