Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Paving Question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Paving Question

Old 06-29-10, 06:07 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paving Question

Part of one of my main routes has been repaved. I guess they put down some tar type stuff, then covered it with fine gravel. Much of the gravel is still loose. It's pretty much unrideable now.

Will they come back and remove the excess gravel? Is there any point in complaining?

Thanks,
Old 06-29-10, 06:25 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you're describing chipseal. All the times I've ever seen it done, the gravel layer gets left on there, and cars driving over it eventually get it removed to the side or wherever it goes off to. Maybe give it a few weeks and you'll feel comfortable riding on it again?
Old 06-29-10, 06:33 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Sounds like chipseal, which can vary from pretty fine gravel (ok to ride after cars beat it down a bit) to very coarse gravel (which can stay unridable for a long time). It's always seemed to me that if it's very hot and the road gets a lot of traffic, it can get beat down to "normal" reasonably quickly. But if it's coarse gravel and the road doesn't get a lot of traffic you might be in for a long wait.

Somebody here posted a cost comparison between chipseal resurfacing vs. putting in a new asphalt surface. As I recall, chipseal is much, much, much cheaper for the city/county/state.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-29-10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 06:37 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You must be on skinny tires; my home street was chipsealed about four years ago, and there are three streets I regularly use that just received CS this spring -- my 2.0's handle it just fine. Now, my NEPHEW -- 7-y-o, rides fatties too, urban tread so he can keep up -- manages to find a way to skid out just bout every time on these newly done streets.

I'm not hating on your ride, just sayin'....
Old 06-29-10, 06:45 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12638 Post(s)
Liked 7,529 Times in 3,990 Posts
In my area, they came by and swept the bike lanes on Minehaha after they chipsealed it last year. They used 1" aggregate, so the bike lane's still pretty rough on a road bike, but the car tire tracks are smooth. The bike lane's not even that comfy on well-inflated 1.5" semi slicks.

I still need to write a letter to the county commissioner about only chipsealing to the edge of the car area of the road and leaving the bike lane alone. Should save the county thousands of dollars.

Oh, it seems like they waited a couple of days to run the sweepers. Even after the first pass, cars kicked a bunch more rock into the bike lane. After a second sweeping, loose gravel occurrence plateaued.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-29-10 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 06:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Our subdivision is now 10 years old, and they are redoing the streets. First, they repaired all the holes and cracks. Then a layer of asphalt covered by gravel - i.e., chip seal, Howwever, just today they passed out announcements to not park cars on the street as they are covering the chipseal with asphalt tomorrow. GREAT, as the chipseal was hard to ride on for all my bikes, including my mtn bike with1.75 slicks.
Old 06-29-10, 07:02 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-29-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Part of one of my main routes has been repaved. I guess they put down some tar type stuff, then covered it with fine gravel. Much of the gravel is still loose. It's pretty much unrideable now.

Will they come back and remove the excess gravel? Is there any point in complaining?

Thanks,
You're lucky it was "fine" gravel. Chipseal is a way of life around here.
Old 06-29-10, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Chipseal is an evil concoction invented by Karl Marx, and the dirty commies in Washington County, AR just chipsealed one of my favorite routes along the Middle Fork of the White River in the Boston Mountains. It was a quiet and beautiful ride. You could hear the water rushing over the rocks in the river. I suspect it will be 6 months, at a minimum, before it can be ridden again, and then it will be as rough as a cob. I asked a local about it before we turned around, and he mentioned that he wouldn't be able to ride his motorcycle over it, either.
Old 06-29-10, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
About a week ago I got caught in a mess of fresh chipseal. There was no practical alternate route so I had to suck it up. The good news is I was riding my touring bike which sports full coverage fenders plus front mudflap. When the chipseal ended, I knocked the clinging stones off the tires with my gloved hands. Arriving home, I found no trace of stones or tar anywhere on the bike. I'm still afraid to look up under the fenders.

Last edited by Louis; 06-29-10 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 09:57 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Fresh Chipseal is dangerous stuff. Very easy to wipe out on it. The worst is when you find yourself on it without notice, i.e., you turn a corner and suddenly.....
Old 06-30-10, 07:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

Thats miserable looking stuff. Makes riding around here unbearable.
Old 06-30-10, 07:33 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

The chipseal in my neck of the woods can be pretty brutal.
Old 06-30-10, 07:38 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HI,
It dissolved my new tires and was all over my bike, it was post spraying without the gravel it will really mess up a bike, next time I'll walk and carry the bike around tbe road.
my 700/23 looked like MTB tires in about 2 blocks.
Geeze ( note those ice scrappers will remove tar pretty well don't reccomend kerosene to remove tar on tire cause it will disolve tires too,
doug
Old 06-30-10, 08:34 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if it's very hot and the road gets a lot of traffic,
Unfortunately, neither of those are the case here.
Old 06-30-10, 09:02 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Chip seal is most definitely not cycling friendly. But, then my experience is that most township supervisors, county commissioners, or others responsible for secondary roads aren't, for the most part, all the cycling friendly either.

I've recently encountered a few dirt roads that have been sprayed with oil - no stones or gravel, just the oil. I've got to wonder how good this is for the environment.
Old 06-30-10, 09:39 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

^^^ Wow, I haven't seen that since the late 70s! Definitely non-eco-friendly.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-30-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-30-10, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Wow, I haven't seen that since the late 70s! Definitely non-eco-friendly.
What planet have you been living on??? Around here chipseal is all they use anymore.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 06-30-10, 09:56 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by bobbycorno
What planet have you been living on??? Around here chipseal is all they use anymore.
Ooops, sorry, I was referring to dirt roads sprayed with oil to keep the dust down, mentioned in the post above mine. Should've quoted like I did here.

On a side note, however, it was a nice 10 years in the 90s and early aughts that I lived in Portland and never encountered any chipseal, that I can recall. Prior to that in AZ it was all over. Now up here in the Vancouver suburbs, it's all over the place too.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-30-10 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-30-10, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
The stuff you saw on the dirt road is most likely not petroleum based oil. The road I live on is unpaved, ie gravel with lots of dry dusty dirt underneath. The town used to put a solid, granular stuff to keep the dust down, but have switched to a liquid. It looks a lot like oil, but doesn't work as well. It does get picked up by car and bike tires, which then look like they have oil on them.
I heard rumors that the town might chip seal the road, it's only 1/4 long, but I live at the very end. So I guess I'd have to walk the road bike to the other end when I want to ride it. I don't which would be worse, the CS or the dust/mud.
Old 06-30-10, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will they come back and remove the loose gravel? LOL!
Old 06-30-10, 01:14 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Around here we call it pea gravel. It can be brutal! About 3 years ago a local cyclist hit some unexpectedly and he now rides a w/c. The problem locally is that on some roads they put up a sign warning you and others they don't. In the summer time I just accept it as another road hazard and try to pay attention.
Old 06-30-10, 01:43 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Pea gravel chipseal ain't so bad. When they dump the big rocks in the tar, like in 10 Wheels' second pic, it is teh suck, as they say.
Old 06-30-10, 04:23 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
The stuff you saw on the dirt road is most likely not petroleum based oil. The road I live on is unpaved, ie gravel with lots of dry dusty dirt underneath. The town used to put a solid, granular stuff to keep the dust down, but have switched to a liquid. It looks a lot like oil, but doesn't work as well. It does get picked up by car and bike tires, which then look like they have oil on them.
I heard rumors that the town might chip seal the road, it's only 1/4 long, but I live at the very end. So I guess I'd have to walk the road bike to the other end when I want to ride it. I don't which would be worse, the CS or the dust/mud.
No, this was an oil based product. I asked and was told, "It never really seeps into the ground very deep." Right.... and I've got some beach front property in Pittsburgh I'd like to sell you.
Old 06-30-10, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Repaving, 10 yrs ago was over $2sq. ft. This chip seal stuff goes down for much less, but does little to get rid of the imperfections. Darn, hit 1/2 a glass of North Coast Old Rasputin right to the floor. Glad this carpets got to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.