Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know you're getting stronger when....

... you reach the top of an easy/moderate incline, wonder where that "really tough hill is" up ahead, and realize you just finished climbing it and it doesn't seem anything like the "tough hill" you used to dread.

... you are maintaining a pace for many miles with the faster riders in the front of the group and reach your destination with them, instead of miles behind like a few months ago...

... when the fastest rider you used to be miles behind says "you did great!" while you're still keeping pace with her at the end of the ride.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the above of course, but when the low numbers show up at the doctors office, it's a plus.
    George

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - that is a great feeling. How about when a metric is considered just a normal Saturday afternoon ride and no longer an "event"
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cyclinfool: Very true --- 50 miles used to be the next goal; now it's 70. 50 miles is getting shorter and shorter.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    ... you reach the top of an easy/moderate incline, wonder where that "really tough hill is" up ahead, and realize you just finished climbing it and it doesn't seem anything like the "tough hill" you used to dread.

... you are maintaining a pace for many miles with the faster riders in the front of the group and reach your destination with them, instead of miles behind like a few months ago...

... when the fastest rider you used to be miles behind says "you did great!" while you're still keeping pace with her at the end of the ride.
    WTG!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the above. In addition, one of my metrics is how I feel for the rest of the day and the next day after a tough ride. When I feel refreshed and not wiped out, I know that I am getting stronger.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When last year's challenges are dull.

When you're not paying attention to what gear you're in, and then suddenly check and realize you're a gear higher than you were last month.

When the misery of pushing yourself is no longer miserable.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You climb a hill pretty easily and realize that you're still in the big ring????
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....when your comfortable cruising pace is considered fast by the group's strong riders.

Hanging On
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, good to see you again. Congratulations on the good form! It does feel mighty good.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When those strong afternoon seabreezes no longer have you dreading the commute home during the hot summer weather.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    You climb a hill pretty easily and realize that you're still in the big ring????
    You climb the big hill easily -- on your fixed gear bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said above. The main question is can you go out and do it the same way tomorrow? To me that is when you are really getting stronger.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah the joy of knowing you are making progress. those hills are getting smaller and the wind is always at your back? nice feeling. time to change up the route.

Good to hear from you Yen.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When your riding partners are getting younger.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL - this reminds me of a time many years ago. As I remember, this hill was on the last day of a tour (when everyone was tired,) and looked like a cliff, with the road going straight up & over. It was the final hill in a long series of roller-coaster hills. Across both lines of the road was painted a giant smiley face, and although it was fairly steep, the reason the smiley face was there in the first place was that it was the last hill in the series. The hill was known as 'Mt Smiley.' Several years after getting my first recumbent, I was taking the hills hard, charging down under full power and then using my momentum to help get me over the next one. My head was down, figuratively, when at the top of one hill there was a big crowd of people. A friend saw me and yelled, "Hey John are you going to stop?" I responded back, "what for???" It was only after I'd responded and was looking for the inevitable next downhill that I realized there wasn't one and that must have been THE HILL. Gave me a rep that lasted for years.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you come up to a hill you used to spin up and you decide you can't bother downshifting, so you just stand up and power up it - and pass the bus. (okay, the buses here are REALLY slow, but still)

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I use similar perceived effort up a hill, it never seems to get any easier. However, when my form is good and I am stronger, I get up that hill quicker.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen There are a couple of things that tell me when I'm doing better...upshifting on 'the hill', the pace line is 2 MPH faster when I'm in front and how quickly I recover at a rest stop. Of those three the third is most important.

Brad

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...when you are riding with the usual buddies, and realize at the close of the ride that you lead the entire time.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...you increase your average speed 4 miles an hour per year. Last year, at age 74 I was doing 10 mph. This year, at 75, its 14 mph. At an annual increase of 4 mph by the time I am 80 I will be averaging 34 mph, right?
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, Sculpter7.

Brad

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me its when I loose the weight I promised myself I would loose. The last few pounds are always the toughest.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you're grinding your way up a long hill and thinking to yourself "I don't understand it. With the amount I've been riding, this ought to be getting easier." Then you look at your bike computer and realize you've ridden up it in a fraction of the time it used to take you.
    "I heard the music and I wrote to it. Some people beat drums, some people strum guitars. It's all in the music you hear" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You start out thinking "I'm going to take it easy today" and end up doing a PB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast