Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want a bike for car city.

I'm flying to L.A. for a downtown convention in a few weeks. My hotel is a couple of miles from the convention center. I've been trying to figure out the best transportation. What makes it more difficult is that after LA, I'm flying elsewhere and don't want to have to board a plane with bicycle two more times. Downtown LA is flat, but the hotel is up a steep climb west of the freeway. That I know because I used to work 2 blocks downhill of the hotel. There are no bike stores, bike rental shops, big box department stores or bike coops very close.

I will mostly be using it to ride in the downtown area, with few plans for any recreational riding.

Seems like my options are:

Public buses

Taxis

Buy a $40-50 bike, take it with me and leave it behind.

Buy a folder and consider it an investment

Any opinions on what you would do in this circumstance?
    Last edited by Artkansas; 07-06-10 at 03:51 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The folder is always a good idea. I bought an inexpensive one (Dahon Boardwalk) few years ago and find I use it for any number of things. $200 well spent as far as I see it. Great for events where parking is at a premium. I'll take my group and drop them close then go out to where parking is available and ride back in. Plus it's cute and a chick magnet and conversation starter. When I was flying a lot I considered a good one (Moulton is what I was considering) but just never made the decision. LA is pretty flat so a SS Dahon wouldn't be a wrong choice. I have climbed pretty steep grades for short distances on it (Carlisle, PA near Appalachian Trail) so it's not a brick. ThorUSA (brakemeister on the forum) is a good guy to deal with for foldies.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still favoring getting an older bike and leaving it. I've already lost one bike to downtown L.A. so I'm leery of having one I really care about parked where people can get their hands on it.

The hard part with that plan is either finding one here and shipping it, or having one ready there.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.