Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fate is strange sometimes...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I rode the 'Hellbent for Breakfast' ride this morning with the local recumbent enthusiasts.

It's way across town and I transport my bike there via my van. While putting the Tour Easy back into the van at the end of the run, I noticed that one of my Planet Bike Super Flash tail lights had popped off.

That's a $30 light and two Ray-O-Vac rechargable Hybrid batteries. Those batteries aren't locally available anymore.

After a bit of contemplation I took an educated guess as to where it most likely popped off and drove towards that location. I parked in a nearby park, unloaded the bike and rode thru the area. I found the remnants of my poor tail light right where I thought I would. The batteries, the light, it was all squished by heavy traffic. I'll miss the batteries the most!

Now here's the cool part. While riding back to the park and my van, I picked up a tail. Unknown by me I was being followed by a nice old gent in a small SUV . He caught up to me as I reached my van and jumped out of his car all excited.

It turns out that he has Parkinsons Disease, is a cyclist, and his Neurologist had suggested he might be better off riding a recumbent rather than the mountain bike he had just recently crashed (not due to the Parkinsons). He couldn't believe his good fortune at actually getting to talk to a recumbentist (?) and even have the opportunity to sit on a recumbent. He was so excited that he had to zap himself a couple times with some little transmitter he uses to help control his symptoms!

I gave him the web address of an excellent dealer downstate and my name and e-mail address. We visited for a bit and I answered as many of his questions as I could.

As I watched him drive off, heading to the meeting that he was now going to be late for, I couldn't help but think.....because I was so concerned about a couple of silly litttle batteries this fellow was about to enter a new chapter in his life through the guidance of a reputable and knowledgable shop. I'm confident they won't steer him wrong. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope to see him ride by me sometime.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-11-10 at 02:04 PM. Reason: speling
Old 07-11-10, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I rode the 'Hellbent for Breakfast' ride this morning with the local recumbent enthusiasts.

It's way across town and I transport my bike there via my van. While putting the Tour Easy back into the van at the end of the run, I noticed that one of my Planet Bike Super Flash tail lights had popped off.

That's a $30 light and two Ray-O-Vac rechargable Hybrid batteries. Those batteries aren't locally available anymore.

After a bit of contemplation I took an educated guess as to where it most likely popped off and drove towards that location. I parked in a nearby park, unloaded the bike and rode thru the area. I found the remnants of my poor tail light right where I thought I would. The batteries, the light, it was all squished by heavy traffic. I'll miss the batteries the most!

Now here's the cool part. While riding back to the park and my van, I picked up a tail. Unknown by me I was being followed by a nice old gent in a small SUV . He caught up to me as I reached my van and jumped out of his car all excited.

It turns out that he has Parkinsons Disease, is a cyclist, and his Neurologist had suggested he might be better off riding a recumbent rather than the mountain bike he had just recently crashed (not due to the Parkinsons). He couldn't believe his good fortune at actually getting to talk to a recumbentist (?) and even have the opportunity to sit on a recumbent. He was so excited that he had to zap himself a couple times with some little transmitter he uses to help control his symptoms!

I gave him the web address of an excellent dealer downstate and my name and e-mail address. We visited for a bit and I answered as many of his questions as I could.

As I watched him drive off, heading to the meeting that he was now going to be late for, I couldn't help but think.....because I was so concerned about a couple of silly litttle batteries this fellow was about to enter a new chapter in his life through the guidance of a reputable and knowledgable shop. I'm confident they won't steer him wrong. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope to see him ride by me sometime.
As they say, God works in mysterious ways.
Old 07-11-10, 02:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry about the lamp- but you will get over that.

But try and meet up with this guy again. Get him out on the Tandem to teach him a few basics and get the feel of the thing. I know a Tandem doesn't give the same impression- but it would give him an insight to the different riding position and let him know if he can get on with a bent. I know I can't.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-11-10, 02:48 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some one up there smiled at you today!
Old 07-11-10, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
As I watched him drive off, heading to the meeting that he was now going to be late for, I couldn't help but think.....because I was so concerned about a couple of silly litttle batteries this fellow was about to enter a new chapter in his life, UNEMPLOYED because he was late for that meeting.
Just kidding around, really.

I too believe there is a reason things happen and it is all good. It would be cool to see if he does buy one and maybe get to ride with him.
Old 07-11-10, 06:46 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Sorry about the lamp- but you will get over that.

But try and meet up with this guy again. Get him out on the Tandem to teach him a few basics and get the feel of the thing. I know a Tandem doesn't give the same impression- but it would give him an insight to the different riding position and let him know if he can get on with a bent. I know I can't.
Excellent suggestion. Thank you.

It's amazing, since the wife's most recent M.S exaserbation this past April....I seldom remember I even have the tandem anymore. I'm very glad that you remembered. I believe he would like that idea a lot also.
Old 07-15-10, 05:09 AM

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Nice story... I'm not religious, but I'm quite spiritual and these sort of incidents remind me that in lots of small and often unexpected ways we're all here to help each other (come to think of it, I guess it's happening with these Forums).

I always thought if I was ever physically restricted a 3-wheeler would be good - there are some really cool ones around these days too.