Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Lance

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bye Bye Lance

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 01:52 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Cannondale R2000, 11 years old and still kicking.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bye Bye Lance

What a bummer being tied up in 3 crashes. With 13.26 minutes behind the leader it looks as if Lance's hopes for another victory have all but vanished.

This bums me out. I was hoping to see Lance and the other big climbers battle it out. Oh well, thanks for the memories Mr Armstrong. You'll always be #1 in my book.

H.R.

Last edited by Heart_Rate; 07-11-10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 01:58 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes luck to win the Tour, along with great fitness, obviously. It goes to show how lucky Lance was during his 7 year run. All it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time and one's Tour is over. Ask the guys that crashed out on day one!
Old 07-11-10, 02:57 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Most of the top riders will depend on the rest of the team to get them the win or a high place. Radioshack is a new team and as of yet- they do not have the experience of a well established team that is set up to support one rider. Sky have realised this and they state that it will take 3 years before they expect to start getting somewhere near the top. On top of that- They do not have the riders that they expect to be able to win the big events.

Saying that and there are a "Few" riders that do not seem to need a "Team" behind them. Cadel Evans springs to mind immediately and possibly Contador- but the few exceptional riders that can do it on their own are few and far between.

But like all forms of racing- Luck pays a big hand in your results. It just seems that the lucky riders are the ones that have the skill and expertise to back it up and get results..

Spike Milligan
Old 07-11-10, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Heart_Rate
What a bummer being tied up in 3 crashes. With 13.26 minutes behind the leader it looks as if Lance's hopes for another victory have all but vanished.

This bums me out. I was hoping to see Lance and the other big climbers battle it out. Oh well, thanks for the memories Mr Armstrong. You'll always be #1 in my book.

H.R.
+100
I have been sad all afternoon--Every time I think of seeing the back of his mangled jersey....
Old 07-11-10, 03:50 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
There's nothing new about Team Radio Shack but the sponsor. They are last year's Astana team without Contador. Their director is the winningest TdF team director in modern history if not all time. That team was very capable of winning the race this year and they still have an outside chance at a podium position, but with Levi, not Lance.
It was sad to see Lance hit by such hard luck today as well as in stage 3 when a flat tire at the wrong moment probably ended any real chance he had of winning. After today, his chances are gone. I lost some of my admiration for Lance as a bike racer during last year's Tour, but I still think he has been a great champion, both on the bike and off. It will be very interesting to see if Lance is able to transition to the role of superdomestique or if he loses the passion and drops out of the race.

On another note, I would not have used a thread title suggesting the results of a stage on the same day. This one was not a total giveaway, but I would have been more careful not to be a spoiler.
Old 07-11-10, 03:59 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Cannondale R2000, 11 years old and still kicking.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
On another note, I would not have used a thread title suggesting the results of a stage on the same day. This one was not a total giveaway, but I would have been more careful not to be a spoiler.
Ooops sorry, my bad. I figured this late in the day especially on a Sunday everyone knew before I did.

H.R.
Old 07-11-10, 04:12 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Heart_Rate
Ooops sorry, my bad. I figured this late in the day especially on a Sunday everyone knew before I did.

H.R.
You are probably right. I just tend to be extra cautious about this after being burned in the past. The main responsibility is with the reader- don't go on a cycling website if you want to avoid cycling news. But I still try to avoid being the one to spoil it for someone. Old guys like us can forget sometimes.
Old 07-11-10, 04:22 PM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just think in 20 years Lance will join us on this forum and recant tales of his last TDF.
Old 07-11-10, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may in the minority here but I was not sad at all, in fact I was super happy with who did win. ( in case someone may still not know)
Old 07-11-10, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Under these unfortunate circumstances, seeing Lance give a 110% to help Levi would be a great way for Lance to end his career--even better than Lance winning a stage. I hope he doesn't soft pedal the rest of Tour
Old 07-11-10, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Should athletes go out at the top, or linger on and just seem to fade away? I think Lance could have chosen to go back to the triathlon. That way its a new thing, something different.
Old 07-11-10, 06:22 PM

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you guys watching this? All I get is Universal Sports on HDTV and all they have is Ping-Pong.
Old 07-11-10, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Athletes should go out when they are ready to. Controversial man, but a legend in his sport. I wish his tour hopes didn't end like this but maybe he can just enjoy the rest of the tour supporting his team and chasing a stage. I hope he gets one or two.
Old 07-11-10, 07:24 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Retired
Where are you guys watching this? All I get is Universal Sports on HDTV and all they have is Ping-Pong.
Versus. https://www.versus.com/blogs/2010-cyc...e-tv-schedule/
Also available online. https://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/
Old 07-11-10, 07:27 PM
just keep riding

I wonder how badly the ratings for the race broadcasts will drop when all the 99er LA fanboys bail.
Old 07-11-10, 08:24 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a sentimental Lance fan, but now I guess I'll be an ABC fan. Anybody but Contador.
Old 07-11-10, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by naisme
Just think in 20 years Lance will join us on this forum and recant tales of his last TDF.
I think you mean 11 years.

I'm not a fanboy but it was sad to watch, kinda like watching Willie Mays fall down in center field or, as Racer Ex said, like seeing Larry Holmes fight Muhammed Ali.
Old 07-11-10, 08:50 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
I think Lance could have chosen to go back to the triathlon. That way its a new thing, something different.
He's been there and done that before, too (triathlons).

I'm just glad someone else on his team has a chance to cut loose and show what he can do. The Tours between '00 and '05 were pretty dull from a sporting perspective.

I agree with whoever said LA should have a Floyd Landis beer (or whatever he imbibed on back in '06). *That* would be entertaining!

Here's a good post stage interview w/ Chris Horner.

Last edited by t4mv; 07-11-10 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added an external link
Old 07-11-10, 09:33 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I'm a sentimental Lance fan, but now I guess I'll be an ABC fan. Anybody but Contador.
Why? Because he didn't politely roll over and allow Lance to steal his team and his tour from him last year? I would have no respect for him if he had played along with what was going on.
Old 07-12-10, 03:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Were to find Tour Stuff

https://www.letour.fr/indexus.html. They have a good animated tracking system. Select "live" on the top left box on race day.

https://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Track...s-146448.shtml

https://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/mytrackstour/
Old 07-12-10, 05:40 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Why? Because he didn't politely roll over and allow Lance to steal his team and his tour from him last year? I would have no respect for him if he had played along with what was going on.
I just never liked him. Not saying he isn't a great rider, but as some people have always hated Lance, I dislike Contador. He just rubs me the wrong way.
Old 07-12-10, 05:41 AM
just keep riding

I just never liked him. Not saying he isn't a great rider, but as some people have always hated Lance, I dislike Contador. He just rubs me the wrong way.
Fair enough.
Old 07-12-10, 06:59 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Retired
If you have Comcast it's on Versus, channel 44 (non-HD) or channel 845 (HD).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 07-12-10 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 07:02 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Same here.

Gee, I thought I was the only person that felt that way about Contador.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-12-10, 07:11 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't get to watch the stage because my wife spent the evening watching reruns of Kate Plus 8

I caught the recap on the Velocast this morning and the Scots were absolutely funerial when they spoke of of Lance. They are pretty excited about Bert vs. Andy vs. Evans, and whether Vino will sabatage Bert and etc.

I'll stay tuned because I'm not a big Lance-ophile. Yes, he's done great work and is a top athelete and blah blah blah but I don't like the way he treats his women. It shows a serious character defect, IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.