Thread: Bee sting

My Bikes
    Burley Tosa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bee sting

Have the traditional bike helmet, took in a bee this weekend. Hit my helmet, stunned 'em, blew inside and proceeded to sting me on th head. Any thoughts on simple prevention

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I can't help but to offer related advice: once the hill is over, ZIP BACK UP. I saw the bee about 3 ft out @35km/hr, and thunk into my chest an eyeblink later. It dropped down into the jersey and I was frantically trying to squish it by grabbing handfuls of the front of the jersey. Not sure about the success at that, I got my answer about 3 seconds later: stung in the kidney area, more towards the back. So I did the squishing thing in the back of the jersey just in case it wasn't dead from the sting. A little pain and redness but it didn't really interfere with the rest of the ride.

The funny part was taking my jersey off at home about 25km later (an hour or so). Bee (a bumblebee) falls out, still alive on my bedroom carpet. He's hitched quite the ride...

As for helmets, the only answers are all unsatisfactory - a cap under the helmet kills its ventillation, as do smaller (ie. smaller than a bee) vents. Those Catlike Whisper helmets look like real bug magnets...

As for ME ... zip up!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No advice on the helmet. The last time I was stung, the bee lodged into the chin strap. I'm unfortunately one of those alergic to bee's so I carry an epipen and a phone so they'll be able to find the body.
    Just take it

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode through a swarm a few days ago and came out without a sting. Took my helmet off right away and there were 4 or 5 inside. I wear a cycling cap under the helmet so that offers some protection. There are also helmet covers if you can find one.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R2000, 11 years old and still kicking.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just HTFU!....HA!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already wear a bandanna or similar to soak up sweat and keep the sun from burning my bald head. Beyond that, I wouldn't do much to avoid a rare occurrence like a bee sting at the cost of blocking air flow on every ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you lose more hair on the head, one needs to wear a bandana or similar to avoid sunburn and related skin cancer through the vent holes. Just wait a few years!!

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had no problem with my helmet (yet), however a wasp slipped in to one of socks while I was riding. I didn't know it until it stung the front of my ankle and I couldn't get it out! That really hurt!

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe one of those food server hair nets over your helmet...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a Head Sweat cap under my helmet. It has saved me from stings numerous times. It almost seems as if everytime I ride without one, something flies into my helmet and I have to stop and get it out.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My helmets have a removable Mesh insert to stop the critters getting in. Have had a few bees inside the helmet and the noise is deafening.

I purposely bought the MET helmet for the insert- and it was comfortable and the Rudy Project has one aswell. Unfortunately- with the insert the helmets are not as comfortable so I never use them.

On average I make 3 very quick stops a year to take the helmet off before it gets painfull. I vow to put the insert in before the next ride- but it is only 3 rides a year at worst so haven't bothered.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started thinking about what i could put over the holes in the front of my helmet after getting a trapped wasp out of it. It did not sting me and it flew away. Been stung 3 times by bees, ankle, thigh and arm. Not allergic so i just keep going without stopping. Had bugs behind my sunglasses more than once and had to clear them out. Was thinking of trying putting some Suran clear plastic wrap over just the front part of helmet to see how much air flow would be stopped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of people gluing screen or mesh of some kind inside their helmets. I've never tried it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RochMNTandem View Post
    Have the traditional bike helmet, took in a bee this weekend. Hit my helmet, stunned 'em, blew inside and proceeded to sting me on th head. Any thoughts on simple prevention
    Change places with your stoker!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding on a trail last year I passed a bee hive. Poor bee AND i crossed paths. Somehow it was behind my knee as my foot was coming up.

Squashed the poor thing... the sudden pain I thought I blew my knee out. lol

My Bikes
    Giant "Rainier"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last September I was about 7 miles out on a dirt forest service trail. I was going down a hill when I saw in a split second, a yellow jacket right before it hit my eye. I closed my eyes as it hit and within a second it felt like a hot coal was stuck in my eye and my face was on fire. I locked the brakes with both eyes closed and was fortunate not to tumble. I poured my water over my face and immediately turned around and very slowly, as not to get my heart cranking any more than it was, headed back to the truck. By the time I got back my right eye was completely swollen shut. I was more concerned about shock reaction but that worked out ok.

As far as bee advice? Ride in the winter I guess.
    http://www.homeairdirect.com Hey! It's What I Do

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Wilier Mortirolo Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll probably never happen again, but if it does, just dismount and let the little beggar fly away. Just be grateful it wasn't a hornet.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend has a Limar helmet. It comes with a built in mesh. I wonder if the designer was stung at some time.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time, let 'em find their own way out of the helmet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear bee stings will cure arthritis. Maybe this was a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd View Post
    Last September I was about 7 miles out on a dirt forest service trail. I was going down a hill when I saw in a split second, a yellow jacket right before it hit my eye. I closed my eyes as it hit and within a second it felt like a hot coal was stuck in my eye and my face was on fire. I locked the brakes with both eyes closed and was fortunate not to tumble. I poured my water over my face and immediately turned around and very slowly, as not to get my heart cranking any more than it was, headed back to the truck. By the time I got back my right eye was completely swollen shut. I was more concerned about shock reaction but that worked out ok.

As far as bee advice? Ride in the winter I guess.
    I never ride without eye protection. Very cloudy days i have clear, rest of the time sunglasses. When the closing speed is 30 to 40 mph you have to have protective eye wear. Even at slow speeds its hard to react in time from bugs hitting your face.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I hear bee stings will cure arthritis. Maybe this was a good thing.
    They don't cure arthritis, they just hurt so much you forget about your other problems!

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if 94 degree temp. wasn't uncomfortable enough to ride in today, I got stung by a bee right through the spandex on my lower abdomen!
    (That really HURT, Charlie!)

My Bikes
    cannondale f600 mongoose crossway 850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest fear has always been sucking a bee or wasp down my throat.

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast