User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consolation ride

Saturday was supposed to be the Mt Greylock Century ride but due to a heavy downpour I made the wise choice and opted out. So today with beautiful weather I put in an 80 mile solo ride on rolling terrain - although only 4000' of climbing, far short of the 10K the century would have given me. Oh well - it was a wonderful ride anyway, an old favorite but this time I modified the course to eliminate a stretch on a rural highway - I got lost briefly but recovered nicely - only added 3 extra miles. I do this ride several times in the summer - I will probably do it two more times this year. I think to keep it from getting stale I will modify the course. I am on my 4th revision on this route - but next time I won't get lost...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After spending yesterday ambling about with wifey, I rode a bit (only 55 miles) and wrenched a bit today (repacking front hub bearings).

The riding was fine!! The wrenching.....well, I guess I need thinner cone wrenches for the Shimano Deore Hubs on the T.E.

I'll take it out for a nice long ride tomorrow and see if the hub stays relatively well adjusted. It's got a worn cone so a trip to the LBS will be in order anyway...they may just get a job repacking all my bearings too.

As for you getting lost....I am quite easily amused so getting lost is often my favorite part of any journey!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some wrenching too, swapping saddles, move my Sella Anatomica to the Simoncini and put the E3 back on the Tarmac. I was waiting until after the Greylock century to make the switch but I never anticipated I would not participate. Now I will have to go through the hassle of fine tuning both back in.

I have no real desire to repack bearings, I have not ever opened mine up, I actually thought they were sealed and did not need repacking, but I guess I'd better check now.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I developed a ticking sound a couple hundred miles ago. I really hoped it was my front wheel as I'm still a BB Virgin! Turned out to be the wheel.

When I got it apart I found that a ball bearing had been left out by who(m)ever serviced it last. That's the side with the slightly worn cone, the race looks O.K. I have lotsa spare balls (leave it alone) in the basement from bikes I've cannabalized, so I replaced the missing one and slapped it back together as best as I could with my inadequately fat cone wrench.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I developed a ticking sound a couple hundred miles ago. I really hoped it was my front wheel as I'm still a BB Virgin! Turned out to be the wheel.

When I got it apart I found that a ball bearing had been left out by who(m)ever serviced it last. That's the side with the slightly worn cone, the race looks O.K. I have lotsa spare balls (leave it alone) in the basement from bikes I've cannabalized, so I replaced the missing one and slapped it back together as best as I could with my inadequately fat cone wrench.
    Watch out for those bearings-once they get a bit worn you can fit an extra one in the race-------And yes I did this in my early days. Cost me a new hub.

But the balls are cheap enough- I always keep a packet of each size in my spares box and I NEVER put a new one- or a used one- into an existing set. I either leave alone or fit a complete new set.

And Cone wrenches- For years I used a cheap set I bought in my early days. They got used for various other nuts- funny how I can never find the right size proper spanner but the cone wrenches fitted. Rounded them off and a couple of years ago I bought a complete set of Park wrenches at as much for one spanner as I initially paid for the complete set. In fact as anyone building a hub will realise- I bought two of each size as that is what you need. Cost as much as a wheel but good tools are worth it.

Only problem is---I haven't used them since as most of my hubs have complete bearings fitted.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan