Thread: Bee sting

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    So what are you suggesting, jdon? That if we disguise our heads like giant bumblebees the real bees will be tricked into thinking we are their brethren and not sting us? Yesssss. Right then. Good idea.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling cap/do-rag would help.
    Stoker has never been stung while riding, pilot has. It's who's up front that counts!?
    Pedal on!
    Ruy and Kay/zonatandem

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagster View Post
    My biggest fear has always been sucking a bee or wasp down my throat.
    This almost happened to me but luckily the sting was on my soft palate. After nearly chocking and spitting out the bee, my fear was that it might swell up and block my respiration. Outside of hurting like the dickens there was no swell up and I finished my ride. I do use Headsweats which prevent inside the helmet stings not to mention scalp sunburns.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagster View Post
    My biggest fear has always been sucking a bee or wasp down my throat.
    Las t week, some kind of tiny bee flew in my mouth (about the size of a big ant). I spit him out without incident, but he landed on my knee and stung me there. I didn't know it was a bee until I felt the sting. I swatted him into non-existence before I could get a good look at him.

At least he didn't sting me in the mouth, or worse, per your fears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode through a small swam of bees yesterday. It was the strangest thing! After 'beeing' pummelled by the bees I checked to see if any were still on me and was surprise that there weren't any. (Another advantage to cycling clothes.) Then I thought of my helmet, so I stopped and checked, but no passengers.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RU55EL View Post
    I rode through a small swam of bees yesterday. It was the strangest thing! After 'beeing' pummelled by the bees I checked to see if any were still on me and was surprise that there weren't any. (Another advantage to cycling clothes.) Then I thought of my helmet, so I stopped and checked, but no passengers.
    Don't count on your cycling clothes. I was wearing a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack shorts Sunday when I got stung and that bee attacked right through them! I now have a red, itchy welt the size of a kumquat on my stomach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Don't count on your cycling clothes. I was wearing a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack shorts Sunday when I got stung and that bee attacked right through them! I now have a red, itchy welt the size of a kumquat on my stomach.
    I considered myself lucky! I figured that the cycling outfit helped but I know it is no guarantee.

I was riding a motorcycle years ago and got stung on my leg while at the same time noticed a bee flying around inside my full face helmet...that got the adrenaline pumping!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12