Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of bears, mountain lions, coyotes, balloons and remains of ancient civilizations

A favorite fun ride around Chatfield State Park today. 30 miles, lot's of relaxing, meeting folks - things I like to do.

See the Hot Air Balloon in this picture?

Here it is a few miles down the road!!

The "mighty" S Platte River.

Top sign warns of coyotes, middle sign of bears and bottom sign warns of mountain lions. Should I go home?

Archaeological remnants of an ancient warrior tribe?

I hate this traffic!!

And, of course, a marina on the lake. My Lemond is in the foreground with its new Conti Gators installed.

A special spot for viewing aquatic and bird life - through the slots in the blind.

What a great day.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I forgot. About 3,000 smiles to add to my smile log.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics!

Believe it or not, we get bear up here in the 'Big City' too.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/508...-in-pittsford/

At one point the DEC was tracking three bear through our residential areas this Spring. We get a small amount of Coyote also. Big cats....there have been some contested sightings in the Souther portions of N.Y.S. When they move into our neighborhood I'll be shopping for a shotgun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a man bitten by a bear in the foothills yesterday. He came into the house, bit the man and thenihid inthe attic. They had to shoot the almost 400 lb bear.

Thanks for the comment. Sometimes it is discouraging spending about 2 hours selecting, editing photos, posting to the web, writing text and finally posting to bike forums. Folks wonder why there are not more ride threads. Not having anyone react tends to discourage future ride threads, at least for me.

But, that is the chance one takes when posting.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-09-10 at 05:43 PM.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, although I think you miss identified the archeological artifact, I believe that was native wild life droppings.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that explains why the ancient warrior tribe died out.

Next thing you know, those bears up around Rochester will be using condoms.

But seriously, Denver, thanks for posting.

My Bikes
    Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a beautiful place for a ride. Wish I was there. Thanks for sharing. By the way did you run into any of the wildlife?
    Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    We had a man bitten by a bear in the foothills yesterday. He came into the house, bit the man and thenihid inthe attic. They had to shoot the almost 400 lb bear.

Thanks for the comment. Sometimes it is discouraging spending about 2 hours selecting, editing photos, posting to the web, writing text and finally posting to bike forums. Folks wonder why there are not more ride threads. Not having anyone react tends to discourage future ride threads, at least for me.

I've started posting and then not checking for responses. It's good practice for me. It may or may not be worthwhile entertainment for others. I maintain my sanity.

I remember reading a post a couple years ago from a poster who I believe to be both intelligent and wise. he said that he generally posts and moves on without ever going back to the thread. At the time I was confused, now I think I finally understand.

So now I try to just speak my mind and move on. Some times I am successful at this and sometimes I'm not.

My Bikes
    1 comfort bike, a 1988-ish Rockhopper Comp that I like a lot, and 1 1973 sears 10 speed that needs restored or a new home.And now a Trek 1000.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Sometimes it is discouraging spending about 2 hours selecting, editing photos, posting to the web, writing text and finally posting to bike forums. Folks wonder why there are not more ride threads. Not having anyone react tends to discourage future ride threads, at least for me.

I know I don't respond often enough when folks post ride photo's. I do enjoy them as I suspect many more folks do too.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I've started posting and then not checking for responses. It's good practice for me. It may or may not be worthwhile entertainment for others. I maintain my sanity.

I remember reading a post a couple years ago from a poster who I believe to be both intelligent and wise. he said that he generally posts and moves on without ever going back to the thread. At the time I was confused, now I think I finally understand.

So now I try to just speak my mind and move on. Some times I am successful at this and sometimes I'm not.
    You are a better man then I!! But it is definitely food for thought. I have ALMOST learned to ignore pot shots and negative remarks from others. I have learned that folks who do such things are doing it for the reaction they get. No reaction and they stop. Fortunately, there are just a few of those on the 50+ forum.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us too, we enjoy all those ride pics and coments. We actually read CGOAB , it seems to have more trip stories
    Rod & Judy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtO View Post
    What a beautiful place for a ride. Wish I was there. Thanks for sharing. By the way did you run into any of the wildlife?
    A huge Bald Eagle circling and circling. Besides that some birds and a fish or two jumping. However, I have seen a lot of deer this year on the trails near my home. And a dead skunk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful photos and commentary Denver.

Hot air balloons always remind me of a dog we used to own. We had a balloon land in our backyard once, and Ollie went ballistic. Every time after that, whenever he heard a balloon, he would bark his head off.

One time in Ohio I happened to see a government issue silver balloon heading toward the east. It was years later that I found out that it was my cousin and another guy who took off from the airport in Akron, OH, and were headed east. Apparently they ditched on the east coast just before heading out over the Atlantic.

Do you know the origin of the term "Blimp"? It originally was "B-Type, Limp", referring to the fact that the gas cell was non-rigid. It was manufactured by the B. F. Goodrich Company in Akron. Goodrich also manufactured the first space suits worn by the Mercury astronauts. I worked for Goodrich, my father-in-law worked for Goodyear, my dad worked for Firestone, and my best friend's dad worked for General.

My Bikes
    1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep it up. The day I have to worry about Bears, and there has been a few here in Atlanta. Mind you, I said a FEW and not very often. I'll just worry about stray dogs.
    Great Pic's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics.

I rode out to Chatfield today also. It is a great place to ride isn't it?

I saw a couple redtail hawks and a couple pelicans today.

Sure do like the view from the dam.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love seeing where others ride. Mainly because it is so different to the routes I go on and makes me envious. But If I do a new route- or ride in a different area where the scenery is not quite as others have- I try to post with pics. But I dare say people get fed up with seeing the same rolling hills- or the same castles but from a different angle too often. My big problem is that The pictures I should take- are the ones I don't. The downhill is too good- The Offroad Knarly bits are too difficult to stop on- or the camera is in the back pocket and by the time I get it our- the moment has gone.

Getting good shots to post is not easy. It takes skill and the art of seeing a good photo opportunity.

So keep posting your "Boring" Pics from the rides If only to keep me envious of where you do ride.

And Have to agree- The time involved on getting a pictorial report on a ride does not always seem worth it- But I can assure you from a responder- it is.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Denver, the reports with pictures are by far my favorite posts.

We have a great number of coyotes now in central Florida where I live. They have become a problem for small pet owners as they will happily eat Fido or Freddy Cat if they can.

We live in a wooded subdivision that is not densly populated and there have been many coyote sightings.
    I was out walking at 4 am earlier this week and saw the paper man put my newspaper in the box. I walked out to get it and spooked something big in the empty wooded lot behind my paper box.
    It was too dark to see what it was, but as I was only armed with my catheter bag , I thought I would be better off not getting any closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there , great day, came down the Platte.. lotsa folks around
    Bud

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pics. I'm tempted to say "It Is Balloooooonnnnn!" But nah.

So, on the sign of the Trojan Warrior, I would say it is more likely a sign of that mysterious
    clan known as "Hornius Collegius Studentius". They're a strange group, known to exists for years on nothing more than beer and pizza.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Mercier Galaxy as my daily commuter.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was there last week myself. I did the loop from Cherry Creek Res via the 470 path to Chatfield, Chatfield via South Platte path to REI, REI via Cherry Creek path back to Cherry Creek Res to my car. Twas a nice ride.
    Jay B
    2010 Merceir Galaxy/2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...1/exercise.png

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbman100 View Post
    I was there last week myself. I did the loop from Cherry Creek Res via the 470 path to Chatfield, Chatfield via South Platte path to REI, REI via Cherry Creek path back to Cherry Creek Res to my car. Twas a nice ride.
    That's like - about 55 miles??

When you were at Jordan and E470 - you could have spit real hard and hit my house. South at 2nd traffic light on Jordan from E470.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like tremendous riding area, even with the lions and tigers and bears-O MY!

I saw a little snake yesterday.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got lots of wild turkeys in my area. Toss in some skunks, rabbits, and of course, Raccoons. Do they count?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful area. That river looks really inviting! Nice looking aquatic bird "viewing" facility.

Some times it takes more than two hours for anyone to see and comment on a thread, even one with carefully edited photos of great rides.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed that... thanks! That river pic looks like a place where a fly rod might come in handy!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast