User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding in the Rain

My regular ride was enlivened today by a summer shower halfway home. Put on the blinky lights and continued on confident that my riding clothes were really a lot like a bathing suit and after all if those boys in the TDF could do it why not me too? Felt good, kind of like stepping in puddles when I was a kid. Also, as Kramer said about Junior Mints, "very refreshing!"
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh, after all....it's only water!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a very hard rain here yesterday. It broke a 15+ day dry spell with temps above 100. I saw the rain pumped up the tires on the rain bike and joyously enjoyed a short 20 mile ride. If I wasn't willing to ride in the rain, I'd miss a lot of days of riding each year.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter and we have to ride in the rain but I haven't had a wet ride for months (Or so it seems). Few years ago and we would leave for a 4 or 5 hour ride up on the hills on a beautifull summers day. Never used to last though and just as we got to the end of the ride it would pour down. We never had waterproofs or topcoats so it was carry on and get the bikes washed. One memorable ride and we were 5 miles from Home. We could see the rain coming over the fields and put a spurt on to a Barn about 1 mile up the road. We passed a group of about 20 "Casual" riders that had stopped and we told them to follow us to the barn. We steamed off ahead and got to the barn just as the rain came down. Within minutes the road was ankle deep in flood water and the casual riders started to come in. They looked as though they had just crawled out of a muddy river and were thankfull for the advice to get to the barn.

Within 5 minutes the storm had passed- another 5 and the flood had gone and another 5 and the roads were dry. Got home and asked the wifes what the storm was like?

What Storm? was their reply. They had been basking in glorious sunshine and didn't even see a cloud.

And we have not had any significant rain for about 3 months now. And on looking at the garden- I don't think we have had any. This mornings ride has been about the nearest we have had to dampness. Up on the hills and it got cooler- windier and Cloudy within a couple of minutes. We were on the way home but down on the flatland we were in brilliant sunshine. Except my legs felt rain- the glasses had rain spots on them and I could see where the bike in front had travelled over the Asphalt. Didn't rain though.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in the rain is OK, but I hate the mess it makes of the bike, not to mention the migration of grit into all the bearings. I will ride my AL MTB in the rain - it's made for it but not my road bikes - only when I have little choice.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden in rain many times and don't really mind it in warm weather. I won't usually start a ride in the rain unless it is a ride I've paid to do or am otherwise somewhat obligated. Rain so hard I can't see or the presence of lightning or high winds is another matter. I may be crazy, but I'm not suicidal.

I have found a very effective way to avoid riding in rain. I have yet to have it rain on me when riding my Salsa Casseroll which is equipped with fenders to keep the water from slinging off my tires onto my bike and me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

That's a joke, ah say, that's a joke, son
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hate riding in the rain.

The white stripes and manhole cover become slick as ice. The engine oil film at the start of a rain is treacherous. The wet blurs your eyewear and if you take them off you get grit in your eyes. It wears your drive train down. Flats are more prevalent.

Still, a day riding in the rain beats a day at work...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last twelve miles of last weekend's ride with the Northwest Arkansas Roadies was in the rain. Fortunately, it was a nice garden rain with little or no wind and no lighting; however, it kinda puts the kibosh on drafting due to the rooster tail from the bike ahead. Also, I chose not to hammer down one of my favorite descents as I usually do. Even with said limitations, it was OK in the rain.

Edit: Once you're soaked, you're soaked. You can only get so wet.
    Last edited by doctor j; 07-11-10 at 08:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    I hate riding in the rain.

Still, a day riding in the rain beats a day at work...
    Riding in the rain is how I get to work and back home again, more often than not.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Arizona and spending the summer in northern Utah gives us little rain chances.
    Been there, done that. Gimme the sunshine!!!

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind getting caught in the summer downpours we have around here. It feels kind of nice. The water is generally bathtub warm, and I get a kick out of the roll and roar of thunder.
    My fixie has fenders. Last year, I just decided to leave them on. Previously, I had put them on only when t-storms were forecast, but we had so many thunderstorm days, I just left them on.
    Fenders are a godsend when it rains, or when you encounter the occasional murky puddle. Of course, being a glasses wearer becomes problematic in the rain. I do need to stop and wipe them off
    frequently. Oh well...

What gets me, is how I can get soaked in a cloudburst, ride out of it, and be dry in about 15 minutes once I make it back into summer sun and heat.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding in the rain. Oh my.

1. Some of my friends regard riding in the rain as a badge of courage. I don't.
    2. When it rains here, it's usually snowing in the mountains, and I'd rather ski. I go with what mother nature hands me.
    3. Riding in the rain can be dangerous. More slippery, less visible to motorists, more flats, more obstacles, slippery brakes ... you name it.
    4. Cleaning your bike up afterwards is a PITA.
    5. I've been rained on my share of the time. But I'll almost never start the day into a rain storm (the exception is #6 below)
    6. Despite 1-5, if I've planned to attend an organized ride and rain is in the forecast, I'm likely to suck it up and go anyway.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned from a "rain ride". Yet another in our season of heat, humidity, and thunderstorms.
    This one wasn't too bad, and quite frankly, it felt nice. The water was bathtub warm, and the wind was manageable. And then it simply stopped. Still dark though, and the you could see the lightening and hear/feel the rumble of thunder off in the distance.

Now really, doesn't this beat the pants off blazing sun? No? Well, how about this: A very pretty female cyclist went past in the opposite direction. And she was soaked. Yep, that lycra was just clinging to her like saran wrap. Now, doesn't that beat the pants off blazing sun? Life is good sometimes.

I'd hardly consider it a badge of courage. It's just something that happens. I did get caught in hail once. Now that stuff hurts.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't ridden in the rain for 6 or 7 days in a row, some kind of record for this year.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, you see a shower ahead, you're soaked in sweat and can't catch it. All that is left is hot road spray and evaporating water. Like we need any more humidity around here.

Brad

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a motorcycle year round so riding in the rain is just something you do to get somewhere. I just wish I could get fenders over the 32's I run on the Bridgestone.
    I owe-therefore I am.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    I'd hardly consider it a badge of courage. It's just something that happens.
    Agreed. As is often said in these parts, "It ain't nothin' but a thang".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so what is your bike-cleaning regimen after a wet ride? Do you take anything apart, or do you just clean off the visible grit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    so what is your bike-cleaning regimen after a wet ride? Do you take anything apart, or do you just clean off the visible grit?
    Generally the only time I clean my bike is if the drivetrain or brakes get gritty or gummed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was raining lightly this morning, I wanted to just ride on with only shorts and a jacket, but, it wasn't exactly "bath" temperature. ( something under 50F ) Wussed out and pulled on the rain pants and overshoes. Once I was warm enough, the ride was pleasant enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It rained here yesterday, on and off all day long. At times it came down very hard. Did I care?? NO STINKING WAY!!!!

I picked up my new cross check and was going to ride it no matter what! Well maybe not in a hurricane, but I think you get my point.

BTW; I ride a bicycle or a motorcycle all the time, no car. Yesterday I was just a bicycle day, and a good one at that.

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 2001 Fasback Comp; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd hardly consider it a badge of courage. It's just something that happens. I did get caught in hail once. Now that stuff hurts.
    Red badge of courage clubbers start a 100-200 mile ride in a blinding rain storm, and pedal through it all day. Mud. Rocks. All kinds of stuff. I'll go nearly that far on an organized ride I've planned and paid for (see http://tinyurl.com/2eakeca) but otherwise? Aaaahhhhhh...no.

Thunderstorms scare the crap outta me. I like em fine when I'm in that mobile Faraday cage known as an automobile, but not on a bicycle. On the 2006 Deathride, I had a strike that came within about 100 yards of me.

Well, how about this: A very pretty female cyclist went past in the opposite direction. And she was soaked. Yep, that lycra was just clinging to her like saran wrap. Now, doesn't that beat the pants off blazing sun? Life is good sometimes.
    OK ... ya got me there. I think we should all chip in to buy you a splash proof camera for your next ride.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing is that when I was Mountain biking- We rode no matter what the weather. Only exception was rain with Wind. That was the time to find something else to do.

And a word of warning on wind and rain and it was exceptional. Did a metric in rain in 2001. The wind was strong at the start and did not stop all day-the same with the rain. By the end of the ride we had horizontal rain with a headwind that was gusting to 70 mph. That was the nearest I ever got to hypothermia.

And Thunderstorms-- Went out on the Tandem on a training run at night in winter. Saw the thunderstorm coming over the hills as we got to the top. One strike very close and we realised- We were at the highest point of the hill and on the only metal conductor for miles around. After a further couple of close strikes- we were off that hill and in a local Pub. Still rode home in the rain- but after a few pints- we did not care.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    other than lightning, I dont care to ride in rain because motorists' visibility may be reduced. I do turn on my tail light. It doesnt feel as good to ride in the rain, and I do clean the bike after riding in the rain to get the grit out of the drive train and brakes.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    In the winter, my bike gets ridden in the rain every day. I usually just put it away wet. I make sure the chain stays relatively clean and well lubed. Once a week or so, I'll put it on a mechanic's stand, pull the wheels off, and give it a good cleaning, get all the gunk out of the drive train, and relube the chain.

I keep a bucket of bike-cleaning stuff right next to the mechanics stand so this is a very simple routine, takes 15 minutes or so, tops.