Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-10, 04:05 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of bears, mountain lions, coyotes, balloons and remains of ancient civilizations

A favorite fun ride around Chatfield State Park today. 30 miles, lot's of relaxing, meeting folks - things I like to do.

See the Hot Air Balloon in this picture?

Here it is a few miles down the road!!

The "mighty" S Platte River.

Top sign warns of coyotes, middle sign of bears and bottom sign warns of mountain lions. Should I go home?

Archaeological remnants of an ancient warrior tribe?

I hate this traffic!!

And, of course, a marina on the lake. My Lemond is in the foreground with its new Conti Gators installed.

A special spot for viewing aquatic and bird life - through the slots in the blind.

What a great day.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 04:26 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Oh, I forgot. About 3,000 smiles to add to my smile log.
Old 07-09-10, 05:34 PM   #3
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Nice pics!

Believe it or not, we get bear up here in the 'Big City' too.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/508...-in-pittsford/

At one point the DEC was tracking three bear through our residential areas this Spring. We get a small amount of Coyote also. Big cats....there have been some contested sightings in the Souther portions of N.Y.S. When they move into our neighborhood I'll be shopping for a shotgun!
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 05:38 PM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
We had a man bitten by a bear in the foothills yesterday. He came into the house, bit the man and thenihid inthe attic. They had to shoot the almost 400 lb bear.

Thanks for the comment. Sometimes it is discouraging spending about 2 hours selecting, editing photos, posting to the web, writing text and finally posting to bike forums. Folks wonder why there are not more ride threads. Not having anyone react tends to discourage future ride threads, at least for me.

But, that is the chance one takes when posting.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-10 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 06:16 PM   #5
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Great pics, although I think you miss identified the archeological artifact, I believe that was native wild life droppings.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 06:22 PM   #6
Louis

Bikes:
Well that explains why the ancient warrior tribe died out.

Next thing you know, those bears up around Rochester will be using condoms.

But seriously, Denver, thanks for posting.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 06:45 PM   #7
ArtO

Bikes: Fuji Tahoe
What a beautiful place for a ride. Wish I was there. Thanks for sharing. By the way did you run into any of the wildlife?
ArtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 06:46 PM   #8
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
We had a man bitten by a bear in the foothills yesterday. He came into the house, bit the man and thenihid inthe attic. They had to shoot the almost 400 lb bear.

Thanks for the comment. Sometimes it is discouraging spending about 2 hours selecting, editing photos, posting to the web, writing text and finally posting to bike forums. Folks wonder why there are not more ride threads. Not having anyone react tends to discourage future ride threads, at least for me.

I've started posting and then not checking for responses. It's good practice for me. It may or may not be worthwhile entertainment for others. I maintain my sanity.

I remember reading a post a couple years ago from a poster who I believe to be both intelligent and wise. he said that he generally posts and moves on without ever going back to the thread. At the time I was confused, now I think I finally understand.

So now I try to just speak my mind and move on. Some times I am successful at this and sometimes I'm not.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 06:46 PM   #9
knzn

Bikes: 1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Sometimes it is discouraging spending about 2 hours selecting, editing photos, posting to the web, writing text and finally posting to bike forums. Folks wonder why there are not more ride threads. Not having anyone react tends to discourage future ride threads, at least for me.

I know I don't respond often enough when folks post ride photo's. I do enjoy them as I suspect many more folks do too.
Thanks!
knzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 07:00 PM   #10
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
I've started posting and then not checking for responses. It's good practice for me. It may or may not be worthwhile entertainment for others. I maintain my sanity.

I remember reading a post a couple years ago from a poster who I believe to be both intelligent and wise. he said that he generally posts and moves on without ever going back to the thread. At the time I was confused, now I think I finally understand.

So now I try to just speak my mind and move on. Some times I am successful at this and sometimes I'm not.
You are a better man then I!! But it is definitely food for thought. I have ALMOST learned to ignore pot shots and negative remarks from others. I have learned that folks who do such things are doing it for the reaction they get. No reaction and they stop. Fortunately, there are just a few of those on the 50+ forum.
Old 07-09-10, 07:00 PM   #11
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Us too, we enjoy all those ride pics and coments. We actually read CGOAB , it seems to have more trip stories
Rod & Judy
gracehowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 07:04 PM   #12
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtO View Post
What a beautiful place for a ride. Wish I was there. Thanks for sharing. By the way did you run into any of the wildlife?
A huge Bald Eagle circling and circling. Besides that some birds and a fish or two jumping. However, I have seen a lot of deer this year on the trails near my home. And a dead skunk!
Old 07-09-10, 07:12 PM   #13
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wonderful photos and commentary Denver.

Hot air balloons always remind me of a dog we used to own. We had a balloon land in our backyard once, and Ollie went ballistic. Every time after that, whenever he heard a balloon, he would bark his head off.

One time in Ohio I happened to see a government issue silver balloon heading toward the east. It was years later that I found out that it was my cousin and another guy who took off from the airport in Akron, OH, and were headed east. Apparently they ditched on the east coast just before heading out over the Atlantic.

Do you know the origin of the term "Blimp"? It originally was "B-Type, Limp", referring to the fact that the gas cell was non-rigid. It was manufactured by the B. F. Goodrich Company in Akron. Goodrich also manufactured the first space suits worn by the Mercury astronauts. I worked for Goodrich, my father-in-law worked for Goodyear, my dad worked for Firestone, and my best friend's dad worked for General.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 07:19 PM   #14
Retired

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12
Keep it up. The day I have to worry about Bears, and there has been a few here in Atlanta. Mind you, I said a FEW and not very often. I'll just worry about stray dogs.
Great Pic's.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 09:45 PM   #15
old&slow

Bikes:
Great pics.

I rode out to Chatfield today also. It is a great place to ride isn't it?

I saw a couple redtail hawks and a couple pelicans today.

Sure do like the view from the dam.
old&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 12:40 AM   #16
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love seeing where others ride. Mainly because it is so different to the routes I go on and makes me envious. But If I do a new route- or ride in a different area where the scenery is not quite as others have- I try to post with pics. But I dare say people get fed up with seeing the same rolling hills- or the same castles but from a different angle too often. My big problem is that The pictures I should take- are the ones I don't. The downhill is too good- The Offroad Knarly bits are too difficult to stop on- or the camera is in the back pocket and by the time I get it our- the moment has gone.

Getting good shots to post is not easy. It takes skill and the art of seeing a good photo opportunity.

So keep posting your "Boring" Pics from the rides If only to keep me envious of where you do ride.

And Have to agree- The time involved on getting a pictorial report on a ride does not always seem worth it- But I can assure you from a responder- it is.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 05:36 AM   #17
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
Thanks Denver, the reports with pictures are by far my favorite posts.

We have a great number of coyotes now in central Florida where I live. They have become a problem for small pet owners as they will happily eat Fido or Freddy Cat if they can.

We live in a wooded subdivision that is not densly populated and there have been many coyote sightings.
I was out walking at 4 am earlier this week and saw the paper man put my newspaper in the box. I walked out to get it and spooked something big in the empty wooded lot behind my paper box.
It was too dark to see what it was, but as I was only armed with my catheter bag , I thought I would be better off not getting any closer.
RoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 07:59 AM   #18
oldster

Bikes:
I was there , great day, came down the Platte.. lotsa folks around
Bud
oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 03:48 PM   #19
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Very nice pics. I'm tempted to say "It Is Balloooooonnnnn!" But nah.

So, on the sign of the Trojan Warrior, I would say it is more likely a sign of that mysterious
clan known as "Hornius Collegius Studentius". They're a strange group, known to exists for years on nothing more than beer and pizza.
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 04:21 PM   #20
jbman100
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.
I was there last week myself. I did the loop from Cherry Creek Res via the 470 path to Chatfield, Chatfield via South Platte path to REI, REI via Cherry Creek path back to Cherry Creek Res to my car. Twas a nice ride.
jbman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 04:33 PM   #21
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbman100 View Post
I was there last week myself. I did the loop from Cherry Creek Res via the 470 path to Chatfield, Chatfield via South Platte path to REI, REI via Cherry Creek path back to Cherry Creek Res to my car. Twas a nice ride.
That's like - about 55 miles??

When you were at Jordan and E470 - you could have spit real hard and hit my house. South at 2nd traffic light on Jordan from E470.
Old 07-10-10, 06:34 PM   #22
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Looks like tremendous riding area, even with the lions and tigers and bears-O MY!

I saw a little snake yesterday.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 06:32 AM   #23
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
I've got lots of wild turkeys in my area. Toss in some skunks, rabbits, and of course, Raccoons. Do they count?
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 07:26 AM   #24
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Beautiful area. That river looks really inviting! Nice looking aquatic bird "viewing" facility.

Some times it takes more than two hours for anyone to see and comment on a thread, even one with carefully edited photos of great rides.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-10, 11:17 AM   #25
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
I enjoyed that... thanks! That river pic looks like a place where a fly rod might come in handy!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote