Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How many tool boxes do you have?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - I don't ever wrench

1 3.03%
  • 1 - I keep it simple

2 6.06%
  • 2 - Just enough

7 21.21%
  • 3-4 - A few specialized items

7 21.21%
  • 5-7 - It's becoming noticable

6 18.18%
  • 7-10 - Too many hobbies

6 18.18%
  • 11-14 - I can't find things even when I put them away

3 9.09%
  • 14-20 - Therapy might work

0 0%
  • 20-30 - I need serious help

1 3.03%
  • 30+ I am hopeless

0 0%
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many tool boxes do you have?

This morning I was rummaging around for a tool I rarely use, I could not find it and suspect it was in a tool box we have in our vacation place. Then I started thinking, how many tool boxes do I have - man this is worse than N+1 for bikes
    In our second home I have a quick access tool box for minor home repairs and a larger tool box for tools for the larger (although not really big) jobs.
    At home again I have a tool box for quick home repairs, a tool box for quick bike repairs, a tool box for the big bike repairs (and more useful spare parts), one for recreational ski tuning, one for race ski tuning and major repairs, one for specialty metal working tools, one for just screw drivers and pliers, one for wrenches, one for specialty wood working tools (not to mention all the wood working tools I have on shelves and finally one out in the car - now that is more than 10 and I bet if I went down in the basement would find a few more I forgot to think of. I know with all the loose tools I have around the basement I could use a few more because all my electrical tools are in plastic bags and containers. These are easy things to tell the kids to get me for xmas.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bag to tote around when needed. One small box with bike tools. Two sets of drawers for small bike parts. One 11 drawer mechanic's chest for the rest of the goodies.
    Ride Bike.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about 5 gallon buckets, do they count? I have one each for plumbing, pool stuff, gardening, and framing.

I also have the original Sears/Craftsman 88 piece tool box that my dad and I went halfies on when I was 18.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many tool boxes?
    One with "household" type tools.
    One plastic box with bike tools and bike parts in it.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a generic tool kit with like 30-40 tools in it and a kitchen drawer full of random tools I have accumulated over the years

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    What about 5 gallon buckets, do they count? I have one each for plumbing, pool stuff, gardening, and framing.

I also have the original Sears/Craftsman 88 piece tool box that my dad and I went halfies on when I was 18.
    If I counted my 5 gallon buckets that would add at least 3 more, one for dry wall tools, one for assorted wood clamps and one for sanding tools. Man am I a sick pup.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of toolboxes- 3 in the garage alone but I just could not tell you what is in them-One large one for Household tools that I bought once for one job and never used again- A Shed that contains all the electrical stuff---Along with the bikes. I have 3 that have never been used- bought for me as presents as all men can use a toolbox.

And the important one is the bike box. Weighs about 15lbs and has all the tools and spanners I need to repair a bike---Except when I want the Pedal spanner- Ross has borrowed it and it is 1/2 mile away.

When I was a race mechanic (Karting)- I had two tool kits. One laid out on top of the bench that no-one was allowed to touch. On the shelf below was an identical kit for when one of the "Using" tools went missing. I never lost any of the lower shelf tools either -A Club hammer across the knuckles meant that no-one borrowed my tools.

Now where's that bag of 5mm allen keys I bought last month?

Perhaps I ought to start using the tool kits to store tools in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 roll boxes (one that I received as a high school graduation gift), and numerous hand boxes for small specialized hand tools. Only one drawer out of all three roll boxes is needed to hold all of my bicycle tools, the rest are dedicated to automotive tools.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know.

I suppose it depends on how you count them. For example, do the boxes that I keep my woodworking saws and drill in count? Of course, once that's defined I'd still have to find them all and count them all.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 07-07-10 at 07:45 PM.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one rolling tool chest for bike stuff including bike-specific tools and things plus multiple+ cardboard and plastic boxes/containers for parts, accessories, tubes, cables/housing, etc. etc. Tools that aren't bike specific live in another rolling chest. Plus a few more tool boxes for drill stuff, electrical stuff, plumbing stuff, etc. etc. etc. Gonna get organized one of these days.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in segregation.

Tool bags for:
    Automotive tools
    General carpentry tools/ framing
    Fine cabinet making tools
    Electrical
    Plumbing
    Bike tools
    Screw drivers
    Clamps

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this is getting way too personal. Let's focus on the easy stuff like salary, net worth, sexual preference and frequency, chain lube, etc.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Now this is getting way too personal. Let's focus on the easy stuff like salary, net worth, sexual preference and frequency, chain lube, etc.
    +1

I have several tool collections. Would paint boxes and camera bags count if you use them for hire?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a tool box for computers, a tool box for bikes, two tool boxes for guitars (they are small boxes), and a ton of misc tools hanging all over basement shop wall and the work shed wall. I'm sick.

When a tree fell in my yard my first thought was, "Oh boy, I can get a chain saw!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    Is a ukulele player in a mandolin town and banned from all bars by the chief of police unless he leaves his strings and gravy at the front door.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha!

This is a funny poll; I just spent last weekend cleaning out the garage. I threw away 4 old, cheap, plastic tool boxes because my tools were always hiding in there -- I transferred everything into my 3 "nice" tool boxes (one for bike tools; one for everyday around-the-house tools; one for everything else).

Hope this works...

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 I think. Several large enough they require a rollback or trailer with friends to move. I earn money with them. Great excuse eh?
    I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really know. I keep finding tool boxes I'd forgotten about stashed in corners I rarely look in. I even gave away a couple for free on Craigslist recently.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 2 tool boxes, 1-for my metric tools and 1-for my SAE tools, what few actual bicycle tools I have are in with the metric box.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I purchased a six foot high tool chest with multiple drawers. It was the smartest move I ever made. I keep all my tools in it. Cycling tools has it's own special drawer. I then keep an empty tray from a no longer in use tool box on top of the chest. When I have a job to do, I fill the tray with the tools I'll need and take it to the job. As soon as I finish the job, the tools all go back to their designated place and the empty tray is ready of the next job. This system has worked extremely well for me. That is, until one of my kids need to 'borrow' a tool.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to vote 5-7.

* I have a rool-away chest-on-chest topped with a tool box out in the garage for automotive use.
    * I have a portable tool box for auto and trailer/camping use on road trips.
    * I have a portable toolbox for my bike tools.
    * I have a portable tool box in the basement shop for those household tools that aren't hanging on the pegboard (I never, ever use automotive designated tools indoors).
    * I have a fanny pack stuffed with bike tools that I stow on my bike for emergency road use (the cell is useless now as the bride no longer drives).

My Bikes
    84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 86 Centurion Ironman, 88 Centurion Prestige
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tool boxes squirreled away all over. Since I am a professional mechanic among other things, I have a large Snap-On roll around with a lot of high dollar tools in it kept at work. Then there is the Craftsman Professional double chest with auto, tractor, boat, bicycle and general purpose tools and those odd metric tools (airplanes don't do metric). Then I have a much older and very nice Craftsman Professional roll around with tons of tools mostly aviation related at my personal hanger, then another large roll around full of mostly antique brand general purpose tools inherited from my grandfather and then there are the various "away" boxes for missions be it to the Gulf with the boat and then I have a cantilever box with SCUBA specific tools for regulator rebuilds and general equipment maintenance and a whole bunch more.
    Steel is Real

I was once told that only _ussies needed lower than 42/21 gearing.

Steel Bike Club Member 212

Pinarello Trevisio, Guerciotti SLX, Centurion Ironman Expert, Centurion Prestige, Surly Cross Check, 96 aluminum Stumpjumper and some other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bike box, an auto box, an archery box... another box dedicated to screwdrivers... And several shelves of tools of all kinds in my workroom. In addition to doing all my own bike work I rebuild old bikes for fun & profit... I also build cigar-box instruments, archery equipment.....

I just need a few more hobbies.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four - one for big stuff, one for wrenches and bike tools, one for electronics, and one for fountain pen repair.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my plastic buckets.

I forgot to mention that I have everything in my Hydro Pack for everything but rebuilding the bearings, BB and Freewheel.

I have a complete set of bike tools laying out handy on an old bookshelf and then other tools in a nifty Red Standing on rollers tool chest.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two, but I prefer tool bags. I have a Bucketboss for my electronics tools, and a Craftsman tool bag for my bicycle tools. Tool bags carry well, last a long time, transport and store easier (to me) than tool boxes.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.