Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-10, 04:57 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too Many Flats - Trying Conti Ultra Gatorskins/Armadillos

3 Flats last week or so, including one today. I took a really good look at my Conti 4000's, and discovered that, since the last time I looked, they had really developed a shoulder, and I was near the casing on the rear. I forget that I am riding about 150 miles per week, and that does wear out tires!!

Since I got my flat right after riding on some gravel, and I spent about 15 minutes on the trail trying to find something in the tire that had caused the puncture flat, without success, I concluded that it was likely an in and out puncture. I was able to locate the hole in the tube, but there was no sharp thing in relation on the tire.

So, went to my friendly LBS and bought some Conti Ultra Gatorskins to try. Also, replaced the rim tape as a preventative measure. Hope this helps.

So, we shall see.

BTW, the LBS guy said that Specialized had totally redone the Armadillos recently, and they were a much better tire as regards rolling resistance, ability to mount and the like. Last Armadillos I had were SLOW and almost impossible to mount.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:05 PM   #2
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
I run the Ultra Gatorskins on my commuting bike. They're tough and wear well, but give a rough ride.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:06 PM   #3
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'm closing in on 5,000 miles on a set of Gatorskins. I like them a lot. I disagree with Bud on the ride. I also run them at considerably less pressure than most people, so that could be it.

That's good news about the Armadillos. I really disliked the ones I've tried. Heavy, slow, slippery in the wet and rode like cast iron. Any change would be for the better IMHO.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:10 PM   #4
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
DF,

Been riding the Gatorskins for several years. According to a rolling resistance study I quoted about a month ago they have reasonable rolling resistance, not the best but not bad. I get a lot of wear from them but I find them hard to mount the first few times until the bead stretches a little.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:30 PM   #5
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been running Conti Gatorskins on my Gunnar Street Dog for a long time. Expensive, but well worth it if you hate flats as much as I do. They're very popular around here, on the frequently rough roads of the Bay State.

My present set of Gatorskins are in their third year. I'm not certain how long I ran the last pair, but the rear tire was worn down pretty good. No complaints from me.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:58 PM   #6
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
We rode almost 2000 miles between us last week on our tour around the San Juan Mountains and didn't get one flat. That includes over 100 miles total on a very rough gravel road from Ouray to Ridgway. No flats! Most of our group rides Conti 4000s tires but some had SWorks Turbos or Michelin Pro Race. The OP must have very bad luck!
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 10:49 PM   #7
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I'm closing in on 5,000 miles on a set of Gatorskins. I like them a lot. I disagree with Bud on the ride. I also run them at considerably less pressure than most people, so that could be it.

That's good news about the Armadillos. I really disliked the ones I've tried. Heavy, slow, slippery in the wet and rode like cast iron. Any change would be for the better IMHO.
That pretty much sums up my experience. Gators have given me excellent service and I think they ride pretty well. They have stood up well to gravel and I run them about 10 lbs below recommended max. I removed some Armyadillos that were just terrible feeling.

Has anyone tried the new Schwalbe Ultremo DDs? Very, very nice tire IMO! http://www.schwalbetires.com/ultremo_dd
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 05:37 AM   #8
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
The OP must have very bad luck!
Well. must ask, then, what do you use for "luck."

I tried carrying a rabbit's foot in my jersey pocket - that did not help. I have some mantra's that I say. They don't seem to help.

If "luck" is the answer, I really need some help here.

Otherwise I will have to chalk it up to worn tires, as I mentioned in the OP. But, heck, that couldn't be the cause when we all know it is my bad "luck!!."
Old 07-08-10, 06:03 AM   #9
Jiffyjam

Bikes: Surly LHT
I just switched back from the 700 x 28c Ultra GatorSkins on my Randonee to the original Vittoria Randonneurs, 700 x 32c. The Gators felt a bit harsh to me, and the rolling resistance was about the same. I do read that the Gators are tough . ( I bought my Gators at Performance, they let me bring em back even after riding them for 2 days ).

Last edited by Jiffyjam; 07-08-10 at 02:52 PM.
Jiffyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 06:20 AM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

I tried carrying a rabbit's foot in my jersey pocket - that did not help. I have some mantra's that I say. They don't seem to help.

Otherwise I will have to chalk it up to worn tires, as I mentioned in the OP. But, heck, that couldn't be the cause when we all know it is my bad "luck!!."
If worn tires are the culprit, is it maybe overkill to go with armor cladded tires when simply new tires may have done as well without the extra weight or harshness? Did you have puncture problems with the Conti 4000's before they got old and worn?
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 06:36 AM   #11
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Any worn tire will be subject to punctures as you found out. I often let my tires go to the point I get a flat from things that normally wouldn't cause a puncture. Tires aren't cheap and like most riders I let them go as long as I can. In my use, the Conti 4000s has been a very puncture resistant tire and my lucky charm it seems. But once they get thin all bets are off. When goatheads become the problem though my advise is to move to the Southeast. We don't have them there. lol
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 06:45 AM   #12
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
If worn tires are the culprit, is it maybe overkill to go with armor cladded tires when simply new tires may have done as well without the extra weight or harshness? Did you have puncture problems with the Conti 4000's before they got old and worn?
Well, yes - more than I would like. AS I said in my original post, I want to try them.

"So, went to my friendly LBS and bought some Conti Ultra Gatorskins to try."

Somehow, I am feeling on the defensive for telling the forum that I am trying a new type of tire.
Old 07-08-10, 08:10 AM   #13
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, yes - more than I would like. AS I said in my original post, I want to try them.

Somehow, I am feeling on the defensive for telling the forum that I am trying a new type of tire.
Please don't feel the need to be defensive. I was not attacking. I asked a question and you answered it. Since you were having puncture problems with your old tires (that was not clear in the OP), it makes good sense to try something more protective.

I do think some people go to overkill on flat protection at the price of a loss of handling and feel. On the other hand, some situations call for compromise on those fronts to avoid numerous flat tires.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 09:22 AM   #14
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
So what pressure are you running your Gatorskins at? I run my Conti GP 4000s at 110 rear and 95 front, and they ride comfortably and roll great. Just picked up some Gatorskins but haven't mounted them yet.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 09:51 AM   #15
Frobozz

Bikes:
I just switched to 700/28 Bontrager Hard Case's after a few flats on the stock 700/23's. Are these comparable to the Gator Skins? No flats on theem yet.....
Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 10:05 AM   #16
bobbycorno

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobozz View Post
I just switched to 700/28 Bontrager Hard Case's after a few flats on the stock 700/23's. Are these comparable to the Gator Skins? No flats on theem yet.....
No. Hard Cases are without a doubt the WORST tires I have EVER used (in 35 years of riding): hard to mount, slow, harsh riding, and "greasy" cornering feel. On the positive side they appear to wear like iron. Unfortunately, they ride like it too.

The only similarity that between those and Gatorskins is that they're both a PITA to install and remove. The Gators roll fast, corner well and ride smooth.

Never really had a chance to compare the puncture resistance, as I don't get that many flats. (Just watch - now I'll get a flat a day for the next month.)

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 10:30 AM   #17
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarwheel View Post
So what pressure are you running your Gatorskins at? I run my Conti GP 4000s at 110 rear and 95 front, and they ride comfortably and roll great. Just picked up some Gatorskins but haven't mounted them yet.
120 psi front and back. I've always used 120. However, I don't pump every day, so on some days it will be a bit less.
Old 07-08-10, 11:50 AM   #18
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my Gatorskins. I tried Armadillos and they were just too much trouble! I had trouble changing flats (yes you will still get flats).

On my current pair of Gatorskins (which need to be retired) I have ridden 3 years (including a tour in Montana) without a flat (now the tires are jinx'd). I just make sure the pressure for my 28's is 100psi and I am good to go!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 07-08-10 at 11:53 AM.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 12:06 PM   #19
daven1986

Bikes:
Love my armadillos
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 02:17 PM   #20
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The thinner the rubber- the less distance for a thorn to penetrate to the tube. But thick rubber will allow a thorn to get into the rubber and then break the thorn- leaving just the head. I check my tyres by running a damp rag over them and I can then see the flints- thorns- glass etc embedded in the tyre and remove them before they puncture.

Won't help with your goatsheads though- think they would deflate a solid tyre.

Staying with my Michelin PR2's as I don't seem to have a problem this year. No Rain so nothing is growing- and that includes the Blackthorn that is our usual problem.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 02:21 PM   #21
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
First ride today on the Gators. Everything seemed just fine - didn't notice any particular tire-caused slowness, so I lost one more potential thing to blame slowness on!!
Old 07-08-10, 02:38 PM   #22
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

I've found 700 x 28c Gatorskins are good luck.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 02:44 PM   #23
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
I've found 700 x 28c Gatorskins are good luck.
Well, mine are 700 x 25's - will that give me luck also?
Old 07-08-10, 02:50 PM   #24
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quote:

Fox, someone in the Long Distance forum once pointed out (rather more politely than in some of our sibling Forums) that according to the forum, you'll always have the wrong tires, wheels, saddle, handlebars, energy bars, shorts, socks, and ... well, just name it. But none of that matters. Smiles, remember? Birds, flowers, other engaging sights, and watch out for glass and goatheads.

Personally I have maybe 1500 miles on two sets of Gators. Neither one is near wear limit. Neither one has given me a flat. Both ride well. I use the pressure chart to decide what pressure to set my tires at plus a little extra (I weigh 180, and do around 80 front/90 rear; I did buy an Accugauge tire gauge). Both sets of wheels coast very well, so the rolling resistance can't be bad, though there's no evidence available to me to indicate it's great.

All the advice I could garner about the Armadillos, including the recent ones, said I would feel slow compared to the Gators. Needing new tires for my tourer, 700 x 32c, I got some Pasela TGs. I like them but I only have a few hundred miles on them.
Old 07-08-10, 02:53 PM   #25
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quote:
Well, mine are 700 x 25's - will that give me luck also?
Yes.