Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    2009 FUJI Roubaix 2009 Raleigh Cadent FT 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheels Question

I am looking for a set of wheels for my Fuji Team (Full Carbon) with a $450.00 budget.

Any suggestions?
    Chuck

Road Bike
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another "wheels" thread...

I'll say, as I said elsewhere, that I've been very happy with my Spinergy Xaero Lites. Right about $450 for the set, and just over 1500g for the pair. I'm a Clyde and I've got over 1000 miles on them and haven't had to do anything to them yet. They're as true as the day I got them.

Charles

Make a donation or just check out my blog. Every little bit counts!
    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/charlesmmorgan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of riding do you do? Where do you ride (kind of surface, road hazards, climbs, etc)? How much total weight will the wheels be carrying? Are you more interested in performance or longevity?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    What kind of riding do you do? Where do you ride (kind of surface, road hazards, climbs, etc)? How much total weight will the wheels be carrying? Are you more interested in performance or longevity?
    Answers to this will denote the answer.

For those that do not need a performance wheel- want one that is reliable- and at an economic pice- Hand built wheels are the answer. Depends on the builder of course but they can be recommended. A wheel based on Ultegra/105 hubs mated to a Mavic OpenPro/CXP rim will suit most. I run 105 hubs with Mavic CXP33 rims with 36 double butted spokes and they are strong- dependable and ride like a dream. X2 lacing on the spokes gives me a stiff wheel that gives a comfortable ride and last time they went in for a check for true- the Builder checked them and regreased the hubs instead to give me my $15's worth, The wheel was true- spoke tension was fine and that was after 4,000 miles. Or look at the Mavis Krysium wheels on offer at a lot on online shops. Stiffer ride but possibly a better wheel but with "Bling" attached.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic - do you like the way the frame rides?

You might be able to get a set of Fulcrum 3's if you have a bit of time to shop around on your budget.

Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I ride on the road or bike path 100+ miles a week with 2 to 3000 feet elevation gain.
    I weight 186lb
    I would like to find a happy medium between the two.
    Chuck

Road Bike
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Stapfam says, the old school gold standard for wheels is the Shimano hub with an open pro (light) or CXP33 (aero and strong) rim. They have been the staple of wheel builders for years and they will provide excellent value and performance for the money.

Having said that, modern wheel technology has come a long way baby. There are modern rims that are incredably strong, straight pull spokes and cartridge bearing hubs to tickle the fancy. Most small wheel builders have not followed this trend yet because frankly the material to build one of these wheelsets isn't economically available to the average back shop biker.

For the time being, I've given up building my own wheels because there are some excellent commercial offerings available after picking through the sales. My preference at the present time are ***** ********** () for MTB's with straight pull spokes. I can buy some of these wheels for less than it would cost me to buy the material to build them.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the going gets tough, the pros go back to Box section Tubular rims,
    like Mavic Reflex. (a representative of type)

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Particularly after meeting a gentleman who was stranded by a single broken spoke on a modern low spoke count wheel, I am definitely staying with at least 32 old school spokes per wheel, in a 3X pattern. I am far more interested in reliability, repairability, limp-home capability, low moment of inertia, etc. than in minimizing wind turbulence.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Mavic Ksyrium Elite's. They list for about $600, but can routinely be found in the $400-$450 range online or ebay. I weigh about 170, and ride in similar conditions to yours, and have liked the way they ride so well that I now have five sets (for different bikes). They have bladed spokes and cartridge bearings, which I was particularly pleased about, since I have 'taken a shine' to ceramic bearings, and have converted all sets over. I have two sets with grade3 and three with grade5. The grade three set increased my 'rollout' distance about 250ft on the same hill. I highly recommend the Elites, with or without the ceramic conversion!

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After re-reading maddmaxx's post, I remembered another possibility. I got a set of Williams '19' wheels which are light and strong, and come stock with ceramic bearings. They might be a little higher than your stated $450 budget, but are semi-custom, and I doubt you will get better service from lesser wheels. I have mine set up with Tufo tubular clinchers, and save them for events. The Mavics I earlier posted about are my everyday riding/training wheels.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badamsjr View Post
    I use Mavic Ksyrium Elite's. They list for about $600, but can routinely be found in the $400-$450 range online or ebay. I weigh about 170, and ride in similar conditions to yours, and have liked the way they ride so well that I now have five sets (for different bikes). They have bladed spokes and cartridge bearings, which I was particularly pleased about, since I have 'taken a shine' to ceramic bearings, and have converted all sets over. I have two sets with grade3 and three with grade5. The grade three set increased my 'rollout' distance about 250ft on the same hill. I highly recommend the Elites, with or without the ceramic conversion!
    +1 And....I looked at the Fuji web site and the team bikes have a lot of options so it is not clear which wheel you have now. If these are the cheaper, heavier stock wheels which an LBS will give you a $150 credit for if you upgrade to a better wheel set at time of purchase, then the Mavics will be a nice upgrade. If you already have upgraded wheels because you purchased a higher end team bike, then upgrading is not going to offer much performance improvement, if any. But having an extra set of nice wheels is one of life's pleasures.

Week Day Commuter.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badamsjr View Post
    After re-reading maddmaxx's post, I remembered another possibility. I got a set of Williams '19' wheels which are light and strong, and come stock with ceramic bearings. They might be a little higher than your stated $450 budget, but are semi-custom, and I doubt you will get better service from lesser wheels. I have mine set up with Tufo tubular clinchers, and save them for events. The Mavics I earlier posted about are my everyday riding/training wheels.
    I have been looking at Williams as well the 30 or 30X

Any one have input about these
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels.html

Thanks for all you help guys.

Well i ended up getting Forte Apollo wheels and Gatorskin tires.

UPDATE: 8/10/10
    After running the Forte Apollo for 3 weeks i just returned them due to the fact they were cracking now i have Mavic Aksium's
    Last edited by sinclac; 08-10-10 at 10:42 PM.
    Chuck

Road Bike
    Commuter
    2011 Trek PDX